Some Interesting Batman Benchmarks

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Charles_Dickens
Charles_Dickens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Charles_Dickens
Member since 2009 • 1693 Posts

Batman Arkham Asylum has a benchmark utility which basically runs the engine and records your highs and your lows.

This game was held back of course because of PhysX, and I noticed in the demo (and now in the game itself) that if you want to run the game with PhysX at the highest setting then Rocksteady recommends that you have two GPUs (doesn't have to be SLI) and that you allow one of the GPUs to completely work on PhysX.

I have a single GTX 275 (on a core i7), and I was shocked at the benchmark result. This was with everything set to the highest possible setting, including PhysX, and with 4X anti-aliasing, at 1920x1080.

Min: 20 fps.

Average: 35 fps.

High: 60 fps.

My frame-rate, by the way, was capped at 60.

I had been expecting better results than that. But people at the official forum were saying that PhysX is a killer. And indeed when I turned off PhysX my numbers went through the roof.

The thing is, this summer my GTX 275 replaced a 9800gt, which has been sitting in the closet ever since - so I decided, why not install the 9800gt and use it for the PhysX. I did just that and ran the benchmark again. Here's what happened.

Min: 39

Avg: 58

High: 60

So it actually works. Dedicating one card to PhysX had a pretty substantial impact the on the performance. My minimum and average frames jumped significantly. Anyhow, I'm glad I kept hold of my 9800gt, because I had been planning on selling it for $40-$50. It'll at least be worth it for Batman.

2uneek4u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 2uneek4u
Member since 2006 • 2548 Posts

nvidia driver version 190.62 fixes that physx with batman aa. heres link

New in Release 190.62

• Adds WHQL support on Windows 7 for Microsoft's new DirectX GPU Computing API: DirectCompute.
  • Optimized for the latest PhysX gaming titles: Batman: Arkham Asylum and Darkest of Days.
  • Installs PhysX System Software version 9.09.0814.
  • Includes several bug fixes. More information can be found in the release documentation.
  • What is your Windows 7 upgrade plan? Take a Quick Survey.
Charles_Dickens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Charles_Dickens

Yup, I've already got the latest driver.

Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

That's damn impressive.

dinjo_jo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#5 dinjo_jo
Member since 2008 • 691 Posts
I thought of playing the game with Physx ON, now all my hopes are gone.
Charles_Dickens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Charles_Dickens

The numbers are even better with Vsync turned off.

Minimum: 44

Average: 75

High: 110

The difference is quite pronounced when my 9800gt is handling the PhysX and my GTX 275 is taking care of the rest of it. In that starting area, where The Joker is in the chair, and the guards are all around, and all those flags are flying up near the roof, the game runs like butter.

When just the GTX 275 was handling everything, that area did not feel smooth at all.

I could really tell the difference.

Charles_Dickens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Charles_Dickens
I thought of playing the game with Physx ON, now all my hopes are gone.dinjo_jo
There are three PhysX settings. Off. Medium. And high. My GTX 275 alone was able to handle the Medium setting, but the High setting gave it trouble. When I ran the benchmark at Medium, some of the graphics were just missing - all the flags, for example.
slowram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8 slowram
Member since 2002 • 29 Posts

Thank you for sharing your benchmark results. I played the demo with my 8800gt and when I enabled Physx it was unplayable. First game I've felt I needed a new card for, course disabling Physx as mentioned game was smooth, but the Physx (in my opinion) really adds to the environment and since it had been a long time since I upgraded my video card I felt it was worth it (and still do). I went out and got a GTX 260 and like you set my 8800 GT for Physx my benchmark results (on Win7 RC 64 bit fyi):

Min: 13 (UGH)

Avg: 45

Top: 66

That's with Physx Maxed out and everything turned on (very high - highest setting) but no Anti Aliasing (I don't see any jaggies so haven't bothered turning it on). The game is very playable.

Great game by the way. I am not usually into fighting type games, but this game with all it's options and very easy fighting (if playing smart - even with keyboard/mouse) is great and a lot of fun. Took me like 10 times to take out Bane boss on normal difficulty (I'm only like 16% of the way through currently - game tells you %) as I'm not too talented in action parts of games, still very enjoyable and hard to put down. If not for work I'd definitely play this game all night.

morganjames1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 morganjames1
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
time for a new computer :)
aura_enchanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 aura_enchanted
Member since 2006 • 7942 Posts

Thank you for sharing your benchmark results. I played the demo with my 8800gt and when I enabled Physx it was unplayable. First game I've felt I needed a new card for, course disabling Physx as mentioned game was smooth, but the Physx (in my opinion) really adds to the environment and since it had been a long time since I upgraded my video card I felt it was worth it (and still do). I went out and got a GTX 260 and like you set my 8800 GT for Physx my benchmark results (on Win7 RC 64 bit fyi):

That's with Physx Maxed out and everything turned on (very high - highest setting) but no Anti Aliasing (I don't see any jaggies so haven't bothered turning it on). The game is very playable.

Great game by the way. I am not usually into fighting type games, but this game with all it's options and very easy fighting (if playing smart - even with keyboard/mouse) is great and a lot of fun. Took me like 10 times to take out Bane boss on normal difficulty (I'm only like 16% of the way through currently - game tells you %) as I'm not too talented in action parts of games, still very enjoyable and hard to put down. If not for work I'd definitely play this game all night.

slowram

i smell a warcraft old skool person ..

and yeah its a great game ill get some banchmarks for my legacy system for you if i have the time

Charles_Dickens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Charles_Dickens

slowram
Other people are reporting that enabling a second GPU to handle the PhysX has done nothing for their low FPS - it's still low for them. All I know is that for me it made a massive difference, although this is probably the only game where that's going to happen. I'll likely remove the 9800gt when I'm done with Batman, since my temps have risen noticeably. And yes, the game is even better than the demo. There are so many little things happening... and the art-direction... and the graphics... it's just mind blowing.
G-Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 G-Lord
Member since 2004 • 2141 Posts

Thanks for this interesting results. I guess I will not enable PhysX on my ancient 8800 GTS 320 in that case when I will finally get the game :P

teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 teardropmina
Member since 2006 • 2806 Posts

well, B:AA is on Unreal 3 engine, and thus quite well optimized like most unreal 3 games.

physx is certainly a big plus, but overal, the image quality looks as good as the engine allows, nothing spectacular, better than BIA:HH and Wolfenstein, but not much imporved from Mass Effect. ME still wins in the character model department.

Game is ok.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10508 Posts

sweet, ive got an 8800gtx sat around may as well hook that up for physx and leave my gtx 295 for the game. i have a 750w psu hope that is enough

Charles_Dickens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Charles_Dickens

sweet, ive got an 8800gtx sat around may as well hook that up for physx and leave my gtx 295 for the game. i have a 750w psu hope that is enough

Macutchi
Run the benchmark first with PhysX on High, and if your minimum is low, then, and only then, install the 8800gtx.