Sound Quality in Portable Music Players [iPod etc] (What's Best?)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MorbidToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#1 MorbidToaster
Member since 2008 • 1434 Posts

So from what I've heard, the 5.5G iPods are superior to the 6G as far as audio quality goes.

How does the quality of the 2 compare, and how does the ZUNE (and the like) match up sound wise? I haven't really payed much attention to things outside iPods.

I'm doing somewhat of an audio rehas for myself, and I figured a new player was in order (considering I don't have one right now).

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Take a look at the Creative X-Fi ZENs, the X-fi chip does wonders for any sound. Also, I read somewhere on engadget about a Sony Ericsson phone that was expensive, but they said it had the best audio quality of any portable music player. Too bad it costs more than a PS3 :P (Around $500-600 if I remember right)

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts

Take a look at the Creative X-Fi ZENs, the X-fi chip does wonders for any sound. Also, I read somewhere on engadget about a Sony Ericsson phone that was expensive, but they said it had the best audio quality of any portable music player. Too bad it costs more than a PS3 :P (Around $500-600 if I remember right)

ChubbyGuy40
So you're saying the Zens have some kind of sound chip that makes it better than the ipod?
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

hydralisk86

So you're saying the Zens have some kind of sound chip that makes it better than the ipod?

The X-Fi chip. It just makes everything sound so much better! Google it for more info, but yes the X-Fi Zens should sound better than the ipods with any good set of headphones

XRED_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 XRED_0
Member since 2008 • 775 Posts
Also keep in mind that they only will sound better if you have the proper equipment to play them. In other words, don't expect an amazing difference in sound quality if you're just using a 2.1 PC speaker system or the awesome cheapo Apple headphones.
MorbidToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MorbidToaster
Also keep in mind that they only will sound better if you have the proper equipment to play them. In other words, don't expect an amazing difference in sound quality if you're just using a 2.1 PC speaker system or the awesome cheapo Apple headphones.XRED_0
Ahaha. No. I'm a Headphoneaudiophile. I've got that part covered.
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts

If you want just an MP3 get a creative player. Works with all sync programs and you can simply connect to any pc and copy music to it. Creative players also come with an equalizer and it works with playforsure music. Napster being the best if you are interested in playforsure.

MorbidToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MorbidToaster

If you want just an MP3 get a creative player. Works with all sync programs and you can simply connect to any pc and copy music to it. Creative players also come with an equalizer and it works with playforsure music. Napster being the best if you are interested in playforsure.

Deihmos
What's the highest size of Creative player? I need 120gb minimum. lol
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts

[QUOTE="Deihmos"]

MorbidToaster

You can try www.creative.com. Why would anyone need 120GB in a portable player is beyond me.

MorbidToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MorbidToaster

[QUOTE="MorbidToaster"][QUOTE="Deihmos"]

Deihmos

You can try www.creative.com. Why would anyone need 120GB in a portable player is beyond me. You might as well work around with a laptop ormaybe you can listen to 30,000 tracks in a day.

I've tried smaller, and I just can't do it. I always seem to want to listen to SOMETHING SOMETIME in the day that's not on there. I also really ahte the job of going through and picking things that should be on it, and things that shouldn't. I have a bit over 120gb of music with lossless copies of alot of my files, I can pull some regular files without losing the actual songs, but 120gb will also give me space to get more music, and just knock off a bit of lossless when I need the space.
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
I'd actually recommend against a Creative Player. They may have done some OS changes and gotten better, but I went from a Zune to a Zen and I hate it. There's a lot of little stuff that I assumed was standard for all MP3 players that the Zen lacks. I also hate the navigation button, but that might have been redesigned by now. The only think about it that I like is that you can make playlists and delete files without having to connect it to a PC, but even that's kinda clunky.
DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DivergeUnify
Member since 2007 • 15150 Posts
Zune is the best high capacity player. It doesn't have an equalizer, but it's natural sound is better than an iPod
Avatar image for kryptonianpride
kryptonianpride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kryptonianpride
Member since 2004 • 424 Posts

The samsung p2 is the real winner. It lets you totally customize it to your liking and actually hear a massive difference with each movement of the toggles. The presets were extremely well designed. The Rock EQ is simply amazing. I've tested the Ipods and the P2 with the same headphones. The different is insane and you'd never believe it. The IPODs literally decrease sound quality and prevent you from hearing and experiencing things the p2 seems to allow without any EQ changes, just using the presets.

I've used the zune, itouch and pods ( all of them ) the p2, some sonys and other brands, so far, the samsung p2 has the best EQ and overall sound quality IMO

dsgsdfgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dsgsdfgf
Member since 2005 • 1004 Posts

If you want good sound you should try iaudio/cowon.

WushuFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 WushuFighter
Member since 2007 • 1837 Posts

Most people in this thread are pretty much wrong. 3 of the best sounding players on the market are:

1. Sansa Clip

2. Cowon D2 and S9

3. Samsung P3

dbd333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dbd333
Member since 2004 • 508 Posts

Connecting audio with an Ipod LOD (google it up) isntead of using the ipod headphone out port, makes the sound SO SO much better.

MorbidToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MorbidToaster

I ended up with a Zune 120. I am SO GLAD I decided on a Zune over the iPod. I would have liked to go with one fo the suggestions made here, but most of them were fairly low capacity players.

So far I am loving the Zune, both software and hardware, the only thing I see it lacking is an Equalizer...but couldn't that easily be added through the firmware updates?

Zoso-8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Zoso-8
Member since 2008 • 2047 Posts
Wait for the Zune HD launching this fall, imo.
MorbidToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MorbidToaster
Wait for the Zune HD launching this fall, imo.Zoso-8
Zune HD isn't a high capacity player.
willx10121013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 willx10121013
Member since 2004 • 300 Posts

I ended up with a Zune 120. I am SO GLAD I decided on a Zune over the iPod. I would have liked to go with one fo the suggestions made here, but most of them were fairly low capacity players.

So far I am loving the Zune, both software and hardware, the only thing I see it lacking is an Equalizer...but couldn't that easily be added through the firmware updates?

MorbidToaster

I've been waiting for a fireware update that adds an equalizer to my zune (80gb) for a long time now...and as far as i can tell it isn't going to happen, I read that the zune's hardware is lacking somewhere making it incabable of an eq (although it still sounds great to me)...a software mod is about the best we could hope for but that seems unlikely too considering its been out for this long w/o one sadly...

MorbidToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MorbidToaster

[QUOTE="MorbidToaster"]

willx10121013

I've been waiting for a fireware update that adds an equalizer to my zune (80gb) for a long time now...and as far as i can tell it isn't going to happen, I read that the zune's hardware is lacking somewhere making it incabable of an eq (although it still sounds great to me)...a software mod is about the best we could hope for but that seems unlikely too considering its been out for this long w/o one sadly...

It's not a huge issue for me, I just feel that I'd use it if it was available to me.