Something like Heroes of Might and Magic?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheCygnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 TheCygnus
Member since 2005 • 317 Posts
I've played this saga since the II edition, and I have always like liked it, even HIV which was discussed, I found it to be very enjoyable, with great stories, great OST (Heroes IV soundtrack is incredible), and some twists in the gameplay that I liked. It's a shame 3DO had to quit and the V game by Ubisoft is also quite good but it loses some of its charm of the previous games. So I'm asking if there is an alternative, some turn strategy game that allows you to build a kingdom, recruit an army and make turn-based fights?
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts

I'm big fan of HOMM too. There isn't really anything exactly like it, but there's many other turn based strategy games that you should enjoy.

Civilization.

Turn based? Check.

Kingdom building? Check.

Army building? Check.

But it still isn't like HOMM. I've heard of a russian HOMM ripoff. Maybe you should check that out :D

noctilucus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 noctilucus
Member since 2006 • 191 Posts

Apart from Civilization (especially IV), Etherlords II seems to fit the description. Personally I still have to try it myself, it's been gathering dust for a while on my desk, but as far as I can tell from the reviews it's certainly worth playing.

And of course there's always still the classic Master of Magic ;)

TheCygnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TheCygnus
Member since 2005 • 317 Posts
I think I played Etherlords and it is something like Magic: The Gathering... There are combats where you summon creatures but it isn't like HoMM... I also saw a game called Age of Wonders which has some resemblance but I haven't tried it so I don't know if it is like HoMM.
PoPsuX_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 PoPsuX_
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
It might be a little late answering on this topic. But have you tried Age of Wonders 1 or (the best) 2? It is very similar to Heroes of Might And Magic series.. It's a whole different feel over it. But it does definitely have the "spirit" of the HOMM series! I would say around Heroes 3 type of game-play! Then there is another one. I'm sorry, i don't remember the title. But it is pretty much heroes of might and magic set in the future. Or rather in space!! The Heroes are "mother-ships" wich you can equip with smaller spaceships. (creatures). The castles are space-bases. Wich you can upgrade with all kinds of stuff. The Resources are... well, resources in space. It's the same turn based strategy used in Heroes. And battles in space is similar to battles in Heroes. Also turn-based. Don't know if you had magic in this game. I think it was more like a "technology" thing you can use (rather then the magic book in heroes). Hope anyone know wich game im talking about and can post the title in this topic for others looking for similar games of the beloved heroes series! =D As of June 2009. A new "online" heroes game is being developed. And is almost to it's beta stage. Its called "Heroes of might and magic kingdoms" (www.hommkingdoms.com) It looks very promising. And i think it's free!!
F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
look up King's Bounty: The Legend. It's a very recent game, and it's very similar to Heroes in both the overland map and the battles.
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts
Why did you resurrect a 2 year old thread?
F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 F1_2004
Who cares? I'm sure the influx of people coming to Gamespot looking for HOMM-like games didn't end 2 years ago.
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts
Who cares? I'm sure the influx of people coming to Gamespot looking for HOMM-like games didn't end 2 years ago.F1_2004
He addressed the TC directly...you think he still is waiting on this answer? c'mon...
PoPsuX_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PoPsuX_
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
Lol. I don't care how old this thred was in the first place. Don't even understand that you bother commenting on that kinda stuff!
HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#11 HenriH-42
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

Then there is another one. I'm sorry, i don't remember the title. But it is pretty much heroes of might and magic set in the future. Or rather in space!! The Heroes are "mother-ships" wich you can equip with smaller spaceships. (creatures). The castles are space-bases. Wich you can upgrade with all kinds of stuff. The Resources are... well, resources in space. It's the same turn based strategy used in Heroes. And battles in space is similar to battles in Heroes. Also turn-based. Don't know if you had magic in this game. I think it was more like a "technology" thing you can use (rather then the magic book in heroes). Hope anyone know wich game im talking about and can post the title in this topic for others looking for similar games of the beloved heroes series!PoPsuX_

Since this thread was resurrected...

Does anyone know that name of this game? It sounds.. interesting?

F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 F1_2004
this is what I found: http://hubpages.com/hub/New-Heroes-of-Might-and-Magic
Avatar image for deactivated-64b76bd048860
deactivated-64b76bd048860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-64b76bd048860
Member since 2007 • 4363 Posts
Lol. I don't care how old this thred was in the first place. Don't even understand that you bother commenting on that kinda stuff!PoPsuX_
Your not supposed to bump old threads.
F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 F1_2004
[QUOTE="PoPsuX_"]Lol. I don't care how old this thred was in the first place. Don't even understand that you bother commenting on that kinda stuff!FPS_Gamer123
Your not supposed to bump old threads.

Thanks for contributing.
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
I've heard of a russian HOMM ripoff. Maybe you should check that out :D RK-Mara
which game is that ?
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 RK-Mara
[QUOTE="RK-Mara"] I've heard of a russian HOMM ripoff. Maybe you should check that out :D naval
which game is that ?

I really can't remember the game I was talking about. First I thought maybe Ascension to the Throne but that game came out after this thread.
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 naval
[QUOTE="naval"][QUOTE="RK-Mara"] I've heard of a russian HOMM ripoff. Maybe you should check that out :D RK-Mara
which game is that ?

I really can't remember the game I was talking about. First I thought maybe Ascension to the Throne but that game came out after this thread.

lol, maybe you meant an upcoming game :P , how is Ascension to the Throne ? it's user score score of 2.8 seems it is quite horrible
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RK-Mara
I have no idea what Ascension to the Throne is like as I haven't played the game, but I remember reading a review for the game I was talking about. I could browse through three years of Pelit magazines to find it :P
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 naval
I have no idea what Ascension to the Throne is like as I haven't played the game, but I remember reading a review for the game I was talking about. I could browse through three years of Pelit magazines to find it :PRK-Mara
Thanks, but naah .. looks like a troublesome task , and I doubt I will find it anywhere in stores or DD ,even if it was good
mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts
Well, disregarding that this is a 2 yr old thread, Elven Legacy, I think, is along the same lines as HOMM.
asgmodeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 asgmodeus
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
This topic still ranks high in Google, that's why even after it so old I would also like to reply here, instead of starting a new topic. About the Russian game, HOMM was actually the rip off way back. The original King's Bounty was released in 1990. A couple of years ago in 2008, the concept was rereleased in the form of King's Bounty: the Legend. (there are two updates Armored Princess and Crossworlds). The game is in my opinion definately worthwile, although it has some huge differences in gameplay when comparing to HOMM. At the creation of a game, a fixed number of creatures are put on the map, and that's it. It's one big world, existing of different Island you can visit, instead of going from map to map. You don't have cities you have to/can build and you have one hero in three types (warrior, wizard and paladin). That said, the battle system is very similar, and especially at a difficulty higher than normal, completing the game is a challenge. Graphics are great, and the game feels quicker than HOMM, because running around the map is not turn based. There are nice subquest and stories, and the game has some nice humor in it. Personally so far I found this the only game I found/played so far worth recommending if you're looking for a HOMM like game (turn-based strategy), however this game is more an (turn-based rpg). Crossworlds comes with a powerful editor, which makes it likely that some cool modding/map making will be done. If anyone found any other games like HOMM worth mentioning, I am definitely interested.
BatistutaRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BatistutaRS
Member since 2010 • 39 Posts
Disciples 2 maybe.
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
This topic still ranks high in Google, that's why even after it so old I would also like to reply here, instead of starting a new topic.asgmodeus
Ah, one of THOSE threads. :D Well, in that case.. I'd second the earlier rec in this thread to check out Age of Wonders II and/or Shadow Magic. They're on GoG (especially being on sale right now) - they have a very HoMM vibe with turn-based combat (smaller battles than HoMM, hex-based on a large map with distinct terrain features, though) in a fantasy world. It has heroes that you can level up and become powerful warriors or casters both on and off the battlefield, etc., though they participate directly in the combat and can be killed. It's a markedly different experience to HoMM, but still something that scratches a similar itch.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#25 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Kings Bounty! easy!

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts
Mount and Blade: Warbands, kinda plays like Might and Magic. Just that the battles are all in 3D, and you participate in them.
SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts
THanks for all the info. I need it too.
booingot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 booingot
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
2. Victoria: Revolutions 3. King of Dragon Pass 4. Age of Wonders II 5. Age of Wonders 6. Hearts of Iron II 7. Rome: Total War 8. Warlords II 9. Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword 10. Disciples II Olso you can try this nice online game. retro graphics, but the gameplay is awesome http://terrabellica.com
edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

Kings Bounty is awsome. Enough so that it even had 2 expansions.

Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

The browser-based Heroes of Might and Magic game is nothing like the original PC series. The combat is resolved with little input from the player.

Fantasy Wars has some tactical combat with fantasy creatures.

multiplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 multiplat
Member since 2009 • 1692 Posts
Fantasy Wars, ..i f u love HOMM , u have to chk out FW and Elven Legacy. They are awesome in the sense that ur units must be preserved and not killed off, or u loose all the skills and perks and exp that the unit accumulated...kind of different from HOMM, where u can just buy "more" units and ur hero will influence the unit
kickerbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kickerbs
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
for the futuristic game mentioned a long long time ago it is masters of orion i believe
pzoranni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 pzoranni
Member since 2009 • 103 Posts

this thread needs to be closed and have a do not resuscitate label slammed onto it.. 2007, really?

IZoMBiEI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 IZoMBiEI
Member since 2002 • 6477 Posts

lol, this thread was resurrected 3 different times, it just wont die.

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts

lol, this thread was resurrected 3 different times, it just wont die.

IZoMBiEI

4 ;)

EDIT BY AMNESIAC23: Indeed it has and I'm going to put it out of it's misery.