Starcraft 2: too hardcore?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CaptainCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

#1 CaptainCrazy
Member since 2002 • 6856 Posts
I'm very stoked about this series coming back to life. I played the original mostly for the single player and with personal friends via lan games and had a blast. I remember going online a few times for some battle.net matches and getting completely slaughtered. I never could get into that competitive multi-player because it was too unforgiving. So here I was trying my hardest to figure out which game to buy. I really like Starcraft but I just don't think I"ll have the time to invest in the multi-player component. In fact, the game is quite intimidating especially for newcomers or more casual gamers. I ended up buying Uncharted 2 instead since I have PS3 and it has a great multiplayer as well. I hope I won't regret the decision but I could always get Starcraft 2 later once I see more impressions of the game. Another problem I have is being spoiled by Sins of a Solar Empire's extremely simplified and streamlined RTS gameplay. SC2 is more old school micromanagement and extremely fast paced. So anyone else feel like me or do you think I'm a *****? :)
SLUSHiNaToR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SLUSHiNaToR
Member since 2009 • 1366 Posts
with starcraft 2's leagues, ranks, and overall matchmaking system.. you shouldn't have to be worried about getting slaughtered in games.
Taijiquan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Taijiquan
Member since 2002 • 7431 Posts

I'm very stoked about this series coming back to life. I played the original mostly for the single player and with personal friends via lan games and had a blast. I remember going online a few times for some battle.net matches and getting completely slaughtered. I never could get into that competitive multi-player because it was too unforgiving. So here I was trying my hardest to figure out which game to buy. I really like Starcraft but I just don't think I"ll have the time to invest in the multi-player component. In fact, the game is quite intimidating especially for newcomers or more casual gamers. I ended up buying Uncharted 2 instead since I have PS3 and it has a great multiplayer as well. I hope I won't regret the decision but I could always get Starcraft 2 later once I see more impressions of the game. Another problem I have is being spoiled by Sins of a Solar Empire's extremely simplified and streamlined RTS gameplay. SC2 is more old school micromanagement and extremely fast paced. So anyone else feel like me or do you think I'm a *****? :)CaptainCrazy

Your interest in the game would dictate your willingness to invest in the time it takes to get really good online. Every RTS I have played online has been like this. StarCraft 2 is really about the counters. Most of us will go online and get chewed up for awhile. For me, its still fun seeing the different strategies people use. I also have some close friends that will be picking this up so regardless of how often I get slaughtered, I will beable to enjoy games with some my friends either 3v3 with us vs the AI or if we play 1v1v1 or 1v1 or whatever. Pretty sure StarCraft 2 is going to be nothing short of amazing no matter how bad you get smoked online. Nice thing to me about a lot of RTS is that you could get rocked for 10 matches and winning that 1 makes it completely worthwhile. Reminds me a lot of golf and playing a crappy 17 holes but having 1 good one makes the day worth it. Or making it down a large mountain if you're a snowboarder, you could hit the deck 20 times but totally worth it if you nail a jump! :D

Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts
Matchmaking and leagues and ladders are really well built. If you arent good you get put in a lower league and you can practice there til you're good enough to move up. Other people in the league will be as good as you are and as you learn you will get better. I went into the beta not knowing how to play at all. I had never played SC1 and now Im pretty freakin decent. I just kept playing and learning and watching the videos and understanding what needs to be done and Im much much better now. And plus with the thousands more players that'll be joining the fray at release - you wont have a problem of having no one to play with on your level.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

Keep in mnd some intentionally good players will be sucky during their initial placement matches so they can fight lowered skilled people to inflate their scores in the long run. But for the most part, after he system evens all out, you should only be placed wiht people roguhly your skill level.

tricap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tricap
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
The game is hard to be good at but if you can find players at your level, like with the matchmaking system, then you can still have a great time playing this game. The game has a great interface, interesting units, and will probably have a great single player story.
tutt3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 tutt3r
Member since 2005 • 2865 Posts

play the custom variants, not hardcore at all

megatroneo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 megatroneo
Member since 2010 • 115 Posts

ha. whats ironic is that many "hardcore" starcraft players find starcraft II not "hardcore" enough. a lot of the mini-micromanagement has been taken out of players hands. the game is friendlier to newer players, so i'm sure you'll be able to compete at any skill level. an appropriate analogy would be original starcraft = CS:S while starcraft II = COD4.

Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Mograine
Member since 2006 • 3666 Posts

tutt3r

:| Wat

wigan_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 wigan_gamer
Member since 2008 • 3293 Posts
I have never played starcraft and will be buying this :) I doubt it will be as unforgiving as HoN, that game was brutal to new players, even in non ranked games I found.
Theguy56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#11 Theguy56
Member since 2003 • 1379 Posts

ha. whats ironic is that many "hardcore" starcraft players find starcraft II not "hardcore" enough. a lot of the mini-micromanagement has been taken out of players hands. the game is friendlier to newer players, so i'm sure you'll be able to compete at any skill level. an appropriate analogy would be original starcraft = CS:S while starcraft II = COD4.

megatroneo
"Hardcore" gamers always complain about a sequel.
KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts

If the new b.net did not use the match making system then the above person for example. Would be killed so much that he would probably stop playing.

The entire goal of the system is that it try to force you to allways have 50%win and 50%l...

If you start to go above 50% then you will fight someone on a higher rank / league then you. If you win you will get promoted etc etc. Overall... The best idea blizzard had with b.net2

gunmaster55555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 gunmaster55555
Member since 2009 • 712 Posts

[QUOTE="tutt3r"]

Mograine

:| Wat

custom games. There are a ton and they are pretty fun. I personally play competitively and would say i'm pretty good beat some top players ^^. Now there is a new match making service that will be great for you. If you aren't very good you'll be placed in lower leagues silver, bronze. And you will only play those type of players (which are pretty bad). You will maintain a 50/50 win/loss ratio at the minimum so I wouldn't worry about getting your face eaten alive :)
Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Mograine

custom games. There are a ton and they are pretty fun. I personally play competitively and would say i'm pretty good beat some top players ^^. Now there is a new match making service that will be great for you. If you aren't very good you'll be placed in lower leagues silver, bronze. And you will only play those type of players (which are pretty bad). You will maintain a 50/50 win/loss ratio at the minimum so I wouldn't worry about getting your face eaten alive :)gunmaster55555

Look at my avatar, mate.

I was puzzled about the "not hardcore at all" part.

Some SC custom maps are way more hardcore than most of the games we see on the market today.

kdawg88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kdawg88
Member since 2009 • 2923 Posts
Harcore is what I like. Use Map Settings games are not harcore though.
Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Mograine

Harcore is what I like. Use Map Settings games are not harcore though.kdawg88

Just wait for the serious stuff to roll. I'll show you what's hardcore in custom maps 8)

coolmonkeykid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 coolmonkeykid
Member since 2004 • 3276 Posts
ive got a %50 win rating on supreme commander's 1v1 ladder so I shouldn't have to much trouble with this game.
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
That is one thing that is on my mind. I really want to get this, but I do not want to just get slaughtered. My friend said that with the new league system and such it should really help noobs like me out when it comes to online.
Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

Now my question to you guys..Are there people out there who will be able to help you learn..Such as noobs as myself an the other guy who never played sc..Bought the game a long time ago..Just never got into it..Matter of fact bought it when it first came out...Im interested in this game now though how ever to see what the hype is..Im trying to read an learn abut the game in magz an stuff..Some times though learning online is better than reading..Like can you team up with some one more experiance an he can show you the ropes..Are there nice enough folks out there who will help..Could it be filled with annoying kids like the cod world is..Its one reason i dont play cod..Some little 9 year old laughing at me an just being a moron doesnt sit with me to well..Id like a more mature game with mature players an such..Is there rooms for this also???

MrLions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 MrLions
Member since 2007 • 9833 Posts
No ones safe from the Koreans they'll find a way to get through everyones matchmaking systems....we're all DOOMED DOOOMED! :cry:
CaptainCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#21 CaptainCrazy
Member since 2002 • 6856 Posts
Yeah I am terrified of the Koreans, i hope they put them on their own server :S