So how scary is Amnesia?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

blues35301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 blues35301
Member since 2008 • 2680 Posts

I never played it because the setting didn't interest me as much as Penumbra did. Well Black Plague at least.

What would you rate Amnesia and Black Plague in scaryness on a 1-10 scale?

I'd give BP a 7/10

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts

I never played it because the setting didn't interest me as much as Penumbra did. Well Black Plague at least.

I'd give BP a 7/10

blues35301
Black plague was an 8.5 amensia is a 7.0 On graphics perhaps amensia is better but the dungeons are BORRING and repettive. Perhaps amnesia has better atmosphere but it aint as scary.
blues35301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 blues35301
Member since 2008 • 2680 Posts
[QUOTE="blues35301"]

I'd give BP a 7/10

dakan45
Black plague was an 8.5 amensia is a 7.0 On graphics perhaps amensia is better but the dungeons are BORRING and repettive. Perhaps amnesia has better atmosphere but it aint as scary.

Damn it. See thats what I was afraid off was not being as into the story and atmosphere. I'll wait for some more opinions to roll in.
Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

scariest game i've ever played, but i haven't played Black Plague though.

beats the crap out of Silent Hills and Resident Evils in terms of atmosphere. that's as much as i can tell.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 dakan45
[QUOTE="dakan45"][QUOTE="blues35301"]

I'd give BP a 7/10

blues35301

Damn it. See thats what I was afraid off was not being as into the story and atmosphere. I'll wait for some more opinions to roll in.

No story is better, its just that it does not scare you that much as black plague. Lets just say that its scare tactics are smoke and mirrors in comparison. Example, everytime you pick an item to make progress, a monster appear and comes to your room. But it does not bother to get inside the damn room and check ti. So you just stand behind something and it dissapears. By that i mean dissapears, its nowhere outside the room after a while, you wont run at it accidently. Also it happens all the time.
Jane_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Jane_22
Member since 2011 • 678 Posts

Amnesia is boring in my opinion.

gillri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gillri
Member since 2004 • 5926 Posts

scariest game i've ever played, but i haven't played Black Plague though.

beats the crap out of Silent Hills and Resident Evils in terms of atmosphere. that's as much as i can tell.

groowagon

no way does it did REMake, RE4 and SH2 for atmopshere, your a loon for thinking so

Its very scary but once you understand how the enemies appear it loses its cache a bit, hoever the first couple of hours are the scariest I have had in a videogame I reckon

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dakan45

Amnesia is boring in my opinion.

Jane_22
Me too!! Cant see what everyone is yapping all about.
sexygirl6t9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 sexygirl6t9
Member since 2011 • 237 Posts

Amnesia is one of the best games I have played in the last 4 years or so.

I don't find many games scary at all. But Amensia had some very good 'jump out of your seat' moments. The music and sound effects in general are very good. The story is quite good as well. I give it a 10/10.

The best part of the game is that it has no weapons. The fact that you are defenseless and unable to attack in anyway makes it way scarier. I don't like games labelled super scary, but then have weapons where you can just unload into an enemy that jumps out to you. In Amensia, your choice is to run like hell or die.

For the most part I played the game in the dark. The intersting thing about the game though is if you stay in the dark too long you start to go insane. It's slows you down and you can fall over. Had some really close calls when I encountered a monster and I fell over.

I finished the game with I think about 100+ tinderboxes, 8 things of oil, and 0 deaths. The game didn't take me to long, but I was really into it. One of my friends, who reccomended it to me, took about a month to beat because he was so scared. He used everything he had to light up the rooms.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

For me it comes down to one thing really.

"Do you like Lovecraft?" If so it is good and very atmospheric with awesoe sound and a very wellmade feel to the surroundings.

Is it scary? Almost impossible to say people find different things scary, I never found any RE game scary no silent hill scary and no amnesia scary (Fatal frame was however, and parts of VTM:B). So it is subjective I know alot of people who fond it really scary tho and a few that couldnt keep playing it.

If I had to rate it against the Penumbra games then I would likely rate the Penumbra games a 7.0 and Amnesia an 8.5 I did not find penumbra scary at all really liked the pules and a fairly decent story. I prefer story and atmosphere far more in Amnesia, it IS more tense, and it IS more of a classical horror setting (which Ive been missingfor a long time).

xLittlekillx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 xLittlekillx
Member since 2005 • 1833 Posts

Amnesia was so scary that I couldn't even finish the demo. But it was so impressive that I bought it anyways.

Batang_X990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Batang_X990
Member since 2010 • 939 Posts
loved it. very scary. atmosphere is very intense. contains the most detailed paintings i've ever seen in a game. i'm not a big horror fan, but this was one of the best experience i've had playing a game in recent memory.
ssvegeta555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ssvegeta555
Member since 2003 • 2448 Posts

The most important thing when playing Amnesia you must be in the right frame of mind. It's best when all the lights are off, no distractions in the background, headphones on and your williness to get immersed into the game fully to be scared. The game is easily the scariest thing I've played yet. I had to play in 30 minute to 1 hour chunks at a time, lol.

Novogrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Novogrod
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
How scary is Amnesia? I'll sum it up with: http://youtu.be/wQ4KRpPlmqU
saruman354

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 saruman354
Member since 2004 • 10776 Posts

I haven't played Amnesia yet (it's coming up soon on my list) but I will say that I don't get easily scared. The only game I think has scared me was Dead Space, but that was more of an anxiety thing rather than fear.

Deathykins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Deathykins
Member since 2007 • 1412 Posts

Compared to most horror games: 7/10

Compared to Black Plague: 4/10

snowmanman7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 snowmanman7
Member since 2008 • 182 Posts

Amnesia is the scariest game I have played in a long time. I wasn't man enough to play the game with headphones, even though thats what the developers recommend using lol. I thought it was scarier than the Penumbra games.

carlotheblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 carlotheblue
After reading about how scary it was supposed to be I found Amnesia terribly anti-climactic. Plus the voice-acting is utterly gash, which ruined the story for me somewhat. If you want a real pants-browning experience may I heartily recommend Dead Space - it's been scaring me senseless for the past couple of weeks.
cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

Scariest game I've ever played, I screamed out loud at one point, and couldn't play for more than an hour before I became too paranoid. It is kind of predictable on how the game runs. Monsters appear, roam around for 30 seconds or so then will never be seen again. Didn't prevent the game from being scary as you constantly heard new noises in the background, always making you wonder when something will appear.

If you didn't find it scary then too bad, your loss.

sexygirl6t9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 sexygirl6t9
Member since 2011 • 237 Posts
Amnesia is fantastic. My friend recommended it to me and I got it right away. I beat it before him because he was too scared to continue. I played at least an hour everyday. Story and graphics were up to my standards. The fact that you have no weapons at all makes it scary in my opinion. I don't find any games where you can defend your self scary. Wow something jumps out at you and then you kill it... In Amnesia you have to book it from a monster if you get caught and hide. Then again if you stay in the dark too long you will flop over and that could screw you over if something gets close. I had some close calls but never died the entire game. I give it a 10/10. One of the best games I have played in the past few years. I am going to buy Penumbra. I heard it's awesome.
ampiva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21 ampiva
Member since 2010 • 1251 Posts
Scariest game ever.
ampiva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 ampiva
Member since 2010 • 1251 Posts
[QUOTE="carlotheblue"]After reading about how scary it was supposed to be I found Amnesia terribly anti-climactic. Plus the voice-acting is utterly gash, which ruined the story for me somewhat. If you want a real pants-browning experience may I heartily recommend Dead Space - it's been scaring me senseless for the past couple of weeks.

Really?
carlotheblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 carlotheblue
[QUOTE="ampiva"][QUOTE="carlotheblue"]After reading about how scary it was supposed to be I found Amnesia terribly anti-climactic. Plus the voice-acting is utterly gash, which ruined the story for me somewhat. If you want a real pants-browning experience may I heartily recommend Dead Space - it's been scaring me senseless for the past couple of weeks.

Really?

Aye. In my humble opinion Dead Space (or at least the portion of it I've played so far) is also the better game. That's not to say I didn't enjoy Amnesia - I certainly found it interesting, and I enjoyed playing it, but I kept waiting for something genuinely spine-chilling to happen, you know, a real jump-out-of-your-seat moment, and it never did. It's probably because I read so many reviews of it and built it up too much.
digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#24 digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

Personally I found it to be quite pleasurable. Then again I'm also a big Lovecraft fan, but was it terrifying? Not exactly. But this is coming from a person who isn't scared by the "super natural" very easily. I'd say its worth play that's for sure.

gamer620

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gamer620
Member since 2004 • 3367 Posts
I found it decently frightening, but a lot of that comes from playing the game with stereo surround sound and pitch black darkness. You are not going to enjoy the atmosphere as much playing the game in day light or with your lights on. It is its most effective when played the way a horror game or movie should be viewed.
lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#26 lettuceman44
Member since 2005 • 7971 Posts
I think its scary, while Dead Space isn't. It all depends on what scares you. Amnesia makes me have anxiety. I can never be too careful in that game. The atmosphere, the lack of weapons, the random stuff happening. It just gets me :P Dead Space is more of a, "oh crap, I'm being attacked! Lets shoot those bastards!"
GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

I'd give BP a 7/10

blues35301

THIS MUCH http://youtu.be/loSzpvq73FY

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
Jigglywiggly's mind playing it: HOW DO I BUNNYHOP OMG I CANT GET 0/10 LET ME GO OUTSIDE AND GET MY HTC EVO 4g AND CALL TEH POLIZE o wiat 17th century LET ME mAKE TIME MACHINE As you can see, I played 5 minutes of the game before I called Ramirez to play more hardcore MW2.