Should I try to assemble my PC myself?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

InternetSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 InternetSwag
Member since 2011 • 213 Posts

So far I've done what most people have, taken out and put in graphics cards. Taken off/put back on the fan/heatsink on my CPU, have put lube on before. I've also taken out CD/DVD roms, harddrives before as well as RAM etc etc.

That's just basically to tell you that I can use a screwdriver and I can plug stuff in.

The only thing I've never literally put in myself is a motherboard into a box. Do you think I could do it? Can't be that hard, most likely only the wires will piss me off.

metacritical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 metacritical
Member since 2008 • 2537 Posts
yes you should, the worst bit is connecting the cables on the case to the motherboard, so the power and reset button work, other than that it's simple.
Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

The only thing you really need to remember when installing the motherboard is to install the stand-off screws first, or you'll get into all sorts of problems with short-circuiting.

Other than that, it's a cinch. If in doubt, just follow the instruction manual that comes with your motherboard, it pretty much tells you how to build a PC from scratch. (Well, ASUS ones do. I presume others do too)

I was pretty much at the same level of ability as you when I built my first PC and things went very smoothly. I was surprised how easy it was.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16587 Posts

The only thing you really need to remember when installing the motherboard is to install the stand-off screws first, or you'll get into all sorts of problems with short-circuiting.

Other than that, it's a cinch. If in doubt, just follow the instruction manual that comes with your motherboard, it pretty much tells you how to build a PC from scratch. (Well, ASUS ones do. I presume others do too)

I was pretty much at the same level of ability as you when I built my first PC and things went very smoothly. I was surprised how easy it was.

broken_bass_bin

some cases already come with built in stand off screws.

valium88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 valium88
Member since 2006 • 4455 Posts

Try doing it by your self but it's nice to have someone around that can verify your doing things right. This way you'll be doing it on your own but without the risk of ruining something. I needed some help with the wiring, other than that I managed on my own. Great experience building a computer.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

1st thing I always do, never install in the case first. I just use the foam stuff to make sure everything fires up, then I stick it in the case.

Creative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 Creative
Member since 2002 • 2522 Posts

So far I've done what most people have, taken out and put in graphics cards. Taken off/put back on the fan/heatsink on my CPU, have put lube on before. I've also taken out CD/DVD roms, harddrives before as well as RAM etc etc.

That's just basically to tell you that I can use a screwdriver and I can plug stuff in.

The only thing I've never literally put in myself is a motherboard into a box. Do you think I could do it? Can't be that hard, most likely only the wires will piss me off.

InternetSwag
I don't want to discourage you from building your first system, but actual "assembly" part is the easiest. First you have to buy proper components that will work with each other. I recently got ASUS motherboard that has host of issues (would not boot from sleep, double post, etc.) I rushed into it, but that could have been avoided if I did proper research online. If your PSU sits in bottom of case, make sure its CPU power cable is long enough to reach CPU connector on top. Get modular PSU to get rid of unnecessary cables inside of case. You have to think about system that will be future-proof and open for additional upgrades in few years (PSU that can handle 2nd card down the line, mobo that can support SLI, etc). Wire management is one thing that new system builders overlook. The idea is to make sure that you route most (if not all) wires behind the motherboard. Most of good cases come with special compartment for that. If you just connect everything inside of case, it will be a giant mess and will restrict the air flow. Finally, I never had a new system start up properly after build. Usually it takes at least 30-90 minutes to troubleshoot the system and figure out why it won't boot. Can be a loose connector on mobo, wrong boot order in BIOS and the most dreaded is faulty piece of hardware. It takes A LONG time to track down that broken mobo or stick of RAM. During my first system build mobo was broken. After several hours of trying to revive it, I had to RMA it and in process disassemble the whole PC. Again, I am not trying to discourage you. Building your PC is very engaging, you get to pick proper case, manage the cables properly, etc. But if you jump into it thinking it's LEGO for adults, where you snap few components and it's ready, you're fooling yourself.
GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GTR12

@Creative, uhhh what?

Lego for adults?So I was an adult when I was 6yrs old and built a PC?

Building is the easiest thing ever, all the parts now are "idiot-proof" you CANT go wrong. Theres also a million guides on the net, youtube and even Gamespot right here, look at the sticky to build a PC.

Also if you assemble outside the case the first time, and make sure everything works, there are only 2 things that can go wrong when putting in a case, it shorts out (no harm done if you build on wood, floor etc) and a wire not plugged in right or the person building accidentally bumping it.

Creative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 Creative
Member since 2002 • 2522 Posts

@Creative, uhhh what?

Building is the easiest thing ever, all the parts now are "idiot-proof" you CANT go wrong. Theres also a million guides on the net, youtube and even Gamespot right here, look at the sticky to build a PC.

Also if you assemble outside the case the first time, and make sure everything works, there are only 2 things that can go wrong when putting in a case, it shorts out (no harm done if you build on wood, floor etc) and a wire not plugged in right or the person building accidentally bumping it.

GTR12
Not to start the war here, i quickly glanced through the GS guide and from what I saw it goes something like: buy these components, stick em inside case and have a LAN party. Unfortunately quality control on most of the hardware these days is pretty bad, new PC has dozen or so components that might be and most likely WILL be faulty. Hardware compatabilty is another concern. Will this RAM block my aftermarket cooler? Is this case big enough to house the video card? I did not realize that my system will sound like prop plane, no one mentioned to me that having 10 fans inside of case might cause excessive noise. Yes, these days it's easier to build a new system from ground up than 5-10 years ago, but it still takes some technical knowledge and preparation.
Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16587 Posts

[QUOTE="GTR12"]

@Creative, uhhh what?

Creative

Not to start the war here, i quickly glanced through the GS guide and from what I saw it goes something like: buy these components, stick em inside case and have a LAN party. Unfortunately quality control on most of the hardware these days is pretty bad, new PC has dozen or so components that might be and most likely WILL be faulty. Hardware compatabilty is another concern. Will this RAM block my aftermarket cooler? Is this case big enough to house the video card? I did not realize that my system will sound like prop plane, no one mentioned to me that having 10 fans inside of case might cause excessive noise. Yes, these days it's easier to build a new system from ground up than 5-10 years ago, but it still takes some technical knowledge and preparation.

thats true sometimes there is a part that is faulty, most of the time its the ram. And also you're over exaggerating the failure rate, the chances of a part being DOA is around max 10%

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts

thats true sometimes there is a part that is faulty, most of the time its the ram. And also you're over exaggerating the failure rate, the chances of a part being DOA is around max 10%

blaznwiipspman1
Less than that IIRC. something like 5% which is far less than the consoles.
FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FPSfan1985
Member since 2011 • 2174 Posts
Do or Do not. There is no try. I say Do.
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts

Go for it - if you can take components out one by one and put them back, it really isn't much different to building it all together in one go.

You do need to work out what components you want in your build, but you always have forums like this to post up a list of parts and let others reply with comments suggesting upgrades or anything you might have missed. If you buy a case it will usually come with all the stand-off and other screws you will need, while the motherboard will likely come with an abundance of SATA and other cables to connect up everything.

The actual assembly really is quite simple as for most components there is only one place and one way round they will fit.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

[QUOTE="InternetSwag"]

Creative

I don't want to discourage you from building your first system, but actual "assembly" part is the easiest. First you have to buy proper components that will work with each other. I recently got ASUS motherboard that has host of issues (would not boot from sleep, double post, etc.) I rushed into it, but that could have been avoided if I did proper research online. If your PSU sits in bottom of case, make sure its CPU power cable is long enough to reach CPU connector on top. Get modular PSU to get rid of unnecessary cables inside of case. You have to think about system that will be future-proof and open for additional upgrades in few years (PSU that can handle 2nd card down the line, mobo that can support SLI, etc). Wire management is one thing that new system builders overlook. The idea is to make sure that you route most (if not all) wires behind the motherboard. Most of good cases come with special compartment for that. If you just connect everything inside of case, it will be a giant mess and will restrict the air flow. Finally, I never had a new system start up properly after build. Usually it takes at least 30-90 minutes to troubleshoot the system and figure out why it won't boot. Can be a loose connector on mobo, wrong boot order in BIOS and the most dreaded is faulty piece of hardware. It takes A LONG time to track down that broken mobo or stick of RAM. During my first system build mobo was broken. After several hours of trying to revive it, I had to RMA it and in process disassemble the whole PC. Again, I am not trying to discourage you. Building your PC is very engaging, you get to pick proper case, manage the cables properly, etc. But if you jump into it thinking it's LEGO for adults, where you snap few components and it's ready, you're fooling yourself.

I do have the time to put into research and building a PC and finding the best prices and such, hence why I am now willing to buy separate parts instead of customizing a PC and having an online retailer build it for me, but this is making me think otherwise again.

Jetset314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 Jetset314
Member since 2011 • 234 Posts

Do it! There are tons of walk throughs online, and it is a really big puzzle with large pieces. It is good knowledge to have as well. Be careful, and do not try to force compnents in. There are some that will need to be gently pushed into its slot, but if you have to get too rough you might be doing it wrong. If it doesn't fit, it normally means it is not supposed to :).

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#16 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4401 Posts
"Do or do not. There is no try."
fishing666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 fishing666
Member since 2004 • 2113 Posts
hardest part is installing the cpu heatsink + thermal paste the other hard part is cabling and fan customizing
gem98088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gem98088
Member since 2011 • 542 Posts
hardest part is installing the cpu heatsink + thermal paste the other hard part is cabling and fan customizingfishing666
Dont most AMD cpu's now come with pre apllied paste?
GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GTR12

[QUOTE="fishing666"]hardest part is installing the cpu heatsink + thermal paste the other hard part is cabling and fan customizinggem98088
Dont most AMD cpu's now come with pre apllied paste?

Even if they do, who cares...

Can you put glue on a piece of paper? If you can, this paste is the same thing.

Diwashb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Diwashb
Member since 2008 • 519 Posts

Search for "how to build a computer video part1/part2/part3 "" on youtube.......its good and will help you even with the connections...... :-D Happy building.

Bigsteve3570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Bigsteve3570
Member since 2009 • 975 Posts
There are tons of guides on the web. It really is pretty damn easy. You'll run into little issue if you install each part correctly. Most people can screw up RAM placement and think they fried their computer :P.
InternetSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 InternetSwag
Member since 2011 • 213 Posts

Thanks guys :) You have motivated me.

I will DO it. :D