This topic is locked from further discussion.

walrus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 walrus1
Member since 2005 • 419 Posts

Hi Everyone, I was thinking Ive got a sweet rig.

Windows Vista Home Premium, Nvidia 8800GTS, AMD 64 X2 2.8 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 22" widescreen monitor.

But my weak spot is my sound. I am using onboard 5.1 soundcard. Logitech Z-460 speakers. Total output power: 71.2 Watts RMS Subwoofer power output: 25.7 Watts RMS Satellite speaker power output: 45.5 Watts RMS (2 x 7.3w Front; 2 x 7.3w Rear; 16.3w Center) Total peak power: 140 Watts

So my question is this I am fairly certain its worth buying a dedicated sound card. For the new sound card I am thinking of getting a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro Series Sound Card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829102005 For speakers

I am thinking either Creative Inspire P7800 These are the only 7.1 speakers with in my price range. But I have in the past heard badthings about Creative speakers http://us.creative.com/products/prod...=105 94&nav=1

Or Logitech G51 I have heard amazing things bout these babies. but their expensive at $130 street. http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/sp.../3549&cl=us,en What do you guys think?

walrus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 walrus1
sorry to do this but i really need advice *bump*
RayvinAzn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 RayvinAzn
Member since 2004 • 12552 Posts

If you're using Vista, I'd avoid Creative. If you've got the money, get the Auzentech X-Fi Prelude, or if you want to save a bit of cash, check out the ASUS Xonar DX (not D2 or D2X, unless you don't care about EAX effects).

For speakers, I don't see the point in a huge number of channels on a PC unless you actually have them set up properly. You're better served picking up a high-quality Klipsch 2.1 setup than a middle-of-the-road 7.1/5.1 setup. Three excellent channels are better than 6 or 8 poorly-placed and middling quality channels.

Avatar image for blackleather223
blackleather223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 blackleather223
Member since 2004 • 1569 Posts

Hey a 5.1 surround sound isn't bad even if they aren't setup exactly like there suppose to like the rear in the back and the front in the front.

Shoot I had my 5.1 surround sound speakers that I have now I had the 3 in the front as rear speakers and the the rear speakers up front and didn't change the wireing at all and so that way the voices would be in the back of me and the surround sound was in front. Yea it was a bit odd but it work for me for a while.

Once we moved I put the rear in the rear and the front up front and the sub off to the side up on top of a night stand cause the room is so small. anyways my Mom she has some speakers as 5.1 and she has them all up front and she doesn't mind just as long as there is sound and considering that the speakers that she has is logitech and I gave them to her.

Also I game some 5.1 logitech speakers to my step mom and Dad and they don't have theres set up just so and they love them. Also the speakers that I have are logitech. So to me at least I like logitech.

Spybot_9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Spybot_9
Member since 2008 • 2592 Posts

Three excellent channels are better than 6 or 8 poorly-placed and middling quality channels. RayvinAzn

I disagree.As far as games are concered having a center channel REALLY makes a difference and in a few games having rear speakers also does like fear and crysis in which you hear the grass in the rear speakers while moving.

What you are saying holds true for music.

RayvinAzn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RayvinAzn
Member since 2004 • 12552 Posts

I disagree.As far as games are concered having a center channel REALLY makes a difference and in a few games having rear speakers also does like fear and crysis in which you hear the grass in the rear speakers while moving.

What you are saying holds true for music.

Spybot_9

I did say poorly placed. If you can get a proper 5.1/7.1 setup going, then it's more a matter of personal preference than anything else.

walrus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 walrus1

I am curently using a 5.1 system surround sound system. So i wont be going down to 2.1.

Whats wrong with Creative? I heard they got their vista bugs sorted out. Err scratch that after diggin around thier officval site its still a mess.