SLI is not working with Windows Vista

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Beelzebub646

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Beelzebub646
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I purchased a computer from dell XPS with windows vista home edition and I decided to buy another video card for it. ( another 8800GT ) I also bought a SLI Bridge. But when I activate SLI games don't load right, some games to even open, also an error comes up sometimes that says " Display driver has failed and recovered ". I just reinstaled Vista hoping it would fix the problem, but no. I've tried new mother boards, nothing is working. *This computer was build for SLI from Dell*. But I decided to buy a new card later on.
Both of these cards work great on their own, but when SLI is nothing works. I hope someone can help.

Specs: 2.4Ghz Quad core
700w power supply , 4Gb corsair dominator ram, Two GeForce 8800Gt's 512 DDR3

ey_son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ey_son
Member since 2005 • 246 Posts
did you update your drivers?
zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 zaku101
Member since 2005 • 4641 Posts
I would maybe try running it on XP. I hear SLI works better on XP than Vista. SLI itself is very buggy if you ask me and a waste of money. My friend had two cards running in SLI and they didn't work right.
Beelzebub646

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Beelzebub646
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I have the newest drivers and my motherborad won't support XP, i've tried it already. it's weird, but Dell also told me i couldn't install XP. So yea....
DrewTheSchu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 83

#5 DrewTheSchu
Member since 2003 • 518 Posts

what type of mobo do you have?

I had a similiar problem and for me it turned out I had to update my nForce drivers (not just the card drivers).

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Bebi_vegeta
Member since 2003 • 13558 Posts

I would maybe try running it on XP. I hear SLI works better on XP than Vista. SLI itself is very buggy if you ask me and a waste of money. My friend had two cards running in SLI and they didn't work right.zaku101

SLI works fine and it's performance is excellent.

chadw_genx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 chadw_genx
Member since 2005 • 229 Posts

Do you have all the updates from MS for Vista, like SP 1?  I remembered MS applying a hotfix for SLI and Crossfire setups a while ago, and googled it:  KB936710, that hotfix may or may not be a part of Service Pack 1, I'm not sure..

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts

[QUOTE="zaku101"]I would maybe try running it on XP. I hear SLI works better on XP than Vista. SLI itself is very buggy if you ask me and a waste of money. My friend had two cards running in SLI and they didn't work right.Bebi_vegeta

People with first hand bad experiences and you still can't accept that SLI aint it all cracked up to be. :) TC are you sure you have a SLI chipset?
Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Bebi_vegeta
Member since 2003 • 13558 Posts
[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="zaku101"]I would maybe try running it on XP. I hear SLI works better on XP than Vista. SLI itself is very buggy if you ask me and a waste of money. My friend had two cards running in SLI and they didn't work right.X360PS3AMD05

People with first hand bad experiences and you still can't accept that SLI aint it all cracked up to be. :) TC are you sure you have a SLI chipset?

Even benchmark prove that SLI has good performance today.

DrewTheSchu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 83

#10 DrewTheSchu
Member since 2003 • 518 Posts

Dell is your problem. They use proprietary components (like hard drives, mobos, etc) to cut costs but ends up hindering your component upgrade abilities and can cause component conflicts like you are having now.

Future reference, build your next computer or at least purchase from a company with a solid rep that allows you to select each individual component (motherboard, power supply, case, etc) and do research on each and every component before you select it. Trust me, it'll end up being cheaper than dell and a hell of a lot faster.