single GPU or SLI??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

walshmaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 walshmaine
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
I know this is properly an age old question but I'll ask it again anyway:
Would it be better to run an SLI system now (high-end GPUs), so up-grading wouldn't be required for a couple of years (maybe 3 years)
or
Get a single, high end GPU now and up-grade on a frequent basis, say every year?
things to note:1; who cares whether current games can't/dont need an SLI system to run, this is all about practicality.2; cost isn't a factor (this is a hypothetical question).3; serious opinions please :)
thanks
handag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 handag
Member since 2006 • 449 Posts

Just get a high end GPU then upgrade after about 3 years....SLI is just a waist of Money Right now.

Ocelotpoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Ocelotpoo
Member since 2005 • 166 Posts
If you are just looking for practicality and money isn't a factor, it would make more sense to buy a new high-end GPU every year. Chances are, you could also just not upgrade regularly and spend a year or two playing games with the settings turned down a bit. Keep in mind, there are very few games that can't be run on high settings with a 7900 GPU despite the fact that the 8 series has been available for some time. In my opinion, SLI is never a necessity and is really only needed for a user who really wants to take performance to the next level.
Nyx-Risa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Nyx-Risa
Member since 2007 • 100 Posts

Hypothetically speaking if cost was not an issue then you could buy two of the best SLI cards every time a new one comes out.

Practically speaking it would be best just to buy a high end card every year. Why? Because just about every game made can run on maximum settings with the latest Graphics Card. If you always have the latest Graphics Card then other factors will contribute more to your game performance ratings such as CPU speed, HDD speed etc.

As I have said before, 2 Graphics Cards != 2X performance. On most benchmark scales, it's about equal to 1.5X performance.

Summary: If you can already run games on maximum settings on the latest card then you don't need a second graphics card.

General_Gustaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 General_Gustaf
Member since 2004 • 279 Posts
In some benchmarks, a Single 2900 beats an SLi 8800, so i'd reccomend a single core GPU for the moment.
walshmaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 walshmaine
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
Thanks everyone, great stuffSomething for me to think about
Lompir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Lompir
Member since 2004 • 158 Posts

Imo is that when your gonna SLi, you must buy like 2 of the best cards on the market, or its a waist of money,

but if you cant afford it, just buy a single GPU. and btw many of the newer games arent that demanding so you dont

really need Sli, but its a plus. 

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#8 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts

For what it's worth, each new generation of GPU seems to see bigger and bigger SLi performance improvements.

It seems with each new generation of GPU that nVidia makes, they are ever inching closer to achieving the theoretical "2x the performance" output that such a system would theoretically give you. But of course this difference is much larger if you start with some high-end GPU's to begin with.

One thing that SLi also grants you is the ability to keep your hardware running when you sell a part to try and save up for an upgrade. Example...

Say around launch, I bought a pair of 7900's for SLi. Now a few years later, I find the 8800's drool-worthy. I can sell one of the cards to build up my money and help me get an 8800, while still having the other 7900 to keep my computer working.  Then once that one is sold and I have one 8800, I can then sell the other 7900 and get the second 8800 for SLi.

Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts
It's really a question of does it make sense....if you have one card getting you 78fps on a game do you really need another card to get you to 90?  Unless you are trying to wow people with your sweet setup then there really isn't much of a reason.