Sonic Generations - Game files either missing or corrupt please reinstall help?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Blast_Hazzard (36 posts) -

Okay, I installed Sonic generations on Steam so my younger cousin can play it while he is staying around so he can keep occupied,
I installed it overnight and when i tried to run it this morning it came up with the error message:
Critical Error!
Game files either missing or corrupt please reinstall.

Now I haven't done anything to this game yet so there is no way the Game files can be corrupt from fault of my own, could it be something to do with the recently released DLC that I don't have? My computer should be able to run it so I don't think it is my hardware, but the thing is I don't have time to reinstall it, that would take another twelve hours on my connection and that would mean that my cousin would arrive and be unable to play. That would devastate him and cause a lot of guilt on my part, So if anyone has had this problem and knows a quick solution or has any ideas on a fix please, PLEASE, let me know, Thanks,

#2 Posted by destroyerHHH (772 posts) -
Here's a step-by-step solution: 1)Open Steam 2)Right-Click on Sonic Generations in the Steam Game List 3)Click on Properties in the Context Menu 4)Click on the Local Files Tab 5)Click on Verify Integrity of Game Cache 6)Wait for it to finish. It can take half an hour sometimes so don't cancel it even if it reaches a hundred percent and seems to not be responding 7)If all the files are validated, go ahead and play and if not, Steam will reacquire only the missing files. The game should work then. Hope this helps. Cheers.
#3 Posted by Blast_Hazzard (36 posts) -

Okay, I verified the integrity of the game's cache and clicked the icon to launch it,

it reinstalled the configuration options and then i clicked save and quit, a few seconds later the error message came up again...

Any other ideas anyone...

#4 Posted by Blast_Hazzard (36 posts) -

Don't worry about it anymore, my cousin is almost here and i'm just gonna uninstall and begin reinstalling it so he can play ASAP, thanks for trying though.

#5 Posted by mariofan50 (25 posts) -

this happened to me but it happened the first time i ran the game after installing it

#6 Posted by chrrim98 (25 posts) -
What if you have SKIDROW Sonic Generations and you get the same error?
#7 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -
What if you have SKIDROW Sonic Generations and you get the same error?chrrim98
Burn your PC and go watch TV.
#9 Posted by MonsieurX (32044 posts) -
What if you have SKIDROW Sonic Generations and you get the same error?chrrim98
Buy the game