So im tryin to get into pc gaming but i just dont get it...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for GuillotineDream
GuillotineDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 GuillotineDream
Member since 2012 • 48 Posts

aight so ive tried playin a couple of games already and some work some dont and i dont get it. my computer meets all the recommened system requirments

like for example i tried borderlands 2 it runs fine for the most part. ive tried gta 4 it lags like crazy to the point its unplayable same with dead island. ive check the recommended requirments and my computer meets them so whats the problem?

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

without telling us your specs, we cant help much. Just because you meet the minimum specs on the box or whatever, doesnt mean it will work the best

slabber44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 slabber44
Member since 2004 • 985 Posts
Not knowing your computer specs, (please let us know what they are) but GTA IV is known throughout all PC gaming forums as being one of the worst ports of all time. It is very hard to get it to run especially if you PC just barely makes recommended requirements. Even people with top tier gaming rig sometimes still have issues. The best thing I can say is that being a PC gamer also means taking the time to do research on any game in which you plan to buy. Read up on possible patches, tweaks, mods, and so forth. Just because you make the minimum requirements for a game doesn't mean it will run great without tweaking certain settings.
GuillotineDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GuillotineDream
aight thanks guys ill post the specs in a minute and yea my pc barely meets the recommended requirements for gta 4 so that makes sense, i didnt buy and build a gaming rig either i just bought a computer and went on that can you run it site and figured id try some games that my computer could run, but yea my computer is by no means like a top of the line gaming rig lol
GuillotineDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GuillotineDream
CPU Recommended: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz, AMD Phenom X3 2.1GHz You Have: AMD A8-4500M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics CPU Speed Recommended: 2.4 GHz You Have: 1.9 GHz Performance Rated at: 4.27 GHz Recommended: Windows Vista - Service Pack 1 / XP - Service Pack 3 / Windows 7 You Have: Microsoft Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit Video Card Recommended: 512MB NVIDIA 8600+ / 512MB ATI 3870+ You Have: AMD Radeon HD 7640G Features: Recommended attributes of your Video Card Required You Have Icon 3D Yes Yes Icon Hardware T&L Yes Yes Icon Pixel Shader version 3.0 5.0 Icon Vertex Shader version 3.0 5.0 Icon Dedicated Video RAM 512 MB 512 MB Sound Card Recommended: Yes You Have: AMD High Definition Audio Device and those are the recommended not the minimum so id figure id be able to play it adn ive alose tried putting the graphics to lowest settings possible and it still didnt help much
GuillotineDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GuillotineDream
and what would u guys suggest doing so that in the future i dont buy a game that wont run? do most oc games have free demos to download so i can try it first? and its all good i guess i didnt spend over 10 dollars on any of those games i mentioned besides borderlands 2 and that one works at least lol
GuillotineDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GuillotineDream
and what does the cpu speed mean by 1.9 rated at 4.27?
Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

Well thats your problem there, you're running on a laptop with an APU.  Bottom of the barrel APU at that.  Discrete GPU (Graphics Card) is much better.

GuillotineDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GuillotineDream

Well thats your problem there, you're running on a laptop with an APU.  Bottom of the barrel APU at that.  Discrete GPU (Graphics Card) is much better.

Rage010101

yea its all good man like i said i didnt buy it as a gaming rig id figure id try some games out though, i guess ill stick to some older games. my bad but what exactly does that mean whats an apu?

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Rage010101

[QUOTE="Rage010101"]

GuillotineDream

yea its all good man like i said i didnt buy it as a gaming rig id figure id try some games out though, i guess ill stick to some older games. my bad but what exactly does that mean whats an apu?

APU in simple terms is basically a cpu+gpu (processor+graphics card) combined togeter into one single integrated part.  The PS4 and X1 have APU's, albeit a stronger one than yours.  Now you know why some pc gamers chuckle at next gen consoles.

GuillotineDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GuillotineDream

[QUOTE="GuillotineDream"]

[QUOTE="Rage010101"]

Rage010101

APU in simple terms is basically a cpu+gpu (processor+graphics card) combined togeter into one single integrated part.  The PS4 and X1 have APU's, albeit a stronger one than yours.  Now you know why some pc gamers chuckle at next gen consoles.

i got u, one more question i been kind of wanting to play guild wars 2 can i run that lol
KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts
You have a very low end computer and a laptop at that and no GPU, you should play some older games instead and if they are ports make sure you look some information up whenever the port is bad or good like in the case of GTA.
Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Rage010101

[QUOTE="Rage010101"]

[QUOTE="GuillotineDream"] yea its all good man like i said i didnt buy it as a gaming rig id figure id try some games out though, i guess ill stick to some older games. my bad but what exactly does that mean whats an apu?

GuillotineDream

i got u, one more question i been kind of wanting to play guild wars 2 can i run that lol

The problem with knowing what you can run is that system requirements are always listed as separate minimum/recommend cpu and gpu.  You would have to find out what the equivalent discrete graphics card is to your APU.  Another thing you can do is just try out Guild Wars 2 right off the bat as I believe there is a demo for it.

Ok just checked, there is a free trial.  Funny thing is though, the trial ends today in 10 hours.  Here is the link.  You can just download it, install, and see if your laptop can run it or not.  Doesnt hurt to try and to see how your pc performs with it, but I'll be honest, chances are it's gonna blow hard on your specs.

https://register.guildwars2.com/trial

GuillotineDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GuillotineDream

oh i also have this computer sitting around. it was my brothers friends old computer that he gave to me, i never used it though cuz they forgot the password to it, so i cant install or do anything with it really. if i wanted to use it basically i would have to get a copy of windows and reformat it right? (i think thats the correct term lol) and whats the cheapest upgrades i could make to it, to play some of the newer games on higher settings? http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c01154933

edit: i dont need u guys to go on like newegg and post the exact parts and stuff just let me know if you could what need to be upgraded and what could stay the same

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts
A cheap laptop is not PC Gaming
GuillotineDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GuillotineDream
and i really appreciate the help guys sorry for all the questions hahaha
Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

There are a lot of newer independent games that would run fine on any old laptop. I like FTL, Sword of the Stars: The Pit, Fist Puncher, and Plants vs Zombies.

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#20 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
You could try, eh, gog.com. They sell plenty of games that your computer should run.
Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Rage010101

oh i also have this computer sitting around. it was my brothers friends old computer that he gave to me, i never used it though cuz they forgot the password to it, so i cant install or do anything with it really. if i wanted to use it basically i would have to get a copy of windows and reformat it right? (i think thats the correct term lol) and whats the cheapest upgrades i could make to it, to play some of the newer games on higher settings? http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c01154933

edit: i dont need u guys to go on like newegg and post the exact parts and stuff just let me know if you could what need to be upgraded and what could stay the same

GuillotineDream

Honestly, all you have to do is replace the power supply with something decent, between 500-600 watts and get a graphics card like the gtx 660 or better and your all set to play games and max out most and play at very smooth frame rates.  You're looking at only spending around $200-$250 to have a nice pc to game with.  As long as you can recover that password.  I believe there are ways to get it or override it, just google it.

Here https://www.google.com/#q=i+forgot+my+windows+7+password

Bunch of links of steps you can try to get that pc running again.

Another thing I personally noticed is that it is an HP, meaning you can probably restore it by pressing "F11" Very early on at start up, just keep spamming "F11" when you power it on, eventually it should take you to the restore process.  Just in case, hope you have the windows key handy just in case is asks you for it.  Chances are the sticker is still on the pc somewhere.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

[QUOTE="GuillotineDream"]

Rage010101

Honestly, all you have to do is replace the power supply with something decent, between 500-600 watts and get a graphics card like the gtx 660 or better and your all set to play games and max out most and play at very smooth frame rates.  You're looking at only spending around $200-$250 to have a nice pc to game with.  As long as you can recover that password.  I believe there are ways to get it or override it, just google it.

Here https://www.google.com/#q=i+forgot+my+windows+7+password

Bunch of links of steps you can try to get that pc running again.

Another thing I personally noticed is that it is an HP, meaning you can probably restore it by pressing "F11" Very early on at start up, just keep spamming "F11" when you power it on, eventually it should take you to the restore process.  Just in case, hope you have the windows key handy just in case is asks you for it.  Chances are the sticker is still on the pc somewhere.

That Q6600 is getting a little long in the tooth though and considering in prebuild probably wont be able to overclock ( that q6600 would even limit my 6850 at default clocks on certain games let alone a gtx 660 ) let alone probably the case is wont even fit a gtx 660 . To Tc i suggest either an Amd 7750 ( that way you wont even need to buy a power supply since 7750 consumes very little power ) or if you are gonna get a power supply an Amd 7770 is a good choice.
whitey_rolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 whitey_rolls
Member since 2006 • 2547 Posts

Hey TC

Check out this website 

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/mid_range_gpus.html

Provides a number total for your GPU and you can compare it to discrete GPU's so you know hwere you stand.

You will see that the number show it's a pretty weak GPU, about as good as a 6 year old mid range GPU

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts
and i really appreciate the help guys sorry for all the questions hahahaGuillotineDream
questioning is the best way to learn more
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

If you insist on gaming with a laptop, you'll need to do a lot of research, far more than if you were getting a desktop PC.

A good place to start for laptop GPUs:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Comparison-of-Laptop-Graphics-Cards.130.0.html

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58485 Posts

aight so ive tried playin a couple of games already and some work some dont and i dont get it. my computer meets all the recommened system requirments

like for example i tried borderlands 2 it runs fine for the most part. ive tried gta 4 it lags like crazy to the point its unplayable same with dead island. ive check the recommended requirments and my computer meets them so whats the problem?

GuillotineDream

welcome to PC gaming, it is quirky as hell :)

it is an occupational hazard.  With a little research, you will find that certain games and certain setups do and do not play well together, and you must adjust settings accordingly.

It kind of sucks, but it is worth the freedom and visual upgrade over other platforms.  You will get used to it and even appreciate it.

Also, GTA IV is notorious for running like crap on any system.  I fixed my game by turning shadows down and reducing draw distance I think.  Dead Island didnt play nice with a certain manufacturer's vid card iirc, not 100% sure about that one though.

Like I said, go into video settings and start fiddling around with various things that increase framerate without decreasing quality significantly.  For me, I tend to stick to the stuff like AA, post-processing, and shadows.  I like to keep my textures and details and other FX up high though.