Stalker sold 1.65 million copies

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Franko_3 (5728 posts) -

I found this linky. You can see my mad russian skills in action lol, I hope I made a good traduction, it tooks me 1 hour lol. I am still trying to learn the cyrillic.

90000 copies sold in Ukrainia, a record for the country

more than 700 000 physicals copies were sold at full price worldwide. The game sold about 300 000 copies on steam. I believe it's the first time a third party develloper gave the number of copy he sold though Steam

edit:

Damn google translator is better than me :(

You guy are right, I dunno why I readed 950 000 copies solds in the world + 90 000 in Ukrainia. The 700k physical copy number was pretty strange to read, so I made (950 000+90000)-700 000 to get the Steam number :

Actually it's 950 000 copies sold in the ex-soviet union territory

700k sold everywhere else in the world at full price. For a grand total of more than 1.65 million copies sold at the end of the third quarter of last year. That mean digital distribution number from the steam Chrismas sale are not included. The game might be around 2 million now.

#2 Posted by mismajor99 (5658 posts) -
That's great news for a great shooter. Good for GSC. That's also good numbers for STEAM as well. Not to bad at all. Can't wait for STALKER Clear Sky.
#3 Posted by naval (11109 posts) -
good to see that ! the game deserved it. also it shows how much prominent digital distribution has become
#4 Posted by ElArab (5754 posts) -
Wow, so they pretty much got 30% more sales through steam (for only 15 bucks though, not full price.).
#5 Posted by with_teeth26 (6324 posts) -
Thats great. and considering you didn't need the disk to play, thats really great.
#6 Posted by prasath_amd (278 posts) -
I am happy but why did it took so much time for such a great game to sell 1 million copies? :(
#7 Posted by mark_a (42 posts) -
I am glad S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is selling well it is a great game.
#8 Posted by dipper145 (1425 posts) -
Yeah stalker is a really good game, I'm glad it is selling well, need games like that to sell well so people will continue to make these kind of games.
#9 Posted by mismajor99 (5658 posts) -

I am happy but why did it took so much time for such a great game to sell 1 million copies? :(prasath_amd

Considering that there was no marketing campaign behind the game beyond a few magazine ads(Like just about any PC Gamer), that's not bad. Most PC Games like this from an extremely small developer take a while before they reach platinum status. It's pretty much us, the community, that drive sales by word of mouth. Either way, that's really good numbers.

#10 Posted by wanzmot (28 posts) -
it deserves.
#11 Posted by ElArab (5754 posts) -

[QUOTE="prasath_amd"]I am happy but why did it took so much time for such a great game to sell 1 million copies? :(mismajor99

Considering that there was no marketing campaign behind the game beyond a few magazine ads(Like just about any PC Gamer), that's not bad. Most PC Games like this from an extremely small developer take a while before they reach platinum status. It's pretty much us, the community, that drive sales by word of mouth. Either way, that's really good numbers.

Yeah there is hardly any marketing for PC except at conventions, online ads (and community), and magazine ads, and hell, this game didn't even have a demo!

#12 Posted by _Pedro_ (6829 posts) -
to be quite honest I wasn't expecting that. It got absolutely no advertisement and I went completly under the radar. Gotta admit though that digital distribution is a life saver for pc gaming.
#13 Posted by kozzy1234 (35377 posts) -
Thinking about getting this game on steam soon :)
#14 Posted by nutcrackr (12890 posts) -
300,000 on steam, wow that is a much larger number than I would have thought.
#15 Posted by nutcrackr (12890 posts) -
I passed it through google translator and got 950000 copies in the CIS, 700k ROW. Shouldn't that be almost 1.7 million?
#16 Posted by _Pedro_ (6829 posts) -
where does it say that it sold 300k on steam though?
#17 Posted by mfsa (3328 posts) -

It's so cool to see games from first-time devs pushing a million units. I got the Collector's Edition of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Hopefully their next game will sell even better.

#18 Posted by Jebus4life (141 posts) -
great news for pc gaming in general!
#19 Posted by crozon (1168 posts) -

if stalker sold 300,000 copies on steam, and lets take it at the new low price of $20. that $6,000,000.

Ok both the devs and valve just made a bundle of cash :) happy days

#20 Posted by naval (11109 posts) -

I passed it through google translator and got 950000 copies in the CIS, 700k ROW. Shouldn't that be almost 1.7 million?nutcrackr

true, i also tried to tranlate it using babelfish, it game "In CIS S.T.A.L.K.E.R. it were sold by print run into 950 000 copies. Legal. From them in the Ukraine - 90 000."

#21 Posted by Baranga (14217 posts) -

It's so cool to see games from first-time devs pushing a million units. I got the Collector's Edition of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

mfsa

It's not a first-time dev.

They made kinda bad shooters, like Firestarter.

They made brilliant strategies: Cossacks, a series of strategy games set in the 17-18th century, with 64000 units on-screen!

They made average games, like Heroes of Annihilated Empires or Alexander (the official movie game:P).

#22 Posted by mfsa (3328 posts) -
[QUOTE="mfsa"]

Baranga

They made brilliant strategies: Cossacks, a series of strategy games set in the 17-18th century, with 64000 units on-screen!

They made average games, like Heroes of Annihilated Empires or Alexander (the official movie game:P).

Wow, I own Cossacks. I didn't realise. I'm not a very observant person. I guess that's cool to know, then.

#23 Posted by Erandel (1164 posts) -
Its good to see it has finally sold well, however, they now need to work on fixing bugs for their initial release - the first release was so buggy that it was unplayable for many folks, and some of them needed to upgrade their RAM as well.
#24 Posted by EntwineX (5858 posts) -

[QUOTE="nutcrackr"]I passed it through google translator and got 950000 copies in the CIS, 700k ROW. Shouldn't that be almost 1.7 million?naval

true, i also tried to tranlate it using babelfish, it game "In CIS S.T.A.L.K.E.R. it were sold by print run into 950 000 copies. Legal. From them in the Ukraine - 90 000."

Yeah that's what I got from it too.

950,000 in CIS(Old Soviet Countries?)
700,000 in other parts of the world
~1.7m total worldwide

I'd like to know where TC got that 300K Steam sales, since we never get any info on DD it would be interesting to know some confirmed figures.

#25 Posted by zeus_gb (7793 posts) -
Great to hear Stalker has past the one million mark, now if only GSC would release the 1.1 patch with freeplay.
#26 Posted by Baranga (14217 posts) -

EntwineX

Commonwealth of Independent States, eleven former USSR republics, used by Russia to maintain its influence over them. Ukraine is part of it, and I guess Stalker sold well especially in Russia and Ukraine.

#27 Posted by _Pedro_ (6829 posts) -
[QUOTE="EntwineX"]

Baranga

Commonwealth of Independent States, eleven former USSR republics, used by Russia to maintain its influence over them. Ukraine is part of it, and I guess Stalker sold well especially in Russia and Ukraine.

so that means stalker sold 1,7million copies world wide which is a lot.

#28 Posted by Baranga (14217 posts) -
[QUOTE="Baranga"][QUOTE="mfsa"]

mfsa

Wow, I own Cossacks. I didn't realise. I'm not a very observant person. I guess that's cool to know, then.

I just remembered the vodka in Stalker is called Cossacks, and it has the game's logo:lol:

#29 Posted by Franko_3 (5728 posts) -

You guy are right, I dunno why I readed 950 000 copies solds in the world + 90 000 in Ukrainia. The 700k physical copy number was pretty strange to read, so I made (950 000+90000)-700 000 to get the Steam number :\

700k sold everywhere else in the world at full price. At the end of the third quarter of last year. That mean digital distribution number from the steam Chrismas sale are not included. The game might be around 2 million now.

#30 Posted by Mehfuz (10288 posts) -
This game deserves big sale
#31 Posted by _Pedro_ (6829 posts) -

You guy are right, I dunno why I readed 950 000 copies solds in the world + 90 000 in Ukrainia. The 700k physical copy number was pretty strange to read, so I made (950 000+90000)-700 000 to get the Steam number :\

700k sold everywhere else in the world at full price. At the end of the third quarter of last year. That mean digital distribution number from the steam Chrismas sale are not included. The game might be around 2 million now.

Franko_3

that's pretty damn good if you ask me. Who would've thought that?

#32 Posted by naval (11109 posts) -
[QUOTE="Franko_3"]

_Pedro_

that's pretty damn good if you ask me. Who would've thought that?

yeah quite good

#33 Posted by johan1986 (4764 posts) -
Much better then I expected
#34 Posted by mismajor99 (5658 posts) -
Wow, that's even more impressive. What happened TC? :P
#35 Posted by neatfeatguy (3636 posts) -

STALKER had TV commercials. I'd see them every once in a while when STALKER first came out. It's been a while, since I've seen any....but then again, I don't watch much TV.

#36 Posted by artur79 (4679 posts) -
Yeah, it says that 950.000 copies were sold in former Soviet countries, while 700.000+ copies were sold worldwide, full price (I assume he means the rest of the world). That's pretty impressive. One thing I don't understand is where all this speculation about Steam sales comes into picture?
#37 Posted by Franko_3 (5728 posts) -

Yeah, it says that 950.000 copies were sold in former Soviet countries, while 700.000+ copies were sold worldwide, full price (I assume he means the rest of the world). That's pretty impressive. One thing I don't understand is where all this speculation about Steam sales comes into picture?artur79

I did not translate the CSI part correctly, I figured it was the worldwide sale of the game, exluding the number for Ukrainia. Right after, they said that they sold 700k physical copies of the game at full price worldwide. I figured that the 300k left were digital distribution sale.

#38 Posted by artur79 (4679 posts) -

[QUOTE="artur79"]Yeah, it says that 950.000 copies were sold in former Soviet countries, while 700.000+ copies were sold worldwide, full price (I assume he means the rest of the world). That's pretty impressive. One thing I don't understand is where all this speculation about Steam sales comes into picture?Franko_3

I did not translate the CSI part correctly, I figured it was the worldwide sale of the game, exluding the number for Ukrainia. Right after, they said that they sold 700k physical copies of the game at full price worldwide. I figured that the 300k left were digital distribution sale.

Oh, okey.

Nice thread. More of these, less "PC is dying".

#39 Posted by TeamR (1818 posts) -
Oh, okey.

Nice thread. More of these, less "PC is dying".

artur79

But but...you heard Cliffyb. The PC gaming scene is in disarray! You actually need to make a GOOD game in order to make money. What kinda crap is that? We should be more like console gamers and buy whatever slop they throw at us