So I just started playing Sid Meier's Pirates!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

3riForce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 3riForce
Member since 2004 • 2293 Posts

And it feels like information overload. I'm thrown into the game with a bunch of objectives, a bunch of options for buying and selling, and I'm just confused. So far I've just been attacking random ships at sea and trying to learn it as I go. I noticed there's an enciclopedia in the main menu. Was this game overwhelming for anyone else?

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

Read the manual?

Pirates! is a collection of minigames, none too difficult. Go to some ports and activate quests if the sandbox overwhelms you. IIRC as long as you don't engage in the combat minigame, the ships firing at you on the main map won't sink your flagship so feel free to explore.

3riForce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 3riForce
Im actually getting the hang of it now and its pretty fun. I upped the difficulty level so I did lose my flagship, which sucks, but I'm definitely getting the hang of it now
geitenvla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 geitenvla
Member since 2006 • 960 Posts

Pirates! is fun. I've played the original and I was very pleased with this remake. It's not too difficult, basically you can do whatever you want. Here is a nice Strategy Guide. Have fun with this great game. And don't forget to take a look here for some excellent mods.

I think I'm gonna install the game now :D

[EDIT]

I just installed it, but I had some minor issues. Guess it has to do with Win 7 as I never had problems with it before. The installer crashed a couple of times (wouldn't let me make my own path), and after I managed to install the game (in the standard install dir) the game itself crashed. I'm running it in compatible mode (winxp sp3) now and it seems to run. Did you run in to trouble as well, on what OS did you install the game?
Too bad there isn't support for higher resolutions :(

El3ctrosisV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 El3ctrosisV2
Member since 2012 • 180 Posts
Try playing Europa Universalis III. Now there's an overwhelming game!
nyran125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 nyran125
Member since 2008 • 707 Posts

love Pirates, one of the coolest games ever made.

3riForce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 3riForce

geitenvla - Download it on Steam, its only $10, downloads very fast and I had no problems.

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
One of my all time favourite games. My record is something like 104 fame things by the end of the game.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#9 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
I got it for $1.50 during the winter sales (not sure if it was Steam), and what a steal...
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#10 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Great game, I was not sure how this one would be because the original one is one of my favorite games of all time, but it turned out very good :)

I would say just to give it some time, once you get the hang of things its pretty straight forward. Also maybe check out some walktrhoughs/strategy guides online, aswell as youtube videos (Lets plays, etc..)

AleksandarTale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AleksandarTale
Member since 2007 • 2906 Posts

It's not really difficult...

But it's an awesome game, as soon as I stumbled on this topic, I started looking for my copy.

I'm installing now. :P

3riForce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 3riForce
Only thing is... I've been killing the same high-profile wanted guys over and over. They're like Bowser, they keep coming back. Couldn't they have come up with more characters? Thats my only complaint.
PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

I thought it was great, but it gets a bit repetitive in places.

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
Only thing is... I've been killing the same high-profile wanted guys over and over. They're like Bowser, they keep coming back. Couldn't they have come up with more characters? Thats my only complaint. 3riForce
Montelban or something. You defeat him so many times in one playthrough. At least 4 if you get all of your family
geitenvla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#15 geitenvla
Member since 2006 • 960 Posts

geitenvla - Download it on Steam, its only $10, downloads very fast and I had no problems.

3riForce

Now why would I want to buy a second copy of a game I already own? Besides that, only the installer didn't work properly on Win7, the rest runs pretty well. In the meantime I've tested my version on Vista and XP and it's pretty safe to say that this IS a Win7 problem. I guess they made a different installer for Steam. Too bad there isn't a patch for this... what about costumers support?