Single Core processor

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lovenomore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 lovenomore
Member since 2005 • 326 Posts
im wondering if any one can recommend any single core processor good for gameing thats in the range of 100-150 dollars.....please dont waste my time telling me that i can probably spend a bit more to get a dual core processor
Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#2 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts
You can get a dual core CPU for less than 100 bucks if you've got an AM2 socket...what socket mobo are you using? What country do you hail from? (Such that newegg may or may not be used as a reference...)
Kodai_kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Kodai_kun
Member since 2005 • 1413 Posts
What socket and motherboard do you have?
Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Staryoshi87

e.g. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103733

lovenomore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lovenomore
dude i seriously dont give a **** hate when I ask a question like this and ppl automatically r like u can get a dual core cheap.........idc nor will I for a while.....and im using socket 775.........but I plan on gettin an new mother board......but wont decide on which socket until I decide on the processor to get
lovenomore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lovenomore
my motherboard currently is an ecs one and its a total piece of crap........I plan on getting a new one when I get a processor but I cant decide on the mb or the socket till I decide on a processor but basically I want something better than my 2.6 ghz pentium 4
Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Staryoshi87

So in otherwords you're giving us very little information to help you make a fiscally ill-advised buying decision, huh? We're only apprentice mind-readers, and I can't in good faith recommend a single core cpu when duals are just as cheep...I wouldn't recommend a non-c2d cpu for 775 or a x2 for Am2 myself :) Also, where are you located? That way we have a frame of reference for prices, etc.

lovenomore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lovenomore
so in a nutshell I dont care what socket the processor is as long as its better than my current 2.6 ghz pentium 4 and as long as its not a dual core processor
lovenomore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lovenomore
dual core processors are pointless when playing games since the vast majority of games havent utilized dual core technology plus the only time id want a dual core processor if I were running buttloads of apps all at once but I dont
Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Staryoshi87

Your answer is as simple as this if you can work a web browser -_- http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2%2050001157%2040000343%201051707842%201389627502%201302820276&bop=And&Order=PRICE

Pure_Awesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 Pure_Awesome
Member since 2006 • 1684 Posts

dual core processors are pointless when playing games since the vast majority of games havent utilized dual core technology plus the only time id want a dual core processor if I were running buttloads of apps all at once but I dontlovenomore

uhhh...... oook then... have fun then....  boy your gunna feel silly when you buy a dual core in a year or 2, and realise the potential you could have had. 

Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Staryoshi87

P4's are thermonuclear dead-ends now, though....as I know from experience.

Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Staryoshi87

[QUOTE="lovenomore]dual core processors are pointless when playing games since the vast majority of games havent utilized dual core technology plus the only time id want a dual core processor if I were running buttloads of apps all at once but I dont

Except for all the games that DO use it...e.g. CoD2 had a dual core update a while back....

Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Staryoshi87

its almost a conspiracy......all u **** nerds claiming dual core is the **** when in reality it cant so **** for me now since all I do is use the pc for gameing and nothign more and the games I play dont even use ur godforsaken dual core technologly......so take ur goddamn dual core related agenda and blow it out ur ass......goddamnlovenomore

Not saying single core cpus aren't functional, but you wont notice an appreciable difference from what you've got now. It's just ill-advised to go that route unless you look forward to upgrading again in the near future or lagging behind...literally. But as per your request I've provided you with a link that will help. My only "agenda" is to support the best tech...but if you wanna take 1 step backward followed by 2 more backward, I'm not gonna stop ya! :)

Infinite-Zr0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Infinite-Zr0
Member since 2003 • 13284 Posts
Somebody hates technology lol Damn hippies, Take a shower already!
SoberWarock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 SoberWarock
Member since 2005 • 3086 Posts

You can get a dual core CPU for less than 100 bucks if you've got an AM2 socket...what socket mobo are you using? What country do you hail from? (Such that newegg may or may not be used as a reference...)Staryoshi87

Yeah you can get a dual core, you could like get an AMD X2 4600+

neodragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 neodragon
Member since 2003 • 1593 Posts

Wow, I didn't know they still made downright ornery people.

Read some gad damn reviews and provide me a link where a cheaper single core processor beats a more expensive dual core processor.

Go.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ef6a3ad2935
deactivated-57ef6a3ad2935

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-57ef6a3ad2935
Member since 2004 • 5346 Posts

dual core processors are pointless when playing games since the vast majority of games havent utilized dual core technology plus the only time id want a dual core processor if I were running buttloads of apps all at once but I dontlovenomore

That's not how a dual core processor works. 

gdogg4210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gdogg4210
Member since 2003 • 2925 Posts

Somebody hates technology lol Damn hippies, Take a shower already!Infinite-Zr0

Hey we shower, it might not be like everyday but we try not to cause discomfort to those around us...but a dual core processor consipiracy yeah even i consider that kinda extreem

blkgto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#21 blkgto
Member since 2005 • 811 Posts
I like how pissed your getting at ppl who know more then you and you are acting like they don't know a damn thing.  Don't ask a question and then get all pissed off when someone gives you an answer.  Nobody cares that your computer sucks.  Stick with your garbage single core processor, and quit whining and wasting ppls time. 
gdogg4210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 gdogg4210
Member since 2003 • 2925 Posts
This has to be the funniest thing i have read all day
imrlybord7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 imrlybord7
Member since 2005 • 5009 Posts
@ the tc: you are right. dual core doesn't matter. But architecture DOES jackass. Current intel single cores suck because the architecture sucks, not because they are single core You said you wanted socket lga 775 single core that is better than a pentium 4? there is none. Intel has not made any new single cores. go to www.tomshardware.com and go to cpu charts. Compare a core 2 duo e6400 to the pentium 4 extreme, which is one of your precious little single cores. And for anyone about to criticize the site, it is just the vga charts that suck.
littlehelp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 littlehelp
Member since 2004 • 1264 Posts

[QUOTE="lovenomore"]dual core processors are pointless when playing games since the vast majority of games havent utilized dual core technology plus the only time id want a dual core processor if I were running buttloads of apps all at once but I dontWesker776

You're gonna look like the biggest ass when you're only getting 5FPS in Command & Conquer/Supreme Commander--Oh wait you're already one. :lol:

Even a fricken piece of crap 2.8GHz Pentium D is better than a single core CPU.

Learn how multicore technology works and listen to other people's advice before you make an out of yourself again!

Awesome. :)

jjjhsmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jjjhsmith
Member since 2003 • 799 Posts
Yeah, coming here asking for help with an attitude like that wont get you very much good advice.  There is no reason to go with a single core processor when you can get a dual core for the same price.  You might as well learn the fact now that expensive, although worthwhile hobby.  Anyway, go read some reviews, look up benchmarks, and while you are waiting, save up some money so you dont blow it on a soon to be obsolete single core CPU. 
Cyborg-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 Cyborg-21
Member since 2007 • 2700 Posts

@ the tc: you are right. dual core doesn't matter. But architecture DOES jackass. Current intel single cores suck because the architecture sucks, not because they are single core You said you wanted socket lga 775 single core that is better than a pentium 4? there is none. Intel has not made any new single cores. go to www.tomshardware.com and go to cpu charts. Compare a core 2 duo e6400 to the pentium 4 extreme, which is one of your precious little single cores. And for anyone about to criticize the site, it is just the vga charts that suck.imrlybord7

Good point. Also, the manufacturing process of old single-core chips contributes to them producing much more heat than dual core chips, drawing more power than dual-core CPUs, having to have larger HSFs, and all this contributes to a proable lower lifespan.

muppet1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 muppet1010
Member since 2006 • 5812 Posts

[QUOTE="lovenomore"]dual core processors are pointless when playing games since the vast majority of games havent utilized dual core technology plus the only time id want a dual core processor if I were running buttloads of apps all at once but I dontWesker776

You're gonna look like the biggest ass when you're only getting 5FPS in Command & Conquer/Supreme Commander--Oh wait you're already one. :lol:

Learn how multicore technology works and listen to other people's advice before you make an ass out of yourself again!

no its not, you can overclock certain P4's to 7GHZ. I personally feel that a 7GHZ P4 would kick the crap out of a Pentium D processor????

Anyway that guy should get banned cause he is a dick-head comes here asking for help, then starts mouthing off as soon as people give him good advice. And as for 'dual cores are part of a conspiracy' well he's an idiot.

Cyborg-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Cyborg-21
Member since 2007 • 2700 Posts
One of my friend's has overclocked a Pentium 4 to 6.5 Ghz when the stock speed was 3Ghz - using liquid nitrogen !
blacktorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31 blacktorn
Member since 2004 • 8299 Posts
Get the 3.2 GHZ Pentium 4 With HT,it should be compatible with your current motherboard.
mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts

im wondering if any one can recommend any single core processor good for gameing thats in the range of 100-150 dollars.....please dont waste my time telling me that i can probably spend a bit more to get a dual core processorlovenomore

dude you can get a dual core processor and a mobo for less than 150 bucks why would you want only single core thats so stupid go for a amd x2 3800+ or maybe a 4200+ don't get a single core unless you want to play older games

zvgzdhfhffr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 zvgzdhfhffr
Member since 2007 • 276 Posts

Dude i don't know why your whining so much,exspecialy when theres people trying to help you.Im just gonna tell you a little story,ok up intell about 5 mounths ago i was still using a win 98(to game!)that even back in 98 was bottom of the line,and you want to know what i upgraded to,a computer that is still bottom of the line,my current computer is an E machines with xp,1gb ram,intel celuron d processor,160gb hard drive,have no clue what my mother board is,and ati readon xpress 200 graphics card.It is so sad,i can STILL watch my ps2 outrun my pc.But i aint complaining,im just happy i have a pc.

And also from what ive heard 2 core processors are a whole lot better than a single core by a longshot.And from my experience with a single core,i suggest you upgrade to a dule core proccesor.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

its almost a conspiracy......all u **** nerds claiming dual core is the **** when in reality it cant so **** for me now since all I do is use the pc for gameing and nothign more and the games I play dont even use ur godforsaken dual core technologly......so take ur goddamn dual core related agenda and blow it out ur ass......goddamnlovenomore

no respect. no help. please leave. 

jjjhsmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jjjhsmith
Member since 2003 • 799 Posts

From the Alan Wake FAQ

What kind of specs will the PC need to run Alan Wake?

Nothing is certain about the specifications but you will need Windows Vista and a fairly high spec PC. Remedy have showcased Alan Wake running smoothly on an Intel Core 2 Quad system overclocked at 3.73Ghz with a GeForce 7900GTX.

Markus from Remedy has said "Alan Wake would pretty much not run on any single core processors, although it may be possible to run on single-core Pentium 4 processors with Hyper Threading enabled, with noticably reduced image quality/experience."

The game will use a separate processing thread dedicated to physical calculations. Since Remedy is using Havok, there is no support for Ageia PhysX cards, so all the physical calculations are done using the CPU. Markus has explained that a normal Core 2 Quad will use 80% of one core for physical calculations.
-----------

Soooo, Alan Wake coming out next year and you still want to get a single core...hmmmm.

Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Staryoshi87
Great find jjjhsmith.
diemensioncorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 diemensioncorp
Member since 2005 • 254 Posts

this was the fastest single core processor I could find

onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 onemic
Member since 2003 • 5616 Posts
[QUOTE="Wesker776"]

[QUOTE="lovenomore"]dual core processors are pointless when playing games since the vast majority of games havent utilized dual core technology plus the only time id want a dual core processor if I were running buttloads of apps all at once but I dontmuppet1010

Learn how multicore technology works and listen to other people's advice before you make an ass out of yourself again!

no its not, you can overclock certain P4's to 7GHZ. I personally feel that a 7GHZ P4 would kick the crap out of a Pentium D processor????

Anyway that guy should get banned cause he is a dick-head comes here asking for help, then starts mouthing off as soon as people give him good advice. And as for 'dual cores are part of a conspiracy' well he's an idiot.

You do know to that you need to use liquid nitrogen? Which I'm pretty sure the tc won't be willing to use.  

Axed54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Axed54
Member since 2006 • 2963 Posts
Just maybe you should cut down your caffeine intake.
Cozzie_92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Cozzie_92
Member since 2007 • 193 Posts

Just maybe you should cut down your caffeine intake.Axed54

lol, too much fizzy drink :P

Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts
they are beginning to.
Wesker776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Wesker776
Member since 2005 • 7004 Posts
[QUOTE="Wesker776"]

[QUOTE="lovenomore"]dual core processors are pointless when playing games since the vast majority of games havent utilized dual core technology plus the only time id want a dual core processor if I were running buttloads of apps all at once but I dontmuppet1010

Presler (Pentium D 900) can reach 8GHz with liquid nitrogen? Is that practical? No way.

Besides, a STOCK X6800 or QX6800 could probably outperform an 8GHz Pentium 4/D anyway. :/ 

8adk1d_16yo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#44 8adk1d_16yo
Member since 2006 • 400 Posts
ummmm, you guys noticed he hasnt replied so evryones saying stuff and i dont think hes coming back to this thread....he hasnt responded for 1 1/2 pages or so
Platearmor_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Platearmor_6
Member since 2004 • 2817 Posts
Basic answer is: Just get a P4 you can get a 3GHz P4 with a 2MB Cache for as little as £40. So if you have the money and really want a single core then you could get the 3.4GHz P4. I agree with others that about now is the time for dual core but if you really want a single core than the P4 is definetaly it.
DirkVDV01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DirkVDV01
Member since 2004 • 20155 Posts
To all: This is an example of how it should NOT be done. If any poster just starts to flame, please report this to a moderator and ignore the post. Some have given replies that are considered flaming. In case of doubt: re-read the Terms of Use. Thank you. :)