So Wildstar early access starts Saturday, you buying? **POLL**

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Poll So Wildstar early access starts Saturday, you buying? **POLL** (51 votes)

Yes 22%
Nope 29%
Not sure just yet... 16%
Later down the road maybe... 20%
Never!! 14%

Curious where you guys stand on this game...

• 
BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

This poll is kicking a$$ and taking names.....

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Yup got it fully paid off

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

Nope, I have zero interest in the game.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

No for me. Just couldn't get into it. I'm enjoying Watch Dogs at the moment anyway.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BSC14

@FelipeInside said:

No for me. Just couldn't get into it. I'm enjoying Watch Dogs at the moment anyway.

You don't have time anyway. :P

Oooohhhhh I went there :P

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@BSC14 said:

@FelipeInside said:

Oh no... don't go there... you'll let the trolls out of the cave again, lol....

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@BSC14 said:

@FelipeInside said:

Oh no... don't go there... you'll let the trolls out of the cave again, lol....

seriously lets not start that again.

I dont think i'll ever buy another Themepark MMO ever again. They just dont do anything for me

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts

hell yeah... game is awesome. cant wait.

people should be supporting this game if only to show MMO devs that they need to start releasing FINISHED GAMES... and not expecting MMOers to just accept that 30+% of the content "can come out later because it wasnt finished"

wildstar is absolutely the most feature complete MMO to come out in the last 10 years.

ESO devs- "housing is something developers should look at after their game has a few anniversaries behind it"....

Wildstar devs- "we have housing with full customization at release.... F*** YEAH HARDCORE"

if you cant find something to do in wildstar, there is something wrong with you.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

@lawlessx said:

I dont think i'll ever buy another Themepark MMO ever again. They just dont do anything for me

I'm with you on that one. I didn't really care for the formula 15 years ago and now I simply can't stand it. The MMORPGs I've played, and stuck with for the long haul, were NOT of the theme-park variety.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#10  Edited By vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

I caved in and bought it like I do with every new MMO that I did not get into in beta. I do it in hopes that it being a real release and no wipes will inspire me to engage in it more. Rarely works. Oh well. I'm an addict.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

Combat is fun but storyline is boring as hell.

Not on my wish list

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By lawlessx
@-wildflower- said:

@lawlessx said:

I'm with you on that one. I didn't really care for the formula 15 years ago and now I simply can't stand it. The MMORPGs I've played, and stuck with for the long haul, were NOT of the theme-park variety.

Archeage is the only themepark MMO that im interested in playing and that is only because of it's sandbox elements. Not to mention it's free2play now.

after that it's afew indie MMOs like repopulation and Gloria Victis.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lawlessx

@vfibsux said:

I caved in and bought it like I do with every new MMO that I did not get into in beta. I do it in hopes that it being a real release and no wipes will inspire me to engage in it more. Rarely works. Oh well. I'm an addict.

im confused. are you hoping that there will be a wipe before release or that there wont be?

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

I haven't decided yet. I'm basically biding my time until Dragon Age: Inqusition is released. I would imagine Wildstar could provide a decently good distraction until that time but I'm just not sure yet.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#15  Edited By vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

@lawlessx said:

@vfibsux said:

im confused. are you hoping that there will be a wipe before release or that there wont be?

Tough for me to gauge whether or not I like an MMO in a beta because I know nothing I do counts, it will all be wiped prior to release at some point. Most of my joy in an MMO is my toon growing in a persistent world. So unless I absolutely hated the gameplay I tend to give it another chance at release for this reason.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

Later down the road.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

@cyloninside said:

people should be supporting this game if only to show MMO devs that they need to start releasing FINISHED GAMES... and not expecting MMOers to just accept that 30+% of the content "can come out later because it wasnt finished"

wildstar is absolutely the most feature complete MMO to come out in the last 10 years.

ESO devs- "housing is something developers should look at after their game has a few anniversaries behind it"....

Wildstar devs- "we have housing with full customization at release.... F*** YEAH HARDCORE"

if you cant find something to do in wildstar, there is something wrong with you.

What if dealing with semi predictable AI, PvP in a game burdened by PvE rules not to mention gear imbalance and instanced housing (when superior alternatives exist) just doesnt appeal to you?

I may not be one of those people, but I can definitely see how people can't find anything interesting to do in WildStar, as a matter of fact, I know several people who gotten to the level cap and were really unimpressed.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 cyloninside

@Maroxad said:

@cyloninside said:

What if dealing with semi predictable AI, PvP in a game burdened by PvE rules not to mention gear imbalance and instanced housing (when superior alternatives exist) just doesnt appeal to you?

I may not be one of those people, but I can definitely see how people can't find anything interesting to do in WildStar, as a matter of fact, I know several people who gotten to the level cap and were really unimpressed.

considering none of the endgame dungeons, raids, adventures, or hard mode dungeons were available in beta, im sure they absolutely WERE bored at cap.

and lol to the rest of that....

"predictable AI".... i have never played a game without predictable AI. and this is an MMO... the AI needs to be somewhat predictable.

PVP burdened by PVE rules? ok, not sure what you are getting at there, but yes, you use the same skills in PVP as you do in PVE... just like every other MMO or game in existence.

instanced housing (when superior alternatives exist)??? FF14 is the only other major MMO to come out in the last like 8 years to even OFFER housing.... so please, what other MMOs have SUPERIOR alternatives and are still relevant in todays market?

sounds like you just want a reason to bitch to me.

I_Moderator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By I_Moderator
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

never even heard of wildstar! wot is it

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Maroxad

@cyloninside said:

considering none of the endgame dungeons, raids, adventures, or hard mode dungeons were available in beta, im sure they absolutely WERE bored at cap.

"predictable AI".... i have never played a game without predictable AI. and this is an MMO... the AI needs to be somewhat predictable. *1*

PVP burdened by PVE rules? ok, not sure what you are getting at there, but yes, you use the same skills in PVP as you do in PVE... just like every other MMO or game in existence. *2*

instanced housing (when superior alternatives exist)??? FF14 is the only other major MMO to come out in the last like 8 years to even OFFER housing.... so please, what other MMOs have SUPERIOR alternatives and are still relevant in todays market? *3*

1. I am talking predictable relative to other RPGs. AI goes after guy in heavy armor, throws out special moves every now and then. This kind of AI is dull and boring. When the AI does something unexpected that is when players will be forced to quickly adapt, and it is here actual tactics and thinking gets involved otherwise it is just following a shopping list which is the case for games like WoW, and even WildStar.

2. Guild Wars 1, EverQuest 2 are 2 games that had skills tweaked for PvP or PvE. Guild Wars 1 has the best arena based PvP of any online RPG.

3. Obviously by superior alternatives I was obviously talking about housing in the actual in game world. But if you wanna discuss that, I was far more impressed with RIFT's housing than what I saw of WildStar's. You see, unlike Wildstar, Rift's housing does not encourage you to throw random garbage all over the place just to increase your rest bonus or daily rewards.

Point is, I can easily see why someone cant find anything worthwhile to do in WildStar. While there are 3 distinct mechanics; that being instanced PvE, PvP and housing, both the housing and the pvp can be better experienced elsewhere and dungeons, especially instanced dungeons do not appeal to everyone. Hell look at what @lawlessx said: themeparks (like WildStar) just has nothing to offer people anymore to a lot of people anymore, they are fed up with a stale formula from 1999. I would be genuinely surprised if this game does not lose most of its subscribers in the first few months.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BSC14

@Maroxad said:

@cyloninside said:

"predictable AI".... i have never played a game without predictable AI. and this is an MMO... the AI needs to be somewhat predictable. *1*

PVP burdened by PVE rules? ok, not sure what you are getting at there, but yes, you use the same skills in PVP as you do in PVE... just like every other MMO or game in existence. *2*

instanced housing (when superior alternatives exist)??? FF14 is the only other major MMO to come out in the last like 8 years to even OFFER housing.... so please, what other MMOs have SUPERIOR alternatives and are still relevant in todays market? *3*

1. I am talking predictable relative to other RPGs. AI goes after guy in heavy armor, throws out special moves every now and then. This kind of AI is dull and boring. When the AI does something unexpected that is when players will be forced to quickly adapt, and it is here actual tactics and thinking gets involved otherwise it is just following a shopping list which is the case for games like WoW, and even WildStar.

2. Guild Wars 1, EverQuest 2 are 2 games that had skills tweaked for PvP or PvE. Guild Wars 1 has the best arena based PvP of any online RPG.

3. Obviously by superior alternatives I was obviously talking about housing in the actual in game world. But if you wanna discuss that, I was far more impressed with RIFT's housing than what I saw of WildStar's. You see, unlike Wildstar, Rift's housing does not encourage you to throw random garbage all over the place just to increase your rest bonus or daily rewards.

Point is, I can easily see why someone cant find anything worthwhile to do in WildStar. While there are 3 distinct mechanics; that being instanced PvE, PvP and housing, both the housing and the pvp can be better experienced elsewhere and dungeons, especially instanced dungeons do not appeal to everyone. Hell look at what @lawlessx said: themeparks (like WildStar) just has nothing to offer people anymore to a lot of people anymore, they are fed up with a stale formula from 1999. I would be genuinely surprised if this game does not lose most of its subscribers in the first few months.

I think calling the loss of most it's subs in the first few months is a bit premature.

Most these devs are the original WoW team and we all know how WoW has done....and that vanilla WoW was the best it ever offered to most people.

This game uses a similar world / questing formula but it's the combat that separates it. It's not the first to use a telegraphic but it's never been to the extreme of Wildstar.

I think if people give it a try past 10 levels they will probably stick with it. My understanding is that it starts pretty slow but like most mmos turns into a different game as things progress.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

@BSC14 said:

@Maroxad said:

@cyloninside said:

I think calling the loss of most it's subs in the first few months is a bit premature.

Most these devs are the original WoW team and we all know how WoW has done....and that vanilla WoW was the best it ever offered to most people.

This game uses a similar world / questing formula but it's the combat that separates it. It's not the first to use a telegraphic but it's never been to the extreme of Wildstar.

I think if people give it a try past 10 levels they will probably stick with it. My understanding is that it starts pretty slow but like most mmos turns into a different game as things progress.

I think it starts to pick it once you hit your first dungeon. Which looking at the videos for those it looks intense!

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Maroxad

@BSC14 said:

@Maroxad said:

@cyloninside said:

Actually, TBC is the most highly regarded era in WoW's history, with WotLK surprisingly getting a lot of praise recently. Vanilla WoW in particular was plagued with all sorts of problems, and I am not just talking about launch issues.

As for WildStar, I got to level 16 and the questing was still slow and boring, enemies could take more hits and inflict more damage, it could still be summarized as roll or walk out of telegraphs and proceed like nothing happened. It was better after level 10, but being better than the worst mmo experience I ever had is nothing to brag about. It was still a shallow experience.

Even RIFT, a competently designed mmo with good endgame had numbers drop quickly. The problem with the other mmos is not the lack of features as much as it is a formula that doesnt really cut it anymore. Those into games using this formula are already really attached to their communities and characters from other games whether it be WoW, RIFT or even EverQuest 2. The numbers will not drop as fast as SWTOR's or ESO's numbers did, but they will drop fast nonetheless.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BSC14

I think WOTLK and Vanilla are the two I have seen the most praise for.

Regardless, the core of the game came from these guys so it's probably fair to say it's a good thing that they are the ones designing it.

And again while you might me right about subs dropping it still remains to be seen so I'll not jump on the doom and gloom bandwagon just yet.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 cyloninside

@Maroxad said:

@cyloninside said:

if any of your points were correct, WoW would not still have millions of subscribers.

if people honestly didnt like raiding and dungeons anymore, WoW would have absolutely zero appeal to anyone anymore.

The fact of the matter is, a good majority of MMO players play MMOs to do raids and dungeons. that is not conjecture... that is fact.

all of your "points" seem really petty to me. like you dont understand MMOs at all.

in regards to AI and skills... Wildstar is not doing anything particularly different than any other MMO ever... why? because it is a proven model that works fine. i would argue that the AI in wildstar is actually far more aggressive than the majority of MMOs that have come out in recent years... but whatever.

in regards to your comment on housing... lol wut? the idea is not to "throw random garbage all over the place"....the goal is to be creative and design a space that is pleasing to yourself. it is also to be able to show off armor sets/collectibles that you have managed to acquire in game. the fact that you are able to mount the heads of raid bosses that you have downed, or whatever, on your wall as proof that you have conquered that content is great. granted this has been done in other games.... but it is FAR from "throwing random garbage all over".

again, like i said earlier... it just sounds like you are trying to find reasons to bitch about the game. it also doesnt sound like MMOs are your thing. both of these observations can lead one to believe that honestly your opinion is less than objective... which is fine.... because it is, after all, just an opinion.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#26 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Already preordered and ready to go. Early levels are going to be a bit boring but once adventures and dungeons open up the game gets extremely good.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By cyloninside

@Arthas045 said:

@BSC14 said:

@Maroxad said:

@cyloninside said:

I think it starts to pick it once you hit your first dungeon. Which looking at the videos for those it looks intense!

the first dungeon is WAY intense. a shit group will literally not even be able to get past the first trash mob pull......

yes it is that difficult.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By cyloninside

@Maroxad said:

@BSC14 said:

@Maroxad said:

@cyloninside said:

Actually, TBC is the most highly regarded era in WoW's history, with WotLK surprisingly getting a lot of praise recently. Vanilla WoW in particular was plagued with all sorts of problems, and I am not just talking about launch issues.

As for WildStar, I got to level 16 and the questing was still slow and boring, enemies could take more hits and inflict more damage, it could still be summarized as roll or walk out of telegraphs and proceed like nothing happened. It was better after level 10, but being better than the worst mmo experience I ever had is nothing to brag about. It was still a shallow experience.

Even RIFT, a competently designed mmo with good endgame had numbers drop quickly. The problem with the other mmos is not the lack of features as much as it is a formula that doesnt really cut it anymore. Those into games using this formula are already really attached to their communities and characters from other games whether it be WoW, RIFT or even EverQuest 2. The numbers will not drop as fast as SWTOR's or ESO's numbers did, but they will drop fast nonetheless.

no, they wont... but OK. whatever. you are clearly just bound and determined to not like the game.

if wildstar is the worst MMO experience you have ever had.... i think we have just discovered that you have probably not played many MMOs and they are simply not for you.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BSC14

@cyloninside:

He said "but being better than the worst mmo experience I ever had"....

Better than the worst being the key here....

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Maroxad
@cyloninside said:

no, they wont... but OK. whatever. you are clearly just bound and determined to not like the game.

if wildstar is the worst MMO experience you have ever had.... i think we have just discovered that you have probably not played many MMOs and they are simply not for you.

1. Just like BSC said, it was the low levels that are terribad. The game gets better later on going up from Bottom tier to low tier.

2. I forgot to put one of the in front of worst.

3. I have been playing MMOs before the the 21st century and I have had experiences with most major mmos out there.

@cyloninside said:

if any of your points were correct, WoW would not still have millions of subscribers. *4*

if people honestly didnt like raiding and dungeons anymore, WoW would have absolutely zero appeal to anyone anymore.

The fact of the matter is, a good majority of MMO players play MMOs to do raids and dungeons. that is not conjecture... that is fact.

all of your "points" seem really petty to me. like you dont understand MMOs at all. *5*

in regards to AI and skills... Wildstar is not doing anything particularly different than any other MMO ever... why? because it is a proven model that works fine. i would argue that the AI in wildstar is actually far more aggressive than the majority of MMOs that have come out in recent years... but whatever. *6*

in regards to your comment on housing... lol wut? the idea is not to "throw random garbage all over the place" ....the goal is to be creative and design a space that is pleasing to yourself*7*. it is also to be able to show off armor sets/collectibles that you have managed to acquire in game. the fact that you are able to mount the heads of raid bosses that you have downed, or whatever, on your wall as proof that you have conquered that content is great. granted this has been done in other games.... but it is FAR from "throwing random garbage all over".

again, like i said earlier... it just sounds like you are trying to find reasons to bitch about the game. it also doesnt sound like MMOs are your thing *8*. both of these observations can lead one to believe that honestly your opinion is less than objective... which is fine.... because it is, after all, just an opinion. *9*

4. Until the level boost, WoW's population was also declining at a steady rate. Also attachment is a huge aspect of what makes or breaks an mmo. WildStar, being new, does not have this key advantage.

5. Pretty sure I have a good understanding of mmos.

6. It is also a model people are getting fed up with, remember one of the key reasons GW2 got a lot of hype? And no some people may like it but not everyone does. Remember what I am arguing for here is that it is very plausible for someone not to find anything interesting to do in WildStar.

7. The "better" decorated your room is, the greater your rested xp bonus. Likewise, I know that I for one will be placing those exterior things not based on whether they look nice or not, but rather what bonuses they provide.

8. I am actually interested in 2 upcoming mmos.

9. Yes it is, and that is the point. I enjoy (challenging) raids personally, but I know a lot of people who find raiding to be a massive chore. I am gonna get WildStar day 1, since I enjoy challenging raiding, but the other aspects look really meh and felt really meh from my experience in the beta. Likewise I can also see why someone might not find anything to do in WildStar. Mostly as a reply to nonsense like this,

@cyloninside said:

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BSC14

Can't believe I'm saying this but I'm tired of new MMOs now.

After I spend time in Wildstar I'll decide what MMO I'm going to settle into...I'm expecting that to Wildstar or ESO.

Until WoW's next expansion anyway.....

Only other one I can think of that I might look at is Everquest Next.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

another shitty cookie cutter mmo? nope

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BSC14

Midnight Pacific time tonight for headstart

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Maroxad

@BSC14 said:

Can't believe I'm saying this but I'm tired of new MMOs now.

I agree, but alas, hype will sell the masses on the next big thing after wildstar has been forgotten.

In its infancy, mmorpgs (as well as its ancestor MUDs), were primarily society based games that lived and died on its community. The developers knew this well and built their games around player interaction and playing with other players. However, mmos were more than just large virtual societies, but also simulated worlds pretty well, giving players a large ammount of freedom to do what they want to do and play how they want. It was entirely possible to play an mmo for years after years never picking up a sword at any point. Players would interact with eachother, both in mutually beneficial ways as well as destructive. Because developers would let the game evolve on its own, gameworld would feel alive and dynamic, rather than the stagnant lifeless swamps that make up modern mmorpgs This however came with risk and danger, but that risk and danger also helped foster a community on trust where being a jerk would get you killed and in game politics. Alliances and guilds would form and be gone the next day having an impact on everyone playing the server. Players could start a guild dedicated to piracy or theft, and other players may respond to this by forming vigilante guilds, tracking down criminals and returning stolen goods to the criminal's victims. These factors really helped players feel like everyone had a role and place in a vibrant and living community and world, rather than yet another hero from a long assembly line producing millions of heroes all destined to save the world just like what you did. Just like these mmos are practically from an assembly line of half baked rushed out trash to make money from a desperate group of mmo jumpers trying to find a new home, rather than being designed intelligently and with a strong passion for the genre.

Seriously if you compare modern mmos to old. Which of the following 2 groups will get the most fondly remembered? Group 1 containing: Ultima Online, Ascheron's Call, EverQuest, Dark Age of Camelot and Final Fantasy XI. Or group 2 containing Elder Scrolls Online, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2, TERA and now even WildStar.

There is a reason I am not mentioning WoW until now, but that is because Vanilla WoW did not coodle players like modern mmorpgs such as WildStar does.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#35 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58928 Posts

The first time I saw it I thought it looked impressive. Really colorful and full of character.

However reactions haven't been so great. Expectations are somewhat dimmed.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BSC14

@uninspiredcup said:

The first time I saw it I thought it looked impressive. Really colorful and full of character.

However reactions haven't been so great. Expectations are somewhat dimmed.

The only bad thing I have seen is the server queues which at this point in MMOs I personally think a bit ridiculous.

I really like it so far....

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#37  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58928 Posts

I'm going to be sticking with FF: Realm Reborn. Really great game.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BSC14

@uninspiredcup said:

I'm going to be sticking with FF: Realm Reborn. Really great game.

Really?

I freaking hate that game....the Japanese art style and flare is just way too strange for me.

I wanted to like it and did at first but it was short lived.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Maroxad

This game is basicly an improved Guild Wars 2. While that may not sound so good (seeing as GW2 is in the low tier of mmos I have played), I think that as a whole WildStar just is well executed. The game starts out pretty horribly, but once you get to level 20 the game becomes enjoyable.

Overall, the game is one of the better mmorpgs I have played. Which is nice considering my expectations were pretty much rock bottom.

• I was happy there was a cast bar, because the lack of one proved to be utterly disastrous causing short and small characters to have a MASSIVE advantage over larger ones (hello there Asura), but I was unhappy about the markings on the ground because I feared they would only lead to stay out of the red carpet nonsense MMORPGs devolved into after TSW. But ingame it turned out that this made battles with more than 4 players actually manageable, you could quickly identify if an AoE spot was from a friend or foe. Mobs impressed me quite a bit, since the painted floors were fast enough and actually challenging to dodge as opposed to the "oh look" its time to dodge nonsense that has been all to prevalent with telegraphed attacks.
  • PvP is rather disappointing thus far. But hey, at least there is more than one game mode. It is easily the weakest link of the game, but doesnt matter since WildStar is a PvE game anyway.
  • I do feel there is a slight shortage of skills, This is probably my main complaint with the game.
  • There is some platforming involved (even for non explorers), which is unfortunate. But it is such a small part it doesnt detract from the game. And before someone mentions the irony of someone having a Mario avatar complaining about platforming, I play platformers for platforming, and I play mmorpgs for virtual societies, I do not play mmorpgs for platforming, I have platformers for that.
  • Once you get strong enough, mobs can kill you. And getting hit by their telegraphed attacks will take away a good ammount of HP. Avoiding telegraphed attacks is nowhere near as easy as it is in other mmos.
  • While the game can be tough, it is also fair, if you mess up, you will usually know what you did wrong.
  • The biggest challenge from the came comes not from the mobs themselves but dealing with the buggy and awkward UI. If Carbine doesnt fix it soon, modders will.
  • There is a subscription fee, so hopefully Carbine will be motivated to keep players in the game.
  • THREE trial keys... THREE trial keys. Most mmorpgs nowdays offer 0. With this I could invite THREE buddies to play with me.

I enjoy it a lot more than I enjoyed the beta. Though a huge reason for this may be the fact that the game has permanency now, which is one of those big draws mmorpgs have.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 cyloninside

easily the best MMO to release since vanilla WoW. the game is pretty boss.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 BSC14

@Maroxad said:

This game is basicly an improved Guild Wars 2. While that may not sound so good (seeing as GW2 is in the low tier of mmos I have played), I think that as a whole WildStar just is well executed. The game starts out pretty horribly, but once you get to level 20 the game becomes enjoyable.

Overall, the game is one of the better mmorpgs I have played. Which is nice considering my expectations were pretty much rock bottom.

• I was happy there was a cast bar, because the lack of one proved to be utterly disastrous causing short and small characters to have a MASSIVE advantage over larger ones (hello there Asura), but I was unhappy about the markings on the ground because I feared they would only lead to stay out of the red carpet nonsense MMORPGs devolved into after TSW. But ingame it turned out that this made battles with more than 4 players actually manageable, you could quickly identify if an AoE spot was from a friend or foe. Mobs impressed me quite a bit, since the painted floors were fast enough and actually challenging to dodge as opposed to the "oh look" its time to dodge nonsense that has been all to prevalent with telegraphed attacks.
  • PvP is rather disappointing thus far. But hey, at least there is more than one game mode. It is easily the weakest link of the game, but doesnt matter since WildStar is a PvE game anyway.
  • I do feel there is a slight shortage of skills, This is probably my main complaint with the game.
  • There is some platforming involved (even for non explorers), which is unfortunate. But it is such a small part it doesnt detract from the game. And before someone mentions the irony of someone having a Mario avatar complaining about platforming, I play platformers for platforming, and I play mmorpgs for virtual societies, I do not play mmorpgs for platforming, I have platformers for that.
  • Once you get strong enough, mobs can kill you. And getting hit by their telegraphed attacks will take away a good ammount of HP. Avoiding telegraphed attacks is nowhere near as easy as it is in other mmos.
  • While the game can be tough, it is also fair, if you mess up, you will usually know what you did wrong.
  • The biggest challenge from the came comes not from the mobs themselves but dealing with the buggy and awkward UI. If Carbine doesnt fix it soon, modders will.
  • There is a subscription fee, so hopefully Carbine will be motivated to keep players in the game.
  • THREE trial keys... THREE trial keys. Most mmorpgs nowdays offer 0. With this I could invite THREE buddies to play with me.

I enjoy it a lot more than I enjoyed the beta. Though a huge reason for this may be the fact that the game has permanency now, which is one of those big draws mmorpgs have.

I can't say I agree with the GW2 reference.

Maybe in that the combat is more action oriented vs the typical tab targeting combat but I would say that's about it.

For one they use the trinity in WS which GW2 did not and that made it feel very much like a total mess in combat.

Also WS has a lot of endgame content....at least that's what they are saying. I'm not there yet but I know GW2 had just about no reason to play after max lvl.

And the questing is also completely different between the two...I'll WS's over GW2's not so dynamic artificial feeling events/quest.

Art style is also completely different...

Yeah not seeing a comparison really..

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Not going to buy the full version(on the 7 day trial)

Pros:

• Game looks pretty nice and runs very well.
  • You can change the fov by entering a command in the chat.

Cons:

• By default the camera doesn't pan where you are moving and you have to get an addon to fix that. it doesn't even work very well with the addon.
  • The combat isn't very good, I don't really get the hype. You just point in the general vicinity of the person you are shooting.
  • Movement is very stop and go-ey, which doesn't feel like an action game but more like WoW.
  • Production values for a big budget game aren't that good.

Although I am biased, I only really like action oriented MMORPGS like: Vindictus, Tera, Blade and Soul(haven't played this but it looks good).

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

I bought the game on gmg to give it a shot. My serial doesn't work! :(

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Maroxad

@BSC14 said:

@Maroxad said:

Maybe in that the combat is more action oriented vs the typical tab targeting combat but I would say that's about it.

For one they use the trinity in WS which GW2 did not and that made it feel very much like a total mess in combat.

Also WS has a lot of endgame content....at least that's what they are saying. I'm not there yet but I know GW2 had just about no reason to play after max lvl.

And the questing is also completely different between the two...I'll WS's over GW2's not so dynamic artificial feeling events/quest.

Let's see here,

Combat: Heavily reliant on move and attack gamestyle, 2 dodge roll system, paint floor red for a few seconds then attack, buffs and debuffs simplified. The CC shield reminds me heavily of GW2's system which is the exact same thing.
Customization: Limited skill slots, talent system designed to let players invest heavily into multiple paths.
Questing: A mix between favors using a percentage for quest progression, story quests and public quests.
Paths: The explorer path game me some serious GW2 vibes.
Partying: Everyone is in one big party.
Feel: The whole game gives off a very similar feel to GW2.

That is why I make the GW2 comparison.

WildStar so far is basicly like GW2, but is actually well executed.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 BSC14

@Maroxad said:

@BSC14 said:

@Maroxad said:

Let's see here,

Combat: Heavily reliant on move and attack gamestyle, 2 dodge roll system, paint floor red for a few seconds then attack, buffs and debuffs simplified. The CC shield reminds me heavily of GW2's system which is the exact same thing.

Customization: Limited skill slots, talent system designed to let players invest heavily into multiple paths.

Questing: A mix between favors using a percentage for quest progression, story quests and public quests.

Paths: The explorer path game me some serious GW2 vibes.

Partying: Everyone is in one big party.

Feel: The whole game gives off a very similar feel to GW2.

That is why I make the GW2 comparison.

WildStar so far is basicly like GW2, but is actually well executed.

A lot of MMOs have most those things, this game is nothing like GW2 imo....especially the feel.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

Nope. Maybe down the road, but not anytime soon.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Maroxad

@BSC14 said:

A lot of MMOs have most those things, this game is nothing like GW2 imo....especially the feel.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree then.

This game gives me off serious GW2 vibes from its combat (what you will spend the majority of the game doing), questing and overall feel. I would personally argue that GW2 and RIFT are its biggest influences.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 BSC14

@Maroxad said:

@BSC14 said:

I guess we will have to agree to disagree then.

This game gives me off serious GW2 vibes from its combat (what you will spend the majority of the game doing), questing and overall feel. I would personally argue that GW2 and RIFT are its biggest influences.

That is so strange to me that you think Rift and GW2 are the biggest influences. Oh well....to each his own I guess.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

@BSC14 said:

It's the same.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

The art style and lore has pretty much turned me completely away from this game.