Spider Platform seems very appealing

This topic is locked from further discussion.

karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 karasill
Member since 2007 • 3155 Posts

Apparently a Phenom 9500 (stock speed is 2.2 GHZ) can overclock to 3.0 GHZ fairly easily. Not too shabby, aye? Makes me wonder how far you can take the Phenom 9700 and 9900 processors, heck even the Phenom 9600's.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=i_q_9a4zDps

The Spider platform as of right now can achieve almost 20,000 in 3D Mark 06when overclocked. The platform in the video consisted of a Phenom 9500, 2 GB's of ram (It's the Reaper HPC Edition made by OCZ, and they only come in 1 GB modules as far as I know),a 790FX chipset, and 2 Radeon 3870's in Crossfire.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=1p-Viq7Q-6c&feature=related

The only thing that raises an eyebrow is that at stock speeds it only got a score a little over 13,000 in 3D Mark 06. From benchmarks I've seen at other websites, 2 Radeon 3870's in Crossfirecan achieve 16,000 - 17,000 at stock speeds. I think AMD underclocked the processor to make the gap seem really huge. Nevertheless, this shows that the Spider platform has a lot of potential and can only get better from here on out. I mean how can anyone not like the AMD's OverDrive feature? You can overclock anything that /can/ be overclocked with that utility (CPU, Graphics, Memory, etc), in real time no less.

NOTE:I'm not saying or implying that the Spider Platform is better then Intel and Nividia based machines, only that the Spider Platform has a lot of potential and is more powerful then a lot of you guys give it credit for.

evilklownx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 evilklownx2
Member since 2006 • 105 Posts
I love the 790fx mobo and the radeon 3800 series video cards, but those phenom x4's suck, i kinda pissed that i waited so long when i could have been rockig a q6600, but now i dont have the dollars to get it because of xmas.
karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 karasill
I love the 790fx mobo and the radeon 3800 series video cards, but those phenom x4's suck, i kinda pissed that i waited so long when i could have been rockig a q6600, but now i dont have the dollars to get it because of xmas.evilklownx2
Yeah they kind of suck, but at least you can overclock them :D They're not slow processors, they're actually pretty darn fast they're just slower then the Intel quad cores. But meh, at least the Spider Platform has a lot of potential.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
If AMD doesn't price the Phenoms significantly cheaper there is no point in considering them.
karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 karasill
If AMD doesn't price the Phenoms significantly cheaper there is no point in considering them. X360PS3AMD05
I've read rumors that they're supposed to do a price cut in January when the Phenom 9700 comes out. Also, CPU's aren't as important as GPU's when it comes to games. So a Phenom will provide you with more then enough horsepower to run today's games just so long as you have a good GPU to back it up. I'm really attracted to the unity of the hardware and how everything works together so nicely, not to mention that AMD OverDrive program is awesome.
navigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 navigas
Member since 2003 • 306 Posts
So that setup is supposed to crank out PS3 by 80 times? bah!
Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Colonel_Cool
Member since 2006 • 1335 Posts
[QUOTE="X360PS3AMD05"]If AMD doesn't price the Phenoms significantly cheaper there is no point in considering them. karasill
I've read rumors that they're supposed to do a price cut in January when the Phenom 9700 comes out. Also, CPU's aren't as important as GPU's when it comes to games. So a Phenom will provide you with more then enough horsepower to run today's games just so long as you have a good GPU to back it up. I'm really attracted to the unity of the hardware and how everything works together so nicely, not to mention that AMD OverDrive program is awesome.

He does have a ponit though. Why buy a phenom when you can buy a faster Intel cpu for the same price?
evilklownx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 evilklownx2
Member since 2006 • 105 Posts
[QUOTE="karasill"][QUOTE="X360PS3AMD05"]If AMD doesn't price the Phenoms significantly cheaper there is no point in considering them. Colonel_Cool

He does have a ponit though. Why buy a phenom when you can buy a faster Intel cpu for the same price?

Word!
brayant321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 brayant321
Member since 2003 • 984 Posts
Cause some people would have to drop another 150 on motherboard for an Intel. Phenom is areally good alternativeoption if you have an am2 motherboard and don't feel like changing it.