So is Gears of War PC online completely dead?...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kidcool189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 kidcool189
Member since 2008 • 4307 Posts

So I have been craving some kind of online 3rd person shooter recently for pc, especially after dabbling around a bit with Gears 3(and wishing i was using a m&kb :P). With that said, one of my first obvious considerations is the original gears on pc.

I have a feeling the online is a ghost town right now, but could anyone confirm this?

Any other online 3rd person shooter suggestions would be appreciated too. (Monday night combat is one of the only ones i currently own, which is decent)

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

There were maybe one or two servers up when I got it a couple years ago. I'm sure nobody is playing the PC version at this point. Especially considering how surprisingly difficult it is to find these days.

Also if you are looking for a third person shooter game I recommend Resident Evil 5(don't play that game unless you have a co-op buddy thoe,) Dead Space series, and lost planet series.

Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts
MS and Epic ruined the PC version.
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

MS and Epic ruined the PC version. SAGE_OF_FIRE

what? no they didn't The multiplayer just didn't fit the taste of the PC community. That's it. Infact the PC version was alot better. They even added an extra level or 2 & touched up the gfx aswell.

darkfox101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 darkfox101
Member since 2004 • 7055 Posts

[QUOTE="SAGE_OF_FIRE"]MS and Epic ruined the PC version. painguy1

what? no they didn't The multiplayer just didn't fit the taste of the PC community. That's it. Infact the PC version was alot better. They even added an extra level or 2 & touched up the gfx aswell.

No GFWL was trash to use.
tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 tjoeb123
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts
[QUOTE="painguy1"]

[QUOTE="SAGE_OF_FIRE"]MS and Epic ruined the PC version. darkfox101

*sigh* Here we go again.... GFWL IS NOT TRASH. 'Nuff said.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

[QUOTE="darkfox101"][QUOTE="painguy1"]

tjoeb123

I agree, it has always worked fine for me, but pirates hate it.

white_sox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#9 white_sox
Member since 2006 • 17442 Posts
If you went on right now people are still playing, but the community isn't that strong. Most of the players are also the same ones who have been playing since launch so it is not exactly an easy game to get into.
[QUOTE="painguy1"]

It was also buggy as hell.
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 painguy1

[QUOTE="painguy1"]

why do u saw that GFWL is trash? what did it do to ruin ur experience? personally i forget that it even exits when im playing the game.

timma25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 timma25
Member since 2005 • 1131 Posts

At the time of GOW1 it was absolutely terrible. Now its a bit annoying to use but nowhere near the mess it was at the time.

xXDrPainXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 xXDrPainXx
Member since 2008 • 4001 Posts
I don't even remember there actually being a PC community for Gears to be honest and I bought it when it came out.
bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
I played it about a month ago. I found 2 people playing it in the 10hrs or so it took me to complete it. Absolutely no one is playing the competitive side though. Only co-op
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
There was one active server when I checked a few weeks ago.
Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

[QUOTE="SAGE_OF_FIRE"]MS and Epic ruined the PC version. painguy1

If the pc version came out same time as 360 with dedi servers it would have been very popular. Instead it comes out a year late and few weeks after MW 1 and TF 2 came out, the mp was p2p and the sp was a stutterfest. edit I confused UT 3 and Gears pc release dates. Gears pc came out same day as MW 1 lol
Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

tjoeb123

Yes it is. Nuff said. The fact that it was just a re-branded XBL for PC ruined my experience.

Mr_Ditters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#17 Mr_Ditters
Member since 2008 • 1920 Posts

The game was pretty messed up at release. There is a vsync bug they never fixed. Then there was the day where everyone's copy stopped working because of their DRM. They didn't give the PC version enough love. If they had released 2 and 3 with dedicated servers, PC gamers would have played em.

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
Also dont forget Mircosoft had the ridiculous notion that PC gamers would pay to play online and released the best part of GOW online as a paid subscription within GFWL. It wasnt until quite a while later they dropped the subscriptions.
edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

tjoeb123

Back then it was. It was filled with bugs, especially when updating, the interface was very counter intuitive and sometimes it would bug in the middle of the game and kick you out. On top of that you had to pay for gold lol

tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 tjoeb123
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

[QUOTE="tjoeb123"][QUOTE="darkfox101"] No GFWL was trash to use. edinsftw

Back then it was. It was filled with bugs, especially when updating, the interface was very counter intuitive and sometimes it would bug in the middle of the game and kick you out. On top of that you had to pay for gold lol

Back when Halo 2/Shadowrun first came out, yes, I agree with you that it was a glitchfest and as buggy as hell. But now, it's MUCH better, yet why do people still complain? At least the Achievements are handled better than Steam. (Oh god, we're getting into SW territory again...)
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

Epic makes awful engines.

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 painguy1

Epic makes awful engines.

GummiRaccoon

.... seriously dude?

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

[QUOTE="edinsftw"]

[QUOTE="tjoeb123"] *sigh* Here we go again.... GFWL IS NOT TRASH. 'Nuff said.tjoeb123

Back when Halo 2/Shadowrun first came out, yes, I agree with you that it was a glitchfest and as buggy as hell. But now, it's MUCH better, yet why do people still complain? At least the Achievements are handled better than Steam. (Oh god, we're getting into SW territory again...)

Achievements are handled like that on steam because no on pc really cares about achievements.

Gamemovies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Gamemovies
Member since 2011 • 56 Posts
Lol didnt even knew there was a pc version of gears :)