[Solution] Unable to End Game Processes in Task Manager With Windows 8

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Author_Jerry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Author_Jerry
Member since 2006 • 568 Posts
On several occasions, now, when a game has frozen, I'm unable to enter Task Manager to end the process. A number of different games have frozen, and, when I hit Ctrl + Shift + ESC, Ctrl + Alt+ Del, or Alt + Tab, I'm sent back to desktop with the taskbar and a black screen. Selecting applications from the taskbar does nothing; though, mousing over an open application does show the application and my wallpaper (I assume this is the Aero Peek feature) but clicking on the preview sends me back to the black screen, with no mouse or keyboard control. Pressing Alt + Tab or Windows-Key + Tab to switch applications has the same effect. Right-clicking on the application from the taskbar to close it also has no effect. The only ways I can shut down the game are to either sign out of Windows 8 or restart the computer. Has anyone else suffered from this problem? Any ideas how to fix it? Edit: I found a solution, for anyone who has had this problem and stumbles upon my thread: In the Options menu in Task Manager, enable Always on Top. The Task Manager will now appear on top of the black screen, and the unresponsive process can be closed. I don't know why this was a problem with Windows 8, when Windows Vista never gave me this trouble, but at least the stubborn games can now be closed without extra hassle.
Bieberfan147

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 Bieberfan147
Member since 2012 • 106 Posts
Thank you very much, this simple solution that I easily oversaw has helped me a lot. Before this I was signing out of windows to close programs