Socket/Mother Board

This topic is locked from further discussion.

linkfreak4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 linkfreak4
Member since 2008 • 104 Posts

Hello, well, I think I am going to do an upgrade, or just build a whole new computer altogether, but the one thing I really want to upgrade is my processor. So I'm looking on processors and stuff and I hear that they have sockets that are supposedly supposed to fit into the same socket of the mother board. So here I am thinking that I have to get a new motherboard just for the new processor,(which will double the price of the upgrade, give or take a few).

So, is there anyway that I can check what socket that I have on my motherboard, also I do not currently know what motherboard I have, as it is not listed in device manager from what I've seen.

Also another question on motherboards, I will be using gaming as the main task for my computer, so what specs of a mother board should I look out for? I think FSB speed is pretty important, but I'm not sure what it's for. Also, on the specs that I should look out for, what numbers(stats) should I be thinking about on them like a range of reccomendation.

If it helps: My processor is an AMD Sempron Processor 3400+, according to device manager.

I haven't been on in awhile, since I went on a 2 week trip, so it might be hard to understand, so just ask if you need further clarification.

~Truelight;)

Edit: Not sure what processor I will get yet, if you guys could reccomend one that would be great. The only processors that I have heard to be "good" are from Intel and that is the E series and QX series.

chadw_genx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 chadw_genx
Member since 2005 • 229 Posts

You will need to get a CPU that is compatible with the socket type on your mobo. The easiest way to find out is to crack open your case and look at the top part of the socket, it will state it there, like Socket 776 or whatever, for example. If you're after a newer AMD Processor, chances are you're going to need a newer board, because I doubt you've got an AM2 socket type, etc. Your best bet is probably going to be opting for something non Sempron in your same socket category if you're on a budget.

Your FSB speed is the speed at which your northbridge interacts with your CPU. Think of it like the speed at which a cavalry scouting unit would travel to bring forth vital information across a certain distance of the battlefield. The faster your FSB speed = the better. Lol, hope that helps.

chadw_genx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 chadw_genx

Just read your edit: If you're after an Intel CPU like the ones you mentioned, you're definitely going to need a new board.

Addition to this post: You're going to need to make sure your current memory and vid. card etc. is going to be compatible with your new board as well. For example, if you have DDR-1 mem. and you move to a DDR-2 board, you'll need to upgrade your memory, etc.

linkfreak4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 linkfreak4
Member since 2008 • 104 Posts

Man, need a new motherboard now, and the new ones will most likely have ddr2 memory, and my 1.5 gigs is ddr, haha darn. Oh, and motherboards have memory? :| I thought there was only RAM and Hard Drive, oh well I'm still new to computers, haha but anyway.

Do you reccomend any motherboards? I have not looked into them at all, and the only one that I have heard about is the p35, I think what it's called, and, even then I haven't looked on it. So yeah, if you could reccomend me one, then I'll look up specs and prices and whatnot.

Thanks

~Truelight

Sentinel672002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Sentinel672002
Member since 2004 • 1585 Posts
How much are you willing to spend for a new gaming system?
chadw_genx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 chadw_genx

It depends on your budget. If price is not an issue, see this interesting article from Tom's Hardware:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/x48-790i-chipset,1940.html

It compares the top two chipset offerings from nvidia and intel for intel based proc's.

If you're shopping for something more conservative, visit newegg or tigerdirect or anywhere else reasonable and look at stuff in your price range and then do some google research on the boards. :D