Steam EA Sale - Tuesday - No thanks.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JN_Fenrir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JN_Fenrir
Member since 2004 • 1551 Posts

Well, this is disappointing.

Bad Company 2 is a meager 33% off, leaving it at $33.49.

You can also get the Battlefield 2 collection for $14.99, which is $5 more than during the Direct2Drive sale a few months ago.

Now, I'm not saying these games aren't worth the prices they're asking, but c'mon, seriously? This sale is only going to be ON STEAM, and for 24 HOURS. Would have really killed them to cut those prices down a little more? What a joke. :x

Stingy creeps.

Super-Trooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Super-Trooper
Member since 2004 • 1591 Posts

Yeah lets make a game that is a whole 3 months old 50-75% off!

LordRork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#3 LordRork
Member since 2004 • 2692 Posts

33% is never "meagre" in my book. That's a substantial discount.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

LordRork

Not if you count that the 33% is applied to its launch price.

Remmib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Remmib
Member since 2010 • 2250 Posts

LordRork
It was $20 on EA's website not too long ago. Also, the discount on BF2 is much less than what Steam has had in the past.
Empirefrtw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Empirefrtw
Member since 2006 • 1324 Posts

It may only be 3 months but I can agree BFBC 2 isn'y worth 33 dollars with all the bugs in multi and the single player campaign isn't that good.

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts

WOW, Just WOW! Its still such a new game and your complaining that its not cheap enough....... I simply cant believe some people!

su1sl1de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 su1sl1de
Member since 2007 • 40 Posts

i suppose you would want a 100 percent discount for the game instead of supportingh a good developer, ok i guess this is why consoles are getting our developers and giving us the shaft from people like the TC who are stupid **** whining **** about everything. Gamers are really jsut stupid sometimes.

JN_Fenrir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JN_Fenrir

I'm just saying, it's a ONE-DAY SALE. How bad would it really have hurt them to offer a really good deal on it for that short period of time? The only people who haven't bought the game at this point are stragglers who are waiting for that killer deal anyway, or they're people who don't really use Steam and wouldn't have even known about it. They're missing the mark completely here.

Gamartto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Gamartto
Member since 2003 • 1987 Posts
33% off is a nice discount for a 3 months old game, or do I need to remember you guys that MW2 discount was 15%-17%, just enough to put it at a regular priced game ($50) even when the game is 6+ months old. Btw, you guys are missing the point MoH is priced $60.
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

I'm just saying, it's a ONE-DAY SALE. How bad would it really have hurt them to offer a really good deal on it for that short period of time? The only people who haven't bought the game at this point are stragglers who are waiting for that killer deal anyway, or they're people who don't really use Steam and wouldn't have even known about it. They're missing the mark completely here.

JN_Fenrir
Are they? Do you know and have analyzed their sales numbers? Do you have historical data projecting sales trends for their previous games and certain price points and dates? I dunno, maybe you do, but I'd wager you don't. Either way, here's one thing I can guarantee you...they *do* have this data...and the price point it's set at wasn't just picked out of a hat.
Remmib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Remmib
[QUOTE="JN_Fenrir"]

Renevent42
Are they? Do you know and have analyzed their sales numbers? Do you have historical data projecting sales trends for their previous games and certain price points and dates? I dunno, maybe you do, but I'd wager you don't. Either way, here's one thing I can guarantee you...they *do* have this data...and the price point it's set at wasn't just picked out of a hat.

You realize they had this game priced at $20 on their own website before right?
TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

I guess I gotta skip this, im pretty near broke anyway.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Renevent42
[QUOTE="Renevent42"][QUOTE="JN_Fenrir"]

Remmib

You realize they had this game priced at $20 on their own website before right?

You realize the traffic/consumer base to their website =/= the traffic/consumer base as steam? There's many other considerations as well...
benbond332

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 benbond332
Member since 2003 • 68 Posts
Well, 33% would normally be a good discount... ...if the base price weren't 50 euro lol.
JN_Fenrir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JN_Fenrir
[QUOTE="JN_Fenrir"]

Renevent42

No, it was picked out of a pocket. Mine and yours, to be exact. :P I'm not totally idealistic, I realize they're a business and that they have ends to meet. And again, I am in no way saying the game isn't worth $34, but considering that (a) it's already been on sale for cheaper, and (b) the fact that they've hyped it up with a one-day sale, I'd dare say it's feasible that they could have been a little more generous.
Remmib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Remmib
You realize the traffic/consumer base to their website =/= the traffic/consumer base as steam? There's many other considerations as well...Renevent42
I realize this, but word gets around quick.
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Renevent42
[QUOTE="Renevent42"][QUOTE="JN_Fenrir"]

JN_Fenrir

No, it was picked out of a pocket. Mine and yours, to be exact. :P I'm not totally idealistic, I realize they're a business and that they have ends to meet. And again, I am in no way saying the game isn't worth $34, but considering that (a) it's already been on sale for cheaper, and (b) the fact that they've hyped it up with a one-day sale, I'd dare say it's feasible that they could have been a little more generous.

Well when it was cheaper it was from their site right? Well I'm just guessing here, but steam isn't a charity either and they take a chunk of the profit too...could be why it's higher. Either way, you said it yourself the game is worth the price...so is this really worth complaining about.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

Btw, you guys are missing the point MoH is priced $60.Gamartto
Yep for Americans, they are finally selling games at the same price as Europe (still slightly less).

It's still 50€ here, just like most new games. ;)

P.S You can find it retail for around 30$ so Steam's deal for this overpriced game from Steam isn't that much of a deal.

JN_Fenrir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JN_Fenrir

[QUOTE="Renevent42"]You realize the traffic/consumer base to their website =/= the traffic/consumer base as steam? There's many other considerations as well...Remmib

And the $20 deal lasted for over a month.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Renevent42

[QUOTE="Remmib"][QUOTE="Renevent42"]You realize the traffic/consumer base to their website =/= the traffic/consumer base as steam? There's many other considerations as well...JN_Fenrir

And the $20 deal lasted for over a month.

Again, from their own site, which has no 3rd party taking a nice healthy chunk of the profits. It also doesn't have the traffic steam has either (most likely) and it might have been a ploy to try and get more traffic their way. Basically saying "hey if you buy from us you get the best deal!"...might not have worked though.

And it really doesn't matter anyways, as they are going to price it at the point of where profit is maximized...if they feel more people on steam will buy it at that higher price point more power to them!

It's agreed that the game is more than worth it @ 33% off...are you really going to call them "stingy creeps" for trying to fairly sell their product? Man...PC gamers are something else!

JN_Fenrir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JN_Fenrir
It's agreed that the game is more than worth it @ 33% off...are you really going to call them "stingy creeps" for trying to fairly sell their product? Man...PC gamers are something else!Renevent42
$49.99 is "fairly selling their product". The whole point of a deal is to give the customer a deal. And again, this would be a lot better if they weren't trying to hype it up as some one-day, "you can't miss this" kind of thing.
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Renevent42
Last time I checked 33% off a game that's worth $50 in first place *IS* a deal... This isn't a case of stingy developers...it's a case of a spoiled gamer.
Timk1931

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 Timk1931
Member since 2005 • 698 Posts

I don't know if I should buy BFBC2 now or wait for a better deal. I already own BF2 and it might be interesting to try that beta but I'm still on the fence.

Rob_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Rob_101
Member since 2004 • 3291 Posts

Too bad. I would have bought BC2 if it was maybe 50% off. But I'm not that interested to buy it at only 33% off.

JN_Fenrir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JN_Fenrir
[QUOTE="Renevent42"]Last time I checked 33% off a game that's worth $50 in first place *IS* a deal... This isn't a case of stingy developers...it's a case of a spoiled gamer.

Yep. Spoiled by a plethora of better deals than this one. :P So did you buy the game yet?
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Renevent42
[QUOTE="JN_Fenrir"][QUOTE="Renevent42"]Last time I checked 33% off a game that's worth $50 in first place *IS* a deal... This isn't a case of stingy developers...it's a case of a spoiled gamer.

Yep. Spoiled by a plethora of better deals than this one. :P So did you buy the game yet?

I purchased it on release...and it was worth it. And there are better deals out there...like the Oblivion deal ($8.50 for Oblivion and all of it's DLC) I just got. But just because there are better deals out there, doesn't mean they are being stingy creeps. It's a great game and a good deal for a game that's already worth it's release price.
Rawtheory333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Rawtheory333
Member since 2005 • 474 Posts

It may only be 3 months but I can agree BFBC 2 isn'y worth 33 dollars with all the bugs in multi and the single player campaign isn't that good.

Empirefrtw

Haha! You're a funny guy. My 213hrs played so far MUST be a fluke of some sort...:roll:

Empirefrtw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Empirefrtw
Member since 2006 • 1324 Posts

Hey just because it is worth it to you doesn't make it worth it to me :).

JN_Fenrir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JN_Fenrir
It's a great game and a good deal for a game that's already worth it's release price.Renevent42
That's why I was hoping it would be cheaper today, heh. I'm one of those "stragglers" I mentioned earlier. I'd love to play the game, but I'm waiting for that really killer deal (because I'm an idiot and didn't get it when it was $20) to justify picking it up. And it is pretty hard to justify spending $34 on this game when I just capitalized on that $8.50 Oblivion GOTY deal you just mentioned, as well as Morrowind GOTY for $5. (I already owned them both, I just wanted digital copies) I dunno, maybe I'm just mad because this means I won't be buying a new game today. :P
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Renevent42
That does suck...it's always nice to have a new game lol. Maybe you shouldn't have passed up the $20 deal though...I mean I didn't even know about that but damn! That's an awesome deal... I'm sure somewhere down the line the game will get to that point again anyways, so just be patient.
flyingsnail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 flyingsnail
Member since 2009 • 793 Posts
I would have bought bc2 of it was something like 50% off. I think I will wait for the price to drop a bit more before I buy.
JN_Fenrir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JN_Fenrir
I would have bought bc2 of it was something like 50% off. I think I will wait for the price to drop a bit more before I buy. flyingsnail
That's exactly what I was hoping for. I think 50% would have been quite reasonable for such a short sale. Meh.
bluemustang16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 bluemustang16
Member since 2005 • 283 Posts

Well that's a shame. I skipped the 20$ deal awhile back as my pc wasnt quite up to the task, but now that ive got some more power I was hoping for a similiar deal, i'd have gone for it at 25 but not 34...

JN_Fenrir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 JN_Fenrir

Too bad. I would have bought BC2 if it was maybe 50% off. But I'm not that interested to buy it at only 33% off.

Rob_101
I would have bought bc2 of it was something like 50% off. I think I will wait for the price to drop a bit more before I buy. flyingsnail

Well that's a shame. I skipped the 20$ deal awhile back as my pc wasnt quite up to the task, but now that ive got some more power I was hoping for a similiar deal, i'd have gone for it at 25 but not 34...

bluemustang16
Yeah, I figured that a lot of people probably had the same thought in mind that I did. Good to see that confirmed. 50% off would have been the perfect price point. Oh well, maybe on the next sale.
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Renevent42
I don't know if 4 random people on a forum really confirms anything other than you 4 are too cheap lol. Considering you also skipped out on the $20 deal maybe you wouldn't get it regardless of price. 50% would have been the perfect price point for you 4...but you don't know what the perfect price point for EA/Dice is though. They may have sold a few more copies, but what you have to figure is if those extra few copies make up for the $8 less profit they make on each copy.
adv_tr00per

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 adv_tr00per
Member since 2006 • 2605 Posts

33% off is actually a lot for a game that just got released.

bluemustang16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 bluemustang16
Member since 2005 • 283 Posts

I don't know if 4 random people on a forum really confirms anything other than you 4 are too cheap lol. Considering you also skipped out on the $20 deal maybe you wouldn't get it regardless of price. 50% would have been the perfect price point for you 4...but you don't know what the perfect price point for EA/Dice is though. They may have sold a few more copies, but what you have to figure is if those extra few copies make up for the $8 less profit they make on each copy.Renevent42

I only skipped out on that deal because my PC didn't have enough power at the time, else i'd certainly have gone for it. Though I never buy my games at full price either, i'm sure plenty others do the same ;)

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Renevent42
I wasn't really addressing you with that comment, but regardless the point stands.
JN_Fenrir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 JN_Fenrir
I wasn't really addressing you with that comment, but regardless the point stands.Renevent42
Actually, you were. I quoted him in my post. I skipped out on the $20 deal because at the time, the game wasn't really on my radar. I had foolishly written it off without having really looked into it. Which I admit was dumb. :P
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Renevent42
[QUOTE="Renevent42"]I wasn't really addressing you with that comment, but regardless the point stands.JN_Fenrir
Actually, you were. I quoted him in my post. I skipped out on the $20 deal because at the time, the game wasn't really on my radar. I had foolishly written it off without having really looked into it. Which I admit was dumb. :P

No, I wasn't I was speaking to you and your point directly.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#42 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

WOW, Just WOW! Its still such a new game and your complaining that its not cheap enough....... I simply cant believe some people!

Daytona_178

I agree with this post. BC2 came out not logn ago, a 33% dicount is nice imo.

Complaining abotu steam when they give so many sales seems silly to me.

Mochyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Mochyc
Member since 2007 • 4421 Posts
A lot of people have been spoilt by steam sales. As many people have said, 33% is a lot for a recently released game. It's pretty much like all sales of recent games.
JN_Fenrir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 JN_Fenrir

[QUOTE="Daytona_178"]

kozzy1234

It's not cheap enough FOR A ONE-DAY SALE. For crying out loud, has nobody read this point in any of my posts? The whole premise behind only having a sale for one day is that the deal is SO GOOD, they're only running it for one day, and you DO NOT want to miss it. That is not the case here. Although I AGREE that 33% off is a nice discount, it's not cheap enough to make the game a must-buy, and it doesn't live up to the hype of an exclusive one-day sale. So there's really not much point in buying it today; they've kinda defeated the purpose of having an impulse sale.
costyssj4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 costyssj4
Member since 2005 • 473 Posts

Rob_101
Same.
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
I think the deal is good. Not good enough for me to buy and add to my backlog, but still good for a game that just came out.
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Renevent42

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

[QUOTE="Daytona_178"]

JN_Fenrir

It's not cheap enough FOR A ONE-DAY SALE. For crying out loud, has nobody read this point in any of my posts? The whole premise behind only having a sale for one day is that the deal is SO GOOD, they're only running it for one day, and you DO NOT want to miss it. That is not the case here. Although I AGREE that 33% off is a nice discount, it's not cheap enough to make the game a must-buy, and it doesn't live up to the hype of an exclusive one-day sale. So there's really not much point in buying it today; they've kinda defeated the purpose of having an impulse sale.

Where is it written that is the rules of a "one day sale"? Further more...it's not really a one day sale...it's simply part of a week long sale with different games on each day.

Anyways, I completely understand the thought that maybe this price point isn't right for you, or that you want to wait for it to drop down again. But taking it to this level pretending there's some rule on what discount can be applied to "one day sales" and claiming they are "stingy creeps" is really rediculous.

Solid_Tango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Solid_Tango
Member since 2009 • 8609 Posts
Thats what u thought too, i hope they have a better sale tomorrow.
flyingsnail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 flyingsnail
Member since 2009 • 793 Posts

I don't know if 4 random people on a forum really confirms anything other than you 4 are too cheap lol. Considering you also skipped out on the $20 deal maybe you wouldn't get it regardless of price. 50% would have been the perfect price point for you 4...but you don't know what the perfect price point for EA/Dice is though. They may have sold a few more copies, but what you have to figure is if those extra few copies make up for the $8 less profit they make on each copy.Renevent42

Excuse me but I don't consider myself cheap, I just know what I am willing to pay for the game and I am not willing to pay €33.49. I did NOT know about the deal on the ea website, furthermore if they can reduce the price to $20 once then they could do it again for a one day sale.

dsgsdfgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 dsgsdfgf
Member since 2005 • 1004 Posts

I agree. While it always is nice with discounted prices, I don't think it's that good of a deal since it's barely cheaper than retail.
If it was 50% off I may have been interested. Even if a game is 90% off I wouldn't consider it to be that good of a deal if I can pick it up from other places at that price normally.