Steam became leader of PC Gaming?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 0

#1 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts

What if Steam became the leader of PC gaming? Steam would provide focus, encouragement of quality and reliability and would help curve rampant piracy to increase customer base. Instead of Games for Windows, it would be Games for Steam. People who get a PC game would be required to have a steam account to register their game on Steam's program?

Thats not to say that Steam should have a monopoly over the community and multiplayer. Xfire, Games for Windows Live and others who want to join in would still compete over a community to be able to use their services.

PEELEDbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 PEELEDbanana
Member since 2006 • 2053 Posts
Isn't kind of like that already? It is either Steam or Games for Windows (and few other devs stay on their own, like Stardock and Blizz). Sounds like a good idea though.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

People who get a PC game would be required to have a steam account to register their game on Steam's program?Jd1680a
Umm, no? Yes Steam is good for DD, but no way in hell would I get games that can be played only through steam. The games that I want to play on Steam I get on Steam, but having all the games with such a requirement...no thanks.

P.S Steam doesn't do nothing to piracy and we don't play our games on Steam (as OS) we play them Windows/MAC/Linux/etc, it's like saying Games for Xfire, besides Steam isn't that great of a name to use as a Logo.

Tyson8earzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Tyson8earzz
Member since 2004 • 885 Posts
Going thru Steam is nice but the only drawback i have with steam is that my games are locked to my account and so when i get tired of the game, i cannot resell it. Thats the biggest problem i see with steam. Thats also why i dont have many steam games, only ones i really really want to play all the time like TF2
TheFragcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 TheFragcat
Member since 2008 • 2466 Posts

Going thru Steam is nice but the only drawback i have with steam is that my games are locked to my account and so when i get tired of the game, i cannot resell it. Thats the biggest problem i see with steam. Thats also why i dont have many steam games, only ones i really really want to play all the time like TF2Tyson8earzz

This is my main problem too.

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#6 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

i still prefer buying games in boxes but steam is quite good, it does the updates for your games so you don't have to bother going to the web and update urself.

Plus your account has all the games you own so if you go somewhere else and use steam you can still play those games ( however you have to update them, heavily) but still a good thing.

I hope Steam leads PC gaming, i really do, compared to what these others idiots are doing to pc gaming ( EA, honourably mentioned )

pvtdonut54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 pvtdonut54
Member since 2008 • 8554 Posts

[QUOTE="Tyson8earzz"]Going thru Steam is nice but the only drawback i have with steam is that my games are locked to my account and so when i get tired of the game, i cannot resell it. Thats the biggest problem i see with steam. Thats also why i dont have many steam games, only ones i really really want to play all the time like TF2TheFragcat

regnumekal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 regnumekal
Member since 2006 • 122 Posts

Isn't reselling your games another form of piracy? Yes it is.

CrazyFox_444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 CrazyFox_444
Member since 2005 • 664 Posts
Steam sucks ass i got banned for no obvious reason for cheating in CSS it stands on my VAC BAN but u know what they banned me from all the games then i bougth L4D and registered it to the same account since i already had alot in the friendlist once it was installed i got banned from a game a just installed Steam is a **** joke! i hate steam i wish osama bin ladens next target is steam HQ man i would laugh so hard if that happend
Avatar image for paraskhos_basic
paraskhos_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 paraskhos_basic
Member since 2002 • 1243 Posts
[QUOTE="TheFragcat"]

[QUOTE="Tyson8earzz"]Going thru Steam is nice but the only drawback i have with steam is that my games are locked to my account and so when i get tired of the game, i cannot resell it. Thats the biggest problem i see with steam. Thats also why i dont have many steam games, only ones i really really want to play all the time like TF2pvtdonut54

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
Steam is becoming the biggest retailer, i'm pretty sure that it's the biggest digital retailer and i know it's the biggest community (15mil) also a recent survy said 47% of hardcore gamers buy they're games via digital distrubution. Hopefully at some point they can get Blizzard involved and then maybe they can get them to intergrate it with WoW, which shouldn't be hard as WoW already uses online DRM.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 markop2003
Steam sucks ass i got banned for no obvious reason for cheating in CSS it stands on my VAC BAN but u know what they banned me from all the games then i bougth L4D and registered it to the same account since i already had alot in the friendlist once it was installed i got banned from a game a just installed Steam is a **** joke! i hate steam i wish osama bin ladens next target is steam HQ man i would laugh so hard if that happendCrazyFox_444
You cheated therefore VAC bans you, i'm pretty sure you're not banned from the game just all VAC servers, PunkBuster can do the same you know.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 markop2003

regnumekal
Legally it is, it has said so in the EULA for years but i think the goverment has overided them and said it's ok as long as none of the files are on your PC but don't qquote me on that
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#14 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

Steam doesn't do nothing to piracy =DanielDust
I'm sorry but this is incorrect. Steam required games, such as Team Fortress 2, such as left 4 dead stop zero day piracy. They do this simply by not including some essential small files the exact time of release. So manufacturing 3 or 4 weeks previously doesn't let leakers put the code on torrent sites. You stop zero day piracy and you increase the number of 1st day sales. Valve are doing pretty well out of it. I personally think stopping zero day piracy is a pretty big and useful step.

I don't think Valve would have the time or resources to lead the PC gaming platform. But I think they'd be a better choice than Microsoft.

Tyson8earzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Tyson8earzz
Member since 2004 • 885 Posts

regnumekal
Is it? So all the console owners who sell their unused and non played games are all pirates too? So i guess we ALL pirate games according to your statement. I buy a game, pay full retail price for it. Then sell the game for what... maybe a 80% loss. I dont think any of us profit from it and we dont keep the original software / box.. it goes to the new owner. But if you say thats piracy, then i guess the government allows it. So in the future, dont buy any used games at gamestop, or you will be committing to piracy as well (according to the above)
overseer99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 overseer99
Member since 2008 • 49 Posts

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]Steam doesn't do nothing to piracy =nutcrackr

I'm sorry but this is incorrect. Steam required games, such as Team Fortress 2, such as left 4 dead stop zero day piracy. They do this simply by not including some essential small files the exact time of release. So manufacturing 3 or 4 weeks previously doesn't let leakers put the code on torrent sites. You stop zero day piracy and you increase the number of 1st day sales. Valve are doing pretty well out of it. I personally think stopping zero day piracy is a pretty big and useful step.

I don't think Valve would have the time or resources to lead the PC gaming platform. But I think they'd be a better choice than Microsoft.

Steam games get pirated for offline play just like any other game. It's a myth that Steam games are any harder to pirate than any other game.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

You cheated therefore VAC bans you, i'm pretty sure you're not banned from the game just all VAC servers, PunkBuster can do the same you know.markop2003

No PunkBuster doesn't do that, it only kicks you out of the server for a few minutes, you can get a global ban only if you have a pirated game and you try to play online.

Imo Valve is doing the right thing, but they are way too harsh, you don't need to ban all the games and ban in general on hundreds of servers just because you cheated, not that I have/had any problems, but they are really exaggerating, and it's not like those that want to cheat can't bypass the cheat detection system, IF they really want to cheat.

[QUOTE="nutcrackr"] ...overseer99
Steam games get pirated for offline play just like any other game. It's a myth that Steam games are any harder to pirate than any other game.

He wasn't saying that they don't get pirated or that they are harder to pirate and I agree with him, but that's in terms of sale and it's important just for the company, but in max 1 week (TF , L4D, Portal) those games will appear on torrents, it does prevent piracy at launch and a few days, but overall it isn't really doing much in the long run.

And people don't pirate Valve games just for offline play, they pirate the online games too, there are lots of cracked servers for TF 2 for example.

arijit_2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#18 arijit_2404
Member since 2006 • 1558 Posts
In my opinion, Steam is already leader in digital distribution. But as of PC gaming industry, I doubt they are No. 1 now. But they are better than many many companies.