This topic is locked from further discussion.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

Sony has unloaded SOE to a investment management company.

I have no love for SOE but selling to a company that has zero interest in gaming, and a whole lot of interest in maximizing profits can't be good for the future of their online games.

Source

Mozuckint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2  Edited By Mozuckint
Member since 2012 • 831 Posts

Certainly didn't see this coming.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

So much for H1Z1, PS2 on PS4, and EQ:N.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

I was looking forward to ever quest next, welp.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

They say it's still coming out.

Who knows it might not be that bad a thing....have to wait and see.

EDIT:Says " Daybreak, as the studio is now called, will also become a multi-platform gaming company, with plans to build games for PlayStation, Xbox and mobile according to the team."

No mention of new pc games in the future....that's just bad. Bum deal...

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#8 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

Why would you think that's not happening? This might mean they now make appearance on XBox, but I don't think this has any bearing on them releasing on PS4 (especially since they're already in development for that platform)

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@BSC14 said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

They say it's still coming out.

Who knows it might not be that bad a thing....have to wait and see.

EDIT:Says " Daybreak, as the studio is now called, will also become a multi-platform gaming company, with plans to build games for PlayStation, Xbox and mobile according to the team."

No mention of new pc games in the future....that's just bad. Bum deal...

Have to wait and see what happens. A Publisher selling off one of it's developer divisions isn't always a bad thing.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#10  Edited By BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

Meh... I don't play any of their games. I tried PS2 and it was very disappointing.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@BSC14:

Thats a bot.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

I expect Sony to sell a few more things as well over the next couple of years.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

That was surprising. I'm not really worried about EQ:N not coming out, though. They've put a lot of money into the development of it.

attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 attirex
Member since 2007 • 2451 Posts

Investment management company = kiss o' death. They just want the IP for their portfolio.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KHAndAnime

@xantufrog said:

@KHAndAnime said:

Why would you think that's not happening? This might mean they now make appearance on XBox, but I don't think this has any bearing on them releasing on PS4 (especially since they're already in development for that platform)

Never said they weren't happening. It's just clear Sony had certain consumer standards which often meant that the quality of their products exceeded the amount of profit they made from them. If SOE wanted to, they probably could've easily made a lot more money from PS2 by using EA-tactics. But they didn't want their reputation drug through the mud and they cared about making games people genuinely loved to play. Now that they're owned by a business that's likely purely about profit (unlike Sony), you can surely expect them to milk everything SoE has for its worth.

I fully expect all of SoE's games to get greedier, slimier, and worse produced now the bottom line profit is the only concern now.

Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#17 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts

@attirex said:

Investment management company = kiss o' death. They just want the IP for their portfolio.

Not necessarily true. It can be either a good or bad thing. My company has always worked with private investors, and we're growing steadily and have been for year. Our current partner also has Twitter in their portfolio. We're not worried.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#18  Edited By Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

It looks like Sony is willing to finally admit that they cannot handle all the divisions that they so ambitiously created over the years. Hopefully, this results in more focused endeavors in the forthcoming years.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

Never said they weren't happening. It's just clear Sony had certain consumer standards which often meant that the quality of their products exceeded the amount of profit they made from them. If SOE wanted to, they probably could've easily made a lot more money from PS2 by using EA-tactics. But they didn't want their reputation drug through the mud and they cared about making games people genuinely loved to play. Now that they're owned by a business that's likely purely about profit (unlike Sony), you can surely expect them to milk everything SoE has for its worth.

I fully expect all of SoE's games to get greedier, slimier, and worse produced now the bottom line profit is the only concern now.

Ah, now I understand. Yeah, who knows what will happen with the monetization schemes now

attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 attirex

Two words:

Everquest: Next: Candy Crush Mobile Edition (tm) , now for iOS (tm), Android (tm), and Windows Mobile (tm).

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

@attirex said:

Two words:

Everquest: Next: Candy Crush Mobile Edition (tm) , now for iOS (tm), Android (tm), and Windows Mobile (tm).

That's kind of what I'm thinking but who knows, maybe it will work out for the best. I'm definitely pessimistic but I'm that way about most things these days so my cynicism isn't much of a barometer.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@-wildflower- said:

@attirex said:

Two words:

That's kind of what I'm thinking but who knows, maybe it will work out for the best. I'm definitely pessimistic but I'm that way about most things these days so my cynicism isn't much of a barometer.

That's more than two words :P

Candy Crush is already out on those platforms... hopefully Soda Crush (sequel) comes out for Windows Phone soon.

attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 attirex

And so the end starts to begin....

LINK

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By KHAndAnime
@attirex said:

And so the end starts to begin....

LINK

Yup. David Georgeson was a veteran and pretty much the "visionary" behind Everquest: Next. That's one game I can cross off my the list of titles I'm looking forward to. Laying off the game's director half-way into the project means nothing but bad things for the game.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#25 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

It's really awful about the layoffs, but I kinda expected it as companies are usually restructured after a buyout like this. My interest in their games just went down though. Why get rid of the idea man? I don't see good things for Everquest Next unfortunately.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By KHAndAnime

@iambatman7986 said:

It's really awful about the layoffs, but I kinda expected it as companies are usually restructured after a buyout like this. My interest in their games just went down though. Why get rid of the idea man? I don't see good things for Everquest Next unfortunately.

I'm going to guess it's because his ideas didn't involve maximum milkage of the F2P concept. My cynicism is telling me that they're going to put someone in charge who cares about the bottom line more than anything else. Georgeson had nothing but enthusiasm for EQ:N and was great with PR. I'm extremely curious who he'll be replaced with and how the PR is going to work now.

Also: lol @ people who bought H1Z1. How excited are people for this game now?

And is Planetside 2 for PS4 officially not going to be released now?

attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 attirex

EQ Next will become nothing more than IP the mgmt company can leverage. Anyone who thinks these will be actual released titles is deluded.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#28 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

@iambatman7986 said:

I'm going to guess it's because his ideas didn't involve maximum milkage of the F2P concept. My cynicism is telling me that they're going to put someone in charge who cares about the bottom line more than anything else. Georgeson had nothing but enthusiasm for EQ:N and was great with PR. I'm extremely curious who he'll be replaced with and how the PR is going to work now.

Also: lol @ people who bought H1Z1. How excited are people for this game now?

And is Planetside 2 for PS4 officially not going to be released now?

It's in closed beta on PS4 right now.