SSD, Windows and Games Installation

This topic is locked from further discussion.

robertoenrique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 robertoenrique
Member since 2004 • 1191 Posts

Hello dudes,

I ordered from Newegg todaya Corsair Performance 3 Series internal SSD. I currently have my OS installed on my 500Gb Sata Drive,obviously I plan on installing it on the SSD once it arrives.Thing isthat my OSisOEM and I am alsoplan changing my mobo to an ASUS SABERTOOTH P67. My question is,will I be able to install my OS on the SSD without a problem? Anyone here done this before?Also, will I have to install allmy gamesagain, I currently have them installed on my 1TB Sata Drive. Thanks in advance for the input.

FreakyDeacky2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 FreakyDeacky2
Member since 2006 • 1177 Posts

no OEM copies of windows are tied to a motherboard ull need a new copy

robertoenrique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 robertoenrique

Wow this absolutely sucks balls. Are you 100% sure?

aesir05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 aesir05
Member since 2003 • 94 Posts

I';m wondering that myself, would SSDs need to be setup before installation of Windows or do BIOS and Windows setup pick them up automatically?

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

I';m wondering that myself, would SSDs need to be setup before installation of Windows or do BIOS and Windows setup pick them up automatically?

aesir05

You just install windows like you always do.

FreakyDeacky2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FreakyDeacky2

yes im 100% sure i can find a link if youd like. An SSD installs like a regular HHD unless its one of the types that plugs directly into the PCI port in that case you jsut plug it into the port and attach the sata cable and start up the pc put in the windows disk and install it, you could configure the bios first if you want, its all personal preferences.
use AHCI for SSDs(exceppt with OCZ but OCZ sucks so meh)

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

robertoenrique

Call Microsoft if it fails activation/validation and just say your mobo was defective and now you have a new one, or do the automatic phone activation thing.

jpm27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jpm27
Member since 2003 • 363 Posts

FreakyDeacky2

This is mostly true, the copy is tied to your hardware. However if you change out parts and reinstall windows, the install may prompt you to contact MS. Once you explain what you are during (reinstalling windows on the same PC after an upgrade), they'll gave you a new windows key to use to complete the install.

edit for typo

FreakyDeacky2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FreakyDeacky2

[QUOTE="FreakyDeacky2"]

jpm27

This is mostly true, the copy is tied to your hardware. However if you change out parts and reinstall windows, the install may prompt you to contact MS. Once you explain what you are during (reinstalling windows on the same PC after an upgrade), they'll gave you a new windows key to use to complete the install.

edit for typo

yeah give it a try and report back im rooting for you, its a sutpid policy by them to counter piracy, when in reality it only hurts the loyal user

CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CellAnimation
Member since 2007 • 6116 Posts

FreakyDeacky2
Um what? I've swapped motherboards and kept my OEM copy of Windows without issue. Sure I had to ring Microsoft, "Hi... my motherboard died"... "No problem, here's the new code". I've done this on Windows XP, Vista, and 7.
jpm27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jpm27
Member since 2003 • 363 Posts

[QUOTE="jpm27"]

[QUOTE="FreakyDeacky2"]

FreakyDeacky2

edit for typo

yeah give it a try and report back im rooting for you, its a sutpid policy by them to counter piracy, when in reality it only hurts the loyal user

I forgot to mention that over the years, while working on various PCs I've done this probably at least 10 different times. On multiple OS's from Xp to 7. MS has never given me a hassle after explaining it was due to an upgrade.

opamando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 opamando
Member since 2007 • 1268 Posts

[QUOTE="FreakyDeacky2"]

[QUOTE="jpm27"] This is mostly true, the copy is tied to your hardware. However if you change out parts and reinstall windows, the install may prompt you to contact MS. Once you explain what you are during (reinstalling windows on the same PC after an upgrade), they'll gave you a new windows key to use to complete the install.

edit for typo

jpm27

I forgot to mention that over the years, while working on various PCs I've done this probably at least 10 different times. On multiple OS's from Xp to 7. MS has never given me a hassle after explaining it was due to an upgrade.

Yup. Retail purchased OEM Windows can be installed on as many machines as you want, as long as it is only installed on a single machine at a time. Done it many times, and each time I told MS what I had done, IE: new motherboard.

FreakyDeacky2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FreakyDeacky2

[QUOTE="FreakyDeacky2"]

[QUOTE="jpm27"] This is mostly true, the copy is tied to your hardware. However if you change out parts and reinstall windows, the install may prompt you to contact MS. Once you explain what you are during (reinstalling windows on the same PC after an upgrade), they'll gave you a new windows key to use to complete the install.

edit for typo

jpm27

the polciy i speak of is making u have to get another validation code for the OEM copy when u change mobos, its an annoyance

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

If you have a Dell, HP, Compaq, Acer, etc. The you contractually agree along with the purchase of the system that the copy of Windows is tied to the motherboard. If you throw out the computer, the OS must go along with it. These companies do this in order to keep you into their walled garden.

If you purchased the Windows OEM disc, then the rules are different. Microsoft intends for you tohave the installation on one and only one machine. You can transfer the license to as many machines as you want as long as its only installed on one machine at a time.

Microsfot uses a point system in order to attempt to identify if its installed on multiple machines. Each time Windows updates it checks the system creates a score, and if it matches the previous score it assumes its the same system. If it doesn't then it gets flagged. If the change is drastic (i.e. a whole new system), then thats ok. You'll usually have no problems.

If multiple changes are detected frequently, then you can have problems activating as it appears as if your copy is on multiple machines as each time it updates it detects a new system.

In most cases you cna usually call Microsoft and they'll reset the score system so that you can activate.

This mechanism is intened to stop mass piracy and people installing it on many machines. Itsnot intended to tie you down to a single motherboard.

How this relates to OEM copies from Dell, HP, etc? They actually work very similar. You *CAN* transfer them. Dell, HP, etc don't want you to, and you technically agreed not to with the purchase of the system, but it works the same as the Windows OEM cd purchase.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GTR12

the polciy i speak of is making u have to get another validation code for the OEM copy when u change mobos, its an annoyance

FreakyDeacky2

Pickup phone, dial number, press buttons for automated computer, enter number, computer reads a number back and you type it in...

6 steps is annoying huh?

robertoenrique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 robertoenrique

Oh yea now that I remember I did this like 2 years ago but with Windows Vista and it wasnt OEM just regular $199.99 retail copy. How about the games guys? I know that specific files are created on the windows folder when installing a game so I guess that I'm screwed. This only bothers me because I have to borrow an IDE dvd in order to install The Witcher 2, for some reason my HP DvD drive wont install it. Oh well.... Btw this is what I ordered today, finally going back to intel after 8 years.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131702&Tpk=asus%20sabertooth%20p67

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233153

and last but not least

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GTR12

You gotta reinstall games.

FreakyDeacky2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FreakyDeacky2

[QUOTE="FreakyDeacky2"]

GTR12

Pickup phone, dial number, press buttons for automated computer, enter number, computer reads a number back and you type it in...

6 steps is annoying huh?

yes cause they treat you like a pirate they should do it 2 installs if at least the motherboard or the cpu is the same np third install you call but thats the price of OEM

Former_Slacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Former_Slacker
Member since 2009 • 2618 Posts

[QUOTE="robertoenrique"]

GTR12

Call Microsoft if it fails activation/validation and just say your mobo was defective and now you have a new one, or do the automatic phone activation thing.

I was actually looking into reinstalling my OS, which is also oem, and I found something interesting out. MS actually doesn't want consumers using oem at all. It's only meant for resale and it actually needs to be installed with some kind of kit and then resold to be a "genuine" copy of windows; although buying an oem copy and installing it works just as well of course.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GTR12

yes cause they treat you like a pirate they should do it 2 installs if at least the motherboard or the cpu is the same np third install you call but thats the price of OEM

FreakyDeacky2

You seem to be the only 1 complaining out of every user here. And exactly how does a automated computer treat you like a pirate?

FreakyDeacky2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FreakyDeacky2

[QUOTE="FreakyDeacky2"]

GTR12

You seem to be the only 1 complaining out of every user here. And exactly how does a automated computer treat you like a pirate?

completely missed my point MICROSOFT treats you like a pirate ties the OEM copy to the board forcing you to ask there permission to reinstall it

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GTR12

completely missed my point MICROSOFT treats you like a pirate ties the OEM copy to the board forcing you to ask there permission to reinstall it

FreakyDeacky2

Definition of any OEM software is the same, its not just M$, and the issue of OEM OS was already resolved.

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts

[QUOTE="GTR12"]

[QUOTE="FreakyDeacky2"]

FreakyDeacky2

Microsoft treats you like an OEM if you buy an OEM copy, i.e. someone that installs a copy of Windows on a single PC that's then being sold to someone else to use. I suspect the real answer if you call and say 'my motherboard died' is supposed to be 'talk to the person who sold you the PC, they will providea replacement motherboard of the same model.' There's no such restrictions on a *retail* copy of the OS. :D And honestly, they let people re-register OEM copies as much as they feel like it, despite the on-paper prohibitions.

Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

[QUOTE="GTR12"]

[QUOTE="FreakyDeacky2"]

FreakyDeacky2

That's what an OEM license is. It's nothing to do with big bad evil Microsoft trying to screw people over.

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

I've never had any problems re-installing my OEM across several hardware changes with phone activation.