So is this it ? Xbone controller

This topic is locked from further discussion.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 45993 Posts

Recently, Microsoft has released drivers to allow people to use the Xbox One controller on PC.

But there is one catch: you need to hook it up with a cable. There is no wireless support.

This makes it pretty usless for me (and I'm sure other people as well) because of the way my PC and TV are set up.

Is this it ? Is MS done now ? Or have they said they'll work on wireless support or perhaps a dongle like with the 360 controller.

Does anyone know ?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

Recently, Microsoft has released drivers to allow people to use the Xbox One controller on PC.

But there is one catch: you need to hook it up with a cable. There is no wireless support.

This makes it pretty usless for me (and I'm sure other people as well) because of the way my PC and TV are set up.

Is this it ? Is MS done now ? Or have they said they'll work on wireless support or perhaps a dongle like with the 360 controller.

Does anyone know ?

I read they released this driver and then will release the wireless version down the track. That was just a random website though so it could be just a rumour.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 R4gn4r0k

@FelipeInside said:

I read they released this driver and then will release the wireless version down the track. That was just a random website though so it could be just a rumour.

Alright, that's probably all we know.

The 360 controller was and still is really popular on PC. If MS wants the Xbone controller to be as well, they have to make it work wireless too. So I really hope they continue working on it.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

I'll stick with a wireless 360 controller until a wireless one comes out.
I don't use the controller so much so doesn't really matter that much to me.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 R4gn4r0k

@insane_metalist said:

I'm pretty happy with my 360 controller too.

I just want a controller with a better D-pad for when I play platformers. Tried hooking up my Wii U pro controller but it wasn't recognized by a single game.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

@insane_metalist said:

I'm pretty happy with my 360 controller too.

I just want a controller with a better D-pad for when I play platformers. Tried hooking up my Wii U pro controller but it wasn't recognized by a single game.

you need to buy this to get the pro controller to work on pc ebay it will only work wireless though

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 R4gn4r0k

@TheShadowLord07 said:

you need to buy this to get the pro controller to work on pc ebay it will only work wireless though

Yes, I've heard about that before. I'll look into buying one of those.

And perhaps I won't even need an Xbone controller after that anymore. As the nintendo d-pad > xbox one controller d-pad :p

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

Question is - is it any better than the X360 controller? got new look of course but is it any better?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@PredatorRules said:

Question is - is it any better than the X360 controller? got new look of course but is it any better?

Slightly.

+Triggers are better and have rumble

+D-pad is better (but still not as good as Nintendo D-pad

+Analog sticks are slightly smaller, which is also an improvement. The controller just feels better when holding it

-Shoulder buttons are worse than 360 controller

-AA batteries. Which means that if you want to use this wireless on PC and replace your 360 controller you'll have to buy the controller, the wireless dongle (if they ever make one) and a play and charge kit all over again...

TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheShadowLord07

@R4gn4r0k said:

@TheShadowLord07 said:

Yes, I've heard about that before. I'll look into buying one of those.

And perhaps I won't even need an Xbone controller after that anymore. As the nintendo d-pad > xbox one controller d-pad :p

how's the wii u pro controller?

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11  Edited By skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

#Am I only one who don't mind wired controllers?. Will buy if cheap enough as need a new controller. think I should also buy a boxing Bag.

Also would the PC version work on the Xbox as a spare or if 2 player?.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

No wireless seriously? What a waste.....

I'll just stick with my dualshock 4 then.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 R4gn4r0k

@TheShadowLord07 said:

how's the wii u pro controller?

Pretty great.

It has got an insanely long battery life. It's been months since I've charged them and they are still running.

They also have a great d-pad, and the d-pad and face buttons are in the same horizontal position so that's great for 2D platformers.

One bad thing though: the triggers are analog and not pressure sesitive like 360, Xbone, PS3 and PS4 controllers are. So it's either on or off.

Overall: 9/10

But no native PC support :p

@skipper847 said:

#Am I only one who don't mind wired controllers?. Will buy if cheap enough as need a new controller. think I should also buy a boxing Bag.

Also would the PC version work on the Xbox as a spare or if 2 player?.

Yes, you can switch between PC and Xbone no problem

But these controllers aren't cheap :p

@ShepardCommandr said:

No wireless seriously? What a waste.....

I'll just stick with my dualshock 4 then.

How well does that work on PC ?

i.e. does it work in all games that support a 360 controller ?

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

The drivers released are a preview. That's why they are on Major Nelson's webpage and not on the official Xbox site.

No confirmation yet, but I expect them to add wireless functionality for the full release.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 R4gn4r0k

@EducatingU_PCMR said:

The drivers released are a preview. That's why they are on Major Nelson's webpage and not on the official Xbox site.

No confirmation yet, but I expect them to add wireless functionality for the full release.

Thanks for the answer :)

But I thought it was released on Major Nelson's website first and he said they would come in a future Windows update... So, either they mean the 'preview drivers' or the 'future drivers' that are coming as a windows update.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#16 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

Really considering getting one. I really like improved of the D-pad

I usually prefer wired since I have a traditional desk setup.

I am just conditioned to not liking wireless input peripherals after having some bad experiences dealing with dead batteries at the wrong time. Or that I am forgetful in that I forget charging stuff.

That and my 360 sits nearby so the input will conflict and likely turn my 360 on.

verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 verbalfilth
Member since 2006 • 5043 Posts

Switching over to the xbone controller is more of a step back. I own two of the controllers (I always get an extra one when I buy a console). They feel flimsy, d-pad is still atrocious and no wireless support yet. All of these can be ignored for the most part if you're not too picky, but the biggest downfall is that MS decided to make the bumper buttons more resistant to presses. I find myself having to press the trigger buttons twice since most of my initial presses don't trigger an action. You actually have to hear a slight click before the press registers.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Relax, they'l make a it wireless, and they'l release it along side their new DRM.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@illmatic87 said:

Really considering getting one. I really like improved of the D-pad

I usually prefer wired since I have a traditional desk setup.

I am just conditioned to not liking wireless input peripherals after having some bad experiences dealing with dead batteries at the wrong time. Or that I am forgetful in that I forget charging stuff.

That and my 360 sits nearby so the input will conflict and likely turn my 360 on.

My 360 is set a few feet away from my PC.

I have never, ever turned on my 360 accidentally with controller that are tied to my PC.

It's simple: controllers tied to PC can only connect to PC. Controllers tied to 360 can only connect to 360 ;)

And how do I keep my controller from dying ? Well, I have 2 rechargeable battery packs for 360. When one is running low the lights start blinking. This means you'll have to charge the battery. So I plug in my second battery into the controller, and begin charging my first one.

But I think for you the best solution would be the play and charge kit. When it runs low, you can connect the cable to USB and it charges while you play.

If you don't mind the D-pad, get the 360 controller + play and charge kit ;)

(you'll need a wireless connector for PC too)

@verbalfilth said:

Switching over to the xbone controller is more of a step back. I own two of the controllers (I always get an extra one when I buy a console). They feel flimsy, d-pad is still atrocious and no wireless support yet. All of these can be ignored for the most part if you're not too picky, but the biggest downfall is that MS decided to make the bumper buttons more resistant to presses. I find myself having to press the trigger buttons twice since most of my initial presses don't trigger an action. You actually have to hear a slight click before the press registers.

Yeah, I'm really debating what controller I should get. It's mainly the d-pad I want improved.

So there is the Xbone controller, which does have a better d-pad, but still not perfect

PS4 controller has an ok D-pad. But I don't know how well it's supported compared to say 360 controller

And then I could also buy a peripheral to connect the Wii U pro controller...

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Relax, they'l make a it wireless, and they'l release it along side their new DRM.

I'm really relaxed now :O

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

DRM oh you, you never fail to disappoint!

alcatraz5953

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21 alcatraz5953
Member since 2014 • 80 Posts

Why not use a PS4 controller? As far as I'm aware it works via the usb charge cable and via bluetooth

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 R4gn4r0k

@alcatraz5953 said:

Why not use a PS4 controller? As far as I'm aware it works via the usb charge cable and via bluetooth

Does a PS4 controller work in all games that support 360/xbone controllers ?

I heard you could connect it via bluetooth. I am not able to use a wired controller because of how my PC and TV are set up.

TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheShadowLord07

@R4gn4r0k said:

@alcatraz5953 said:

Does a PS4 controller work in all games that support 360/xbone controllers ?

I heard you could connect it via bluetooth. I am not able to use a wired controller because of how my PC and TV are set up.

you need unofficial drivers. but (imo) it's kind of a hassle link

alcatraz5953

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24 alcatraz5953
Member since 2014 • 80 Posts

I haven't actually tried the PS4 controller myself, but I have a mate who uses his on PC and he prefers it to his old 360 controller

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#25  Edited By kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

You buy a super cheap cord, I dont see what the big deal is. The controller is a godo deal better than the 360 one which was already a well made controller.

The Directional pad (for fighting) is MUCH better, triggers are better now and its slgihtly improved in a bunch of ways, something I didn't think was really possible after the 360 one.

So far I have tried it on Thief, Child Of Light, Watch Dogs, Valient Hearts, Wolf Among Us and Outlast and its worked wonderful.

Im sure they will release new drivers soon anyways that will support wireless if thats what you really want. Also check out pc gamer review for xbox one controller if you have not, its a well done review.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

This is why I use my Dualshock 3s

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 R4gn4r0k

I'll look into the PS4 controller and how it works on windows. Thanks for the replies everyone

@kozzy1234 said:

You buy a super cheap cord, I dont see what the big deal is.

It's just impossible because of how my PC and TV are set up :(

I'll read the PC gamers reviews, they always have well written articles.

TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TheShadowLord07

@R4gn4r0k said:

I'll look into the PS4 controller and how it works on windows. Thanks for the replies everyone

@kozzy1234 said:

just remember to buy some third party thumbsticks in case if the dualshock 4's thumb sticks begin to peel off. I heard the that xbox one thumb sticks on the ds4 is pretty good.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Couldn't you just use ds3 tool to mimic 360 with a ps4 controller for older titles?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 R4gn4r0k

@TheShadowLord07 said:

just remember to buy some third party thumbsticks in case if the dualshock 4's thumb sticks begin to peel off. I heard the that xbox one thumb sticks on the ds4 is pretty good.

I doubt that :p

I've never had a controller break down ever, and some of them have been through a lot.

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Couldn't you just use ds3 tool to mimic 360 with a ps4 controller for older titles?

I dunno :p

But I'm pretty sure you can use a DS4 Xinput wrapper (dunno the name) to play with a Dualshock 4 in every game that supports Xinput (i.e. 360 and XBone controllers)

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

@verbalfilth said:

I agree. Not a fan of the clicky d-pad, and it seems it may brake at any time. DS4's d-pad is protected by the body of the controller itself, which provides more stability and a more solid feel.

Honestly, the most retarded decision to have the bumpers use that type of click, I think it's obvious that if 2 set of buttons are so closed to each other like the bumpers and triggers are, both have to require the same pressure to activate and use the same mechanism.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#32 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

@kozzy1234 said:

I see, Can't get a longer cord? I got a 10 foot cord so I can use it on my tv aswell as monitor :)

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 R4gn4r0k

@kozzy1234 said:

I see, Can't get a longer cord? I got a 10 foot cord so I can use it on my tv aswell as monitor :)

Well, the thing is, between my sofa and my TV there is an area where people can pass by. It doesn't happen that much, but it's annoying to have to warn them about the cable time after time :P

Therefor a wireless solution would be way better, but also more expensive...