This topic is locked from further discussion.

joshuahaveron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 joshuahaveron
Member since 2004 • 2165 Posts

Ok, I just built my new PC that is in my sig and I need some speakers. I am not really sure what I need when it comes to speakers, should I get 5.1 or 7.1? What specs do I need, any reputable brands and how much should I spend? I have 5 audio jacks for my integrated soundcard, but I will be upgrading to a dedicated soundcard when I have more money. Also do I just need a PCI slot for a soundcard? Any help? Thanks

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
The connection interface requqired depends on the hardware. Some use PCI, some use PCI-E 1x others are external and use optical or spdif. Personally i'ld get a good 2.0 soundcard with dolby headphone then just connect them to a good pair of cans. If you're just using this PC at a desk i'ld recommend headphones, if you're using it in a more public environment like a HTPC then get a home theatre receiver and go from there. If you're using it as a music transport which i doubt then use an external DAC then link to a standard hifi amp and speakers.
joshuahaveron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 joshuahaveron
Member since 2004 • 2165 Posts

I just want it for games, music and films really. I don't really like the idea of headphones, I'd rather have speakers :P

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts

I just want it for games, music and films really.

joshuahaveron
That's just about every medium with audio in it there =/ Which is it that you really require good audio for? Each one has different requirements. You only need a 7.1 card if you've got 7.1 speakers to make use of them and personally i'ld say if you've got enough to afford that or use your PC in a way that means you require it then you should get a proper receiver and HT setup. For starters, what is your budget? What is your current audio setup?
dbd333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 dbd333
Member since 2004 • 508 Posts

Audioengine A2's

Probably the best 2 speaker system for the PC for it's price.

topher8668

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 topher8668
Member since 2009 • 44 Posts
statistically there is only about a 15%-20% increase from a 5.1to a 7.1 and its only the rear speakers. so do what you will but its not always worth the money. a good 2.1 is the way to go