shutting off problem

This topic is locked from further discussion.

icemoney07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 icemoney07
Member since 2007 • 93 Posts
im building my first computer and i get it running for about 3o seconds and then it shut off by itself i know it i not the psu i changed it and what else could this be is it possible for a mobo to start up and still be bad because i plug my fans into the fan slot on the mobo and they do not work but my cpu fan slot works please let me know if u have expierenced this as welll and what should i do to solve it
Raz0redge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Raz0redge
Member since 2004 • 1796 Posts
How many watts is your PSU rated for? How many peripherals do you have?
icemoney07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 icemoney07
i have a corsair 620 watt psu i have an 8800gts msi corsair 2 gb 800 dd2 memory a 2 120 mm fans 1 90 mm fan a zalman red orb cpu cooler a 250gb hard drive a dvd drive and a dvd burner drive and thats it
Raz0redge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Raz0redge
620 watts should be enough to drive all of those and a lot more.. Does the machine start up every time for about 30 seconds, or has it only done it once? Shutting down after a short period of time repeatedly could signal a short or something.. Any beeps or other indications of errors? Do you get far enough in the boot up for POST to at least run and find all the memory? Try resetting the CMOS on the Mobo to factory defaults and see if that does anything for you.. If all of those fail..then the safest way of determining the problem is to unplug all but the most essential devices and see if things work and then plug in one device after another and try again..rinse and repeat as they say.. Good luck..
icemoney07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 icemoney07
yes it stars up for 30 seconds everytime and it beeps once then runs about 10 seconds it shuts off
Raz0redge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Raz0redge
Hmm..one beep isn't enough. Error codes are usually multiple beeps..most PCs beep once when starting up anyway. Do you get any video output or POST information?
icemoney07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 icemoney07
no i unplugged every cable and guess what i had a short in a usb cable on top pf my machine now it works fine but now im having hard drive problems because im installing windows and it says hard drive is not found setup cannot continue all i have is the hard drive plugged in from the power source its a sata hard drive and ai got one plugged in from the power supply too am i misssing anything im doing wrong
Raz0redge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Raz0redge
Ahh OK..so it was a short indeed..good to hear.. Now first thing first..does your BIOS recognize the SATA harddrive? Also does it see the full size? What version of Windows are you using? What mobo do you have, so we can check to see if the SATA controller on there is supported by Windows..
icemoney07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 icemoney07
no my bios does not recognize the sata hardrive and the version of windoes im u sing is xp version 2002 and i have an asus 650i sli plus mobo
Raz0redge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Raz0redge
Hmm that's not good..have you tried updating the BIOS? I actually just ordered a new ASUS 650i SLI Mobo and a couple of SATA drives myself, so I'd be very curious to see if you get this working..
biosc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 biosc1
Member since 2003 • 1144 Posts
You neeed a bios upgrade, me thinks. Another thing to think about is that when the OS install is starting up, you'll see a prompt for installing 3rd party drivers, which you can use to install the sATA drivers. Though, it's been awhile since I've had to do that so I can't be 100% on it.

Though, I find it funny that your bios doesn't recognize your sATA ports? Are they built in? Or did you install an adapter card?

icemoney07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 icemoney07
the sata drives are built in on the mobo and ive tried to install 3rd party drivers what disk do i enter because ive tried entering the mobo disk and that doesnt work and my hard drive doesnt have anyhting to install i got it hooked up from the psu sata plug should i plug a sata cord from the psu in to the sata port and then run the slave offfthat too the hard drive or do i have it hooked up right and how do u update bios without a floppy drive
Raz0redge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Raz0redge
Now..you HAVE enabled the SATA controllers in the BIOS right? They are disabled by default..by default the IDE connectors are enabled.
icemoney07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 icemoney07
yah i have the sata controllers enabled im just going to start over and let u know if i still have touble and 1 more question when u get the flash drive u download the latest bios and then put it in the new computer right and what drive would u load from it
Raz0redge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Raz0redge
The manual suggests that putting the USB drive with the new BIOS into the PC is enough for it to know what to do. Regardless, when you get into the update software, if the USB drive is plugged in, it should find it and allow you to load the files from it.. I expect to do all of this over this weekend, so I can't be exact with my info..
doomsdaydave11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#16 doomsdaydave11
Member since 2006 • 1159 Posts
I had that same problem. It was the mobo.
Raz0redge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Raz0redge
I had that same problem. It was the mobo.doomsdaydave11
Could you elaborate more so that the TC and myself (who have the same mobo) can benefit..
doomsdaydave11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#18 doomsdaydave11
Member since 2006 • 1159 Posts

[QUOTE="doomsdaydave11"]I had that same problem. It was the mobo.Raz0redge
Could you elaborate more so that the TC and myself (who have the same mobo) can benefit..

nvm. it was some crap generic dell mobo from 2000 :D 

icemoney07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 icemoney07
is it only possible for half of ur mobo to work because i tried plugging in the computer fans and the only slot that works is the cpu fan would this be a problem because the sata controller on the mobo is on the bottom half that doesnt work so therefore not recognizing it at all
Raz0redge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Raz0redge
I built my computer over the weekend, and everything I put in (2GB ram, 2 320GB SATA HDs) were recognized and I installed Linux and WinXP on there with no problems. Not sure how only part of the Mobo could be broken, not sure if the SATA controller is a chip or something. There is also the PATA IDE controllers right near the SATA controller, so if you have a regular IDE HD or CD-ROM, plug that in and see what happens..
biosc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 biosc1
Member since 2003 • 1144 Posts
Silly question, but you did plug a power plug into the hard drives, right?
ncderek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 ncderek
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts
flip the cmos, make sure eveyrthing is plugged in right, also divide the power cords so that its not one cord from the psu going to  a bunch of parts, ahve one cord go to each part, use up all the rails on the psu