STALKER is going to run horrible. read this

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ncderek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 ncderek
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts
this is just funny. the game doesnt look anywhere near good enough for what the makers said:

There's also the question of how the game will perform on a technical level. We tried running our preview build on high-end machine with a dual-core CPU and GeForce 8800, and would routinely take 5 minutes to load a level before unceremoniously crashing. We eventually ended up running the game at a low-res 800x600 setting on a older XPS Dell 500, getting maybe 20 frames a second and crashing every 15 minutes or so (which kept us from progressing too far into the game).
frost_mourne13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 frost_mourne13
Member since 2006 • 1615 Posts
forgive me if im wrong but i think this has been discussed in the stalker game forums, and the game hasnt gone gold yet. Optimization is the last step of making a game
zero9167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 zero9167
Member since 2005 • 14554 Posts
forgive me if im wrong but i think this has been discussed in the stalker game forums, and the game hasnt gone gold yet. Optimization is the last step of making a gamefrost_mourne13
exactly.
frost_mourne13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 frost_mourne13
true dat. oblivion wit guns and radiation. woohoo
im not being sarcastic either
kpsting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kpsting
Member since 2005 • 2452 Posts
[QUOTE="ncderek"]this is just funny. the game doesnt look anywhere near good enough for what the makers said:

There's also the question of how the game will perform on a technical level. We tried running our preview build on high-end machine with a dual-core CPU and GeForce 8800, and would routinely take 5 minutes to load a level before unceremoniously crashing. We eventually ended up running the game at a low-res 800x600 setting on a older XPS Dell 500, getting maybe 20 frames a second and crashing every 15 minutes or so (which kept us from progressing too far into the game).

how much RAM did they have?
frost_mourne13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 frost_mourne13
guys, go here to talk about stalker...you will probably find answers to your questions there.
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/stalker/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-33425112&pid=540331
ncderek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ncderek
didnt say how much ram,
 and sorry i clicked on new thread before looking if there was a stalker sticky
[QUOTE="kpsting"][QUOTE="ncderek"]this is just funny. the game doesnt look anywhere near good enough for what the makers said:

how much RAM did they have?

AlbertE-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AlbertE-
Member since 2007 • 300 Posts
Link?  I highly, highly doubt the developers would talk about how often their game crashes when the title is so close to release.

False unless link given.
Avatar image for Einhanderkiller
Einhanderkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Einhanderkiller
Member since 2003 • 13259 Posts
[QUOTE="frost_mourne13"]forgive me if im wrong but i think this has been discussed in the stalker game forums, and the game hasnt gone gold yet. Optimization is the last step of making a gamezero9167
exactly.

But it should be done throughout the development cycle. A lot of junior programmers, from what I've read, misunderstand a quote that a legendary game programmer said: "Premature optimization is the root of all evil." That quote was taken out of context and sounds as if optimization at the end of the game development process is the smart thing to do, but it isn't.
frost_mourne13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 frost_mourne13
well, of course, thats common sense, you dont type a essay, then save it when you start.....you periodically save it. i dont think that the stalker devs have forsaken the optimization, and besides, theres always a patch =D...lol jk
ncderek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ncderek
this was a gamespy preview, i guess people from gamespy played it. find the link there
Link? I highly, highly doubt the developers would talk about how often their game crashes when the title is so close to release.

False unless link given.
AlbertE-
BubbaCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BubbaCheese
Member since 2004 • 30 Posts

First off, whoever thinks STALKER is not going to be bad and anyone who thinks so should go jump off the nearest bridge, second they were talking about a beta. I've played the Multiplayer Beta (biuld 2215) and it never crashed once! And it looked great even in DX8! Game websites are getting bored because they can't whine about it being delayed anymore... but Gamespot ain't whinin'!

BubbaCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BubbaCheese

First off, whoever thinks STALKER is going to be bad and anyone who thinks so should go jump off the nearest bridge, second they were talking about a beta. I've played the Multiplayer Beta (biuld 2215) and it never crashed once! And it looked great even in DX8! Game websites are getting bored because they can't whine about it being delayed anymore... but Gamespot ain't whinin'!

this is the corrected version of what i said, sorry it 3 am mates...8)

frost_mourne13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 frost_mourne13
nice, i didnt even catch it until you corrected it
BubbaCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BubbaCheese
yeeeah....
skyyfox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#17 skyyfox1
Member since 2003 • 13015 Posts
i have also tried the early version and let me tell you, you will get high framerates, all the great effects, plus zombies and mutants!  and did i mention the anomalie?  this is an intersting part of the game where strange things are happening around the zone.  if you walk into one, you will get swept up into the air and obliterated!  the game runs very well on a old hardware.. 130-150 fps with a geforce 7800.  so expect an awesome game from GSC Gaming World!  they put alot of hard work into this game and deserve credit for a very well made game.
armenti8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 armenti8
Member since 2003 • 306 Posts

i'm just happy we're getting another FPS.

i'm getting sick of all these damn RTS games.

BubbaCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BubbaCheese
Amen to Skyfoxx and amenti! these guys know whats up... it's all about STALKER! no more friggin RTS's!!!!
Myeyesquinty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Myeyesquinty
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I highly doubt STALKER will end up being that bad. It's like a mix of FEAR and GOW, so they programmers will want to make it good because my friends have high hopes for the game. Now if only Spore would come out -.-
Jack_Summersby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jack_Summersby
Member since 2005 • 1444 Posts

armenti8

Amen, brother.

MORE FPS!
gam3r3OOO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 gam3r3OOO
Member since 2003 • 1442 Posts
[QUOTE="ncderek"]this is just funny. the game doesnt look anywhere near good enough for what the makers said:

Either the game isn't finished yet, its poorly made or your just trying to incite a riot.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58271 Posts

Shouldnt be any worse than Gothic 3, and that game is acceptable depending on how much enjoyment you get out of the gameplay.

But who knows, the game isnt even out yet!

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf8c1fbe8a0f
deactivated-5bf8c1fbe8a0f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 deactivated-5bf8c1fbe8a0f
Member since 2004 • 1036 Posts
I'm not saying the game is going to be great or even revolutionary, but I'm sure it's going to be fun as hell to play. There's no telling how many videos I've watched of in game footage (seemed to be running well in all of it). I'm just glad it's finally coming out, only $40 too!
SuperBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SuperBeast
Member since 2002 • 13229 Posts
Extremely unprofessional on GameSpys part. Even though they clarify that it's not a final build, comments like that do hurt sales at launch...
speed1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 speed1
Member since 2005 • 655 Posts
Hence them being referred to as gayspy..
DrDoomed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DrDoomed
Member since 2003 • 11386 Posts
If the apparant A.i programming skils are there like other previews have claimed the proggers should have enough skill to accomplish the game actually "working"
indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

STALKER is not going to be horrible ... IMO.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts
[QUOTE="armenti8"]

Jack_Summersby

Amen, brother.

MORE FPS!

YAY.:D

ncderek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ncderek
true

[QUOTE="armenti8"]

Jack_Summersby

Amen, brother.

MORE FPS!

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf8c1fbe8a0f
deactivated-5bf8c1fbe8a0f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31 deactivated-5bf8c1fbe8a0f
Member since 2004 • 1036 Posts
It sucks to say but there haven't been any really good FPS's in a few years. FEAR and BF2142 were decent, but still just nothing special (with acception to the AI in Fear, which was badass). Quake 4 and Prey were crap. HL episode 2 will be pretty good, but mainly due to the portals side game. So I think everyone is ready for a fresh FPS to bring everyone out of this funk they are apparently in. Until then I'm stuck playing all of the Battlefields to tie me over.
Jagg3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 Jagg3d
Member since 2007 • 773 Posts
wow, that is terrible afte that long of dev
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts
I am really getting tired of PC games being released with major bugs and craptastic performance. We have seen a HUGE influx of games being released in piss poor condition lately. The last 3 games I have purchased ALL were released in abysmall state, with huge bugs and terrible performance. Neverwinter Nights 2 Titan Quest (or lovingly know as 'Titan Crash') Dark Messiah This is a very sad trend we are seeing. I don't know who is responsible (Developers? Publishers? Hardware?), all I know is that I really believe this trend is hurting the industry terribly. When the consumer starts loosing confidence in the products they buy, the result is surely reduced sales. I hope they polish this game before release, they certainly have had enough time to do so...
_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts
[QUOTE="dnuggs40"]I am really getting tired of PC games being released with major bugs and craptastic performance. We have seen a HUGE influx of games being released in piss poor condition lately. The last 3 games I have purchased ALL were released in abysmall state, with huge bugs and terrible performance. Neverwinter Nights 2 Titan Quest (or lovingly know as 'Titan Crash') Dark Messiah This is a very sad trend we are seeing. I don't know who is responsible (Developers? Publishers? Hardware?), all I know is that I really believe this trend is hurting the industry terribly. When the consumer starts loosing confidence in the products they buy, the result is surely reduced sales. I hope they polish this game before release, they certainly have had enough time to do so...

This game was designed for Dx8. I have no doubt the Dx8 version is going to run smoothly, but they haven't had a lot of time to work with Dx9.

I do agree with you that games need to stop being so buggy and badly optimized. The thing is people are still buying those games. Betafield2142, NWN2 etc etc are still being bought. If more people stop acting like sheep and buy a title cause of it's name. This would stop.
zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#35 zeus_gb
Member since 2004 • 7793 Posts
I think i'll wait for my review of the game before I decide how good it really is and how it good or bad it performs on my hardware.
acsguitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#36 acsguitar
Member since 2005 • 1840 Posts
Good thing its not released yet. This is like complaining that your 5 year old child doesn't read at a college students level
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts
Good thing its not released yet. This is like complaining that your 5 year old child doesn't read at a college students levelacsguitar
lol it is set for a march release...thats not alot of time. It's more like complaining your High School Senior is having trouble with the SAT's.
acsguitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 acsguitar
[QUOTE="acsguitar"]Good thing its not released yet. This is like complaining that your 5 year old child doesn't read at a college students leveldnuggs40
lol it is set for a march release...thats not alot of time. It's more like complaining your High School Senior is having trouble with the SAT's.

Ahh thats a better one. It can't run as poorly as say R6: Vegas :)
BubbaCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BubbaCheese
College level babies? SAT's WTF is this about?? STALKER right?
DarKre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DarKre
Member since 2003 • 9529 Posts
So you pull a paragraph out of nowhere with no link or anything credible? Do you honestly believe a game thats been in development that long will stil lbe unoptimized?
NearTheEnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 NearTheEnd
Member since 2002 • 12184 Posts
I have a bad feeling about this game. I REALLY hope it's good, because we need some good, original FPS, but I can't see it being anywhere near the quality we hope for.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#42 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58271 Posts

College level babies? SAT's WTF is this about?? STALKER right?BubbaCheese

lol SATs

Its, ummm....a sexually transmited disease.  Something American high school students get during their junior and senior year.

Jack_Summersby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Jack_Summersby
It sucks to say but there haven't been any really good FPS's in a few years. FEAR and BF2142 were decent, but still just nothing special (with acception to the AI in Fear, which was badass). Quake 4 and Prey were crap. HL episode 2 will be pretty good, but mainly due to the portals side game. So I think everyone is ready for a fresh FPS to bring everyone out of this funk they are apparently in. Until then I'm stuck playing all of the Battlefields to tie me over.sixty7velle

I would suggest trying Chronicles of Riddick.  It's a great FPS game with five-star presentation.  It can be slow at times during the beginning, but it picks up. 

You're spot on about Prey - what a waste of money.

I still play Far Cry and Max Payne 2 (I know, it's not FPS, but TPS can be pretty sweet too).

I hope STALKER and Crysis meet expectations.
Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts
forgive me if im wrong but i think this has been discussed in the stalker game forums, and the game hasnt gone gold yet. Optimization is the last step of making a gamefrost_mourne13
But the game is now scheduled to be released next month. If it's not optimized yet, it will never be. Especially after being in development for 6 years.

Crucifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Crucifier
Member since 2002 • 7195 Posts
this is just funny. the game doesnt look anywhere near good enough for what the makers said:

There's also the question of how the game will perform on a technical level. We tried running our preview build on high-end machine with a dual-core CPU and GeForce 8800, and would routinely take 5 minutes to load a level before unceremoniously crashing. We eventually ended up running the game at a low-res 800x600 setting on a older XPS Dell 500, getting maybe 20 frames a second and crashing every 15 minutes or so (which kept us from progressing too far into the game). ncderek
there is going to be a fileplanet beta later this month you know.  regardless, i will get the game.  it will patch over time if it still has bugs at release
1bladerunner1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 1bladerunner1
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I think Stalker is an amazing game, but it will be soooooooooo laggy because the world is too big and the system to replace enemies (if you kill too much in one area the game will send others from another area to make the game more difficult for the player) is just too complicated  for normal pc`s (it needs a lot of performance) and thats the reason why you`ll need a very very good pc with a lot of performance to play Stalker without any laggs (but I think its incredible to play Stalker without any laggs).

Avatar image for NegativeBalance
NegativeBalance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 NegativeBalance
Member since 2004 • 622 Posts
"(if you kill too much in one area the game will send others from another area to make the game more difficult for the player) is just too complicated for normal pc`s" Wow thanks for that random bit of made up information. The game seemlessly loads in the same way that oblivion does. You are not actually putting all the actors in the whole world into ram at any one time. There are a finite number of actors loaded at any one time. Stalker could run great on almost any system greater than a geforce 4 in dx 8 mode. Its really a question of the developers know how rather then the actual rendering mechanism of the game.
Jack_Summersby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Jack_Summersby

Was ncderek right?
acsguitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 acsguitar
Riddick is 100 times better in everyway then this sorry piece of poo
Jack_Summersby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Jack_Summersby

Riddick is 100 times better in everyway then this sorry piece of pooacsguitar

I believed you until I read your review .  You rated STALKER a 7.0 / 10.0, which is defined as (get ready for it)...

Good.

Yet you've been posting all over the boards saying the game is terrible.  Which is it?Â