Should I swicth to Windows 10?

• 75 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

I'm going to be honest, there is pretty much a 0% chance that someone here will convince me of switching to Windows 10 (switching to Windows 8 caused me enough anxiety). But I would like to hear about your own experiences and reasons for switching. Keep in mind that I'm just a lay user not a geek (using that term in a good way) by any means.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

yes you should.

digitm64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 5

#3 digitm64
Member since 2013 • 470 Posts

Switched to the final release of Windows 10 on the weekend and have had no probs. Noticed an increase in performance with startup and opening apps, and games seem a tiny bit quicker. No crashes on all 3x machines that are now running it.
I run Mediabrowser server on my media server and did notice issues in MS Edge with the Mediabrowser WebUI though. Opening it in IE wasn't an issue though.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Don't see why you would. The xbox app by default has forced vsync on for all programs, you can turn it off, but it's annoying. Like Windows 8, you cannot turn DWM off. So if you play in windowed mode/boarderless for games you will have 1 frame of extra input lag. Windows 7 in classic mode does not have this, it uses your cpu to render. The control panel is a lot less intuitive, add or remove programs is a lot worse, sorting by something like date modified requires several extra clicks. The whole start menu just looks like the metro tiles but shrunken down. You cannot turn Windows Update off. It is forced on and you cannot turn it off. The OS hides more notifications on what its doing like a virus scan by default. It's not in the notification tray.

Virtualbox still doesn't work as far as I know.

Basically, if you want a crap version of Win7, then by all means.

Also I tried it on a machine with 4 gigs of ram, and it was much slower than Win7 and Win8. I used every os back to back.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@Master_Live said:

I'm going to be honest, there is pretty much a 0% chance that someone here will convince me of switching to Windows 10 (switching to Windows 8 caused me enough anxiety). But I would like to hear about your own experiences and reasons for switching. Keep in mind that I'm just a lay user not a geek (using that term in a good way) by any means.

- Should I switch to Win10?

- 0% chance that someone here will convince me of switching to Windows 10

Makes sense......

Depends if you want the new features or not.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

@Master_Live said:

Because windows 7 was amazing, windows 8 was awful and Microsoft OS releases alternate between great and awful.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FelipeInside

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

The whole start menu just looks like the metro tiles but shrunken down. - You can turn it off

You cannot turn Windows Update off. It is forced on and you cannot turn it off. - Only on Home Edition but I'm pretty sure there are ways to turn it off (like disabling the service)

The OS hides more notifications on what its doing like a virus scan by default. It's not in the notification tray. - You can turn notifications on

Virtualbox still doesn't work as far as I know. - Not on the preview versions but I believe it's fixed on the final one

Basically, if you want a crap version of Win7, then by all means. - Crap because it's faster with more features?

Don't spread wrong info if you don't know all the details mate :)

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@FelipeInside said:
@Master_Live said:

Makes sense......[Stop bringing logic to this!]

Are you switching? Which feature would you say is a game changer?

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Only reason I could imagine is if it was a convenient time for you to do a system wipe. Then when Windows 8 is less pewpy, you don't have to switch over at a time it's less convenient. And let's be realistic - you aren't skipping 8.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FelipeInside

@Master_Live said:
@FelipeInside said:
@Master_Live said:

Makes sense......[Stop bringing logic to this!]

Are you switching? Which feature would you say is a game changer?

I've signed up for the license since it's free (free is good, lol), but I won't switch over for at least 6 months. I never do with new OS. I wait till they have a few patches out and make sure everything works with the things I use.

As for features, I like how they have merged the best parts of Win7 with Win8, with auto-switching of the new menu depending if you're on a tablet or desktop. The unifying syncing functionality has also been improved and the OS feels like a smoother faster Win8 (which was already faster than Win7).

There's also the thing that MS have said that this will be "like" the last Windows, with constant updates acting as a service. (have to wait and see if that's true).

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JigglyWiggly_

@FelipeInside said:
@JigglyWiggly_ said:

The whole start menu just looks like the metro tiles but shrunken down. - You can turn it off

You cannot turn Windows Update off. It is forced on and you cannot turn it off. - Only on Home Edition but I'm pretty sure there are ways to turn it off (like disabling the service)

The OS hides more notifications on what its doing like a virus scan by default. It's not in the notification tray. - You can turn notifications on

Virtualbox still doesn't work as far as I know. - Not on the preview versions but I believe it's fixed on the final one

Basically, if you want a crap version of Win7, then by all means. - Crap because it's faster with more features?

Everything I've said you have to go out of your way to fix. In Windows 7 it's all there for you setup properly by default.

About stopping the Windows update service, you'll have to do that everytime you boot the OS unless you create a startup bat file.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FelipeInside

@JigglyWiggly_ said:
@FelipeInside said:
@JigglyWiggly_ said:

Everything I've said you have to go out of your way to fix. In Windows 7 it's all there for you setup properly by default.

About stopping the Windows update service, you'll have to do that everytime you boot the OS unless you create a startup bat file.

No it's not. When I've installed Win7 I've had to go and configure things for my liking, and I'm sure you have had to do the same. The OS has the options there, each person configures them depending on their needs/tastes.

As for Windows Updates, I haven't tried myself but you can probably put the service as DISABLED so it won't start on boot. I know I did that with my Surface.

Alucrd2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 Alucrd2009
Member since 2007 • 787 Posts

i CANT wait for windows 10 !

gmak2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 gmak2442
Member since 2015 • 1089 Posts

@Master_Live said:

Switching from win8? Well because you need to go back to the normal desktop.

And also switching to new Windows always let you follow the technologies and fashion imo. In Windows 10, one of the most important technologies should be the devices unification even if the Store does not impress me too much. And for the fashion, when I see Firefox making their browser with and for Windows 10 style, I think it prove me it's a new fashion that Windows 10 style have.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

I am waiting a couple of month be for updating from windows 7. I have a couple of accessories that I want to use and want to find out if they will work first. I have the Trackir 5 and it has problems with windows 8.1 so went back to 7 and no issues.

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#16 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

I'm playing the waiting game, half a year if not more. There is no reason to rush it.

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

I will be upgrading as soon as my free reserved copy becomes available. I like to keep up to date. DX12 as well!

The reason I am switching is for the new features and the fact that I didn't even think Windows 8 was that bad. Haven't had many compatibility issues with Windows 8, I have used many old applications and games. The only ones I couldn't use was the old Max Payne games. Windows 8 was just quicker, and pretty similar to Windows 7 if you use the desktop feature.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

I'm going to buy a retail copy and only when new releases of games support DX12.

But I can understand not wanting to "upgrade" (lol). I too don't want to either. 7 really is the best OS ever made by MS.

Supposedly you can disable all the nasty metro or modern UI crap that was in 8 and make it more like 7. But it will never will be like 7, because they will remove or change how you access features you used in 7.

Other then DX12, there really isn't any compelling reason why anyone would want to switch from 7 to 10.

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

yes.

features; best of 7 and 8, return of start menu, updated xbox live. new tech; dx 12, wddm 2.0, wmf 5, .net 4.6. in addition; futureproofing.

negative; not a fan of update scheme. conclusion; not a deterrent.

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

If you are a PC gamer, you will have to at some point.

zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By zaku101
Member since 2005 • 4641 Posts

Navigation is horrible, quick searches don't work for a lot of items, there are usually two different locations you'd have to travel to, to change some settings or be limited in areas (example power settings). Basically everything takes longer to get to & do, also feels like your still stuck in tablet mode. I use to be able to get to device manager in 1-2 clicks now it's quite a few, just type dev in windows 7 search and it pops up. Do it in Win8 and it cant find it, this is for a lot of administrative tools. I don't know why they thought it'd be a good idea to also have it search the web... Other than DX12 there's no reason to jump to Windows 10. The start menu still isn't what we wanted...

If you're on Windows 8 yes it's an upgrade if on 7 no.

MS really needs to stop forcing everything to work as one system...

Being able to stream Xbox to PC is just stupid, the screens smaller, it'd be cooler if it was actually the other way around... Yet this is a feature that the 1% will probably use, the normal consumer wouldn't waste their time trying to figure this out.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

I upgraded and then clean installed Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro last Friday.

Is it a worthy update? Yes. I've been using the new features quite often and loving the boot times for the OS and applications.

Have I ran into any issues? Yes. The Nvidia drivers still crash from time to time. Most times when Alt-Tabbing from a game. Also, Killing Floor 2 doesn't seem to work in Windows 10. Only game I have had issues.

Jr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jr14
Member since 2004 • 2148 Posts

Have windows 8, since 10 is supposed to better than 8 probably going to switch to it as soon as possible.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@Master_Live said:

0% chance that someone here will convince me of switching to Windows 10

DX12

Alucrd2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Alucrd2009

@PredatorRules: hhhhhhhhhh

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

If you have win7 home.... going to Win10 will allow you a memory address limit of 128gigs from 16 gigs.

what I don't know is if a retail copy will net you a free Win10 retail upgrade. I have a feeling that it'll be a OEM Win10 upgrade.

What's the difference? Well with retail versions you don't have to rebuy the OS if your hardware configuration changes.

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

I have two machines running 8.1 and one running 7, I'll be switching them all the 10 while it's free. Reason - DX12 for games and just generally staying current when using PC's in the workplace.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

If you're a PC gamer you should absolutely upgrade. DX12 games are on the horizon. Not to mention the performance boost it brings.

Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#29 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts

From my experience, it's a pretty-good OS. I am definitely upgrading my Win 8.1 machine, and maybe my family's Win7 machine. I will likely feel those two out until I upgrade my Win7 gaming machine for DX12.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@intotheminx said:

If you're a PC gamer you should absolutely upgrade. DX12 games are on the horizon. Not to mention the performance boost it brings.

DX12 won't be standard for a long time I'm sure. We're still a ways off from our first DX12 title, no? And performance boosts measured in games using Win 10 are very little to zero.

SoftwareGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SoftwareGeek
Member since 2014 • 573 Posts

You should absolutely upgrade. It's not a matter of "if", it's a matter of "when". You may want to upgrade right away or you may want to wait and see if some application you have on your PC will run correctly on windows 10. The windows "ecosystem" is a long overdue feature. Universal apps are a magnificent idea. The xbox one is getting keyboard and mouse support which will greatly round out it's functionality. I'm not talking just for games but Office apps as well. I'm not naive enough to think every single software suite will be universal, but if it's an "app", such as sold on windows store, then it likely will be universal. An example of software NOT being universal could be audio multi-track recording software. Sorta need good audio interfaces to make that work so you're not going to run that on your phone. That kind of stuff you'll still purchase at retail software outlets and what not. Streaming from your xbox to your pc is a fantastic idea and if it goes the other way around then that's even better.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I'm all for it, except articles like this: http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/05/12/free-windows-10-has-high-cost/, give me pause. I'm convinced it's a good OS from preview users, but I'm not convinced it would be good for me in the long run. I have ZERO interest in a subscription model OS, should this morph into such a thing down the line

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

MS probably won't give you any other choice.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 FelipeInside

@AlexKidd5000 said:

MS probably won't give you any other choice.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/lifecycle

Even Windows Vista is still supported until 2017 so no one is forcing anyone to upgrade.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Just make the switch and stop holding the industry back like some bitter Windows 7 fanboys in this thread....

All move on so we can have DX12 as a standard.

Honestly, this crap about DWM ... and "win 7 is better than win 8" ... is a load of niche nonsense. Windows 8 is better than Windows 7 completely at this point. Expect Windows 10 to be the same.

This same fear mongering happens with every new OS release.... and there are still people probably running Windows XP "That don't want to upgrade" ... see it al lthe time "why should I Get a new OS? blah blah blah".

As Felip has posted above ... Yes, you will get support for a long time... but whats the point? you get this for free now... its better than Win Vis/Win 7/ Win 8 and provides DX12 ... something we should be pushing for.

I've adopted day 1 with every OS since ME. (that was aexagurated too, but a problem) only Vista displayed any real issues due to its 64 bit adoption and driver issues... Win 8 .. with a 3rd party Start Button ... was better than Windows 7 pretty much day 1.... yet im sure some people will bring up some arbitrary little issue and make it sound like a reason not to update. (DWM being a big one... jesus christ.)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@xantufrog said:

I'm all for it, except articles like this: http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/05/12/free-windows-10-has-high-cost/, give me pause. I'm convinced it's a good OS from preview users, but I'm not convinced it would be good for me in the long run. I have ZERO interest in a subscription model OS, should this morph into such a thing down the line

To be honest, this is likely the model similar to MAC OS X that Microsoft mentioned they were going to put in place for Windows 8 saying "there likely won't be a Windows beyond Windows 8, just payed for big updates , like OS X LION to SNOW LEAPOARD" or whatever they are called.

Which is an ok system. hardly the end of the world.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@MBirdy88: yeah I'd be fine with that.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By JigglyWiggly_

I put the latest build on one of my laptops and it's still crappy. There's a news feed on one of the panes, why would that be there by default? The search menu also searches the internet as well with bing. Bing is awful and I don't see a way to turn that feature off. In the spartan web browser I don't see a way to change the search to anything but Bing.

Typing 'mouse' in the search menu did not list the mouse settings option like it does in vista/7. That is unacceptable, and I am sure there a lot more things unlisted if I search for options related things. Changing your screen resolution takes several more clicks, it's hidden. By default there are those stupid metro tiles in the start menu. Launching windows update gives me a runtime error.

I don't know a single friend I have that plans to upgrade from Win7(like 10+ people) they're all actual gamers, e.g some global elites in cs go.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By JigglyWiggly_

@orcsisgreen said:
@JigglyWiggly_ said:

I put the latest build on one of my laptops and it's still crappy. There's a news feed on one of the panes, why would that be there by default? The search menu also searches the internet as well with bing. Bing is awful and I don't see a way to turn that feature off. In the spartan web browser I don't see a way to change the search to anything but Bing.

Typing 'mouse' in the search menu did not list the mouse settings option like it does in vista/7. That is unacceptable, and I am sure there a lot more things unlisted if I search for options related things. Changing your screen resolution takes several more clicks, it's hidden. By default there are those stupid metro tiles in the start menu. Launching windows update gives me a runtime error.

I don't know a single friend I have that plans to upgrade from Win7(like 10+ people) they're all actual gamers, e.g some global elites in cs go.

we got a badass over here....

It's legitimate criticism. I really don't see what the OS offers besides virtual desktops.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By JigglyWiggly_

@orcsisgreen said:
@JigglyWiggly_ said:
@orcsisgreen said:
@JigglyWiggly_ said:

we got a badass over here....

It's legitimate criticism. I really don't see what the OS offers besides virtual desktops.

-far- better resource management. -far- better task manager. -far- better indexing and searching. -faaaaaaaaaaar- better boot times. support for DX12. cortana (which is actually HELLA useful).

how you could turn down any of those for win7, i have no idea. Win8 is even a far superior OS to Win7 now. its not even up for debate; it is more efficient in every way. the only excuse people ever seem to use is "AWWW BUT WIN8 SO BUGGY/WHERE MY START MENU!?!" neither is a reasonable argument.

WIndows 10 uses more ram. The boot times on Windows 7 are fine, and I don't turn off my computers. There are no DX12 games. Cortana doesn't help me, I use google's calender and services, not Microsoft's.

Win8 is not even close to being a superior OS. There are basically 0 csgo pros who use it for a variety of reasons, it's all Win7. Quakers don't use it either. If I cap my frame rate to 200fps in csgo, in Windows 7 I get it stable 200fps. In Windows 8(I tested this with multiple computers) I get framerate fluctuations. It won't stabilize at 200fps. Windows 8 also does not let you overclock your mice if you are using an older one like the intellimouse. Quite a few people still like that mouse, and for them WIn8 isn't even usuable.

Windows 8 has so many driver issues if you are trying to install modded drivers for random applications. It's just a pain in the ass, Windows 7 is so much more supported for unsigned drivers. This is also a big issue if you are using devices that require serial communication. A lot of those manufactures just don't update for Win8.

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#44 Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

The only thing I need windows 10 for is directx12 and then switch back on windows 7 as the main OS. I can't ever see using windows 10 for anything other then a few random dx12 games, i just don't trust it enough.

I've already thought of ways of blocking Microsofts spying attempts, i'll likely capture all the IP's i see windows randomly using, and block them in a program like Peerblock to keep windows 10 from sending who knows what back to microsoft. Or maybe just disable my network card completely if im just doing single player games with no need of network.

I'm sure when its released, people will go into great detail about all the services its running and give us all an idea what we should disable to keep microsoft identity theft and general spying attempts at bay.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 FelipeInside

@Yams1980 said:

The only thing I need windows 10 for is directx12 and then switch back on windows 7 as the main OS. I can't ever see using windows 10 for anything other then a few random dx12 games, i just don't trust it enough.

I've already thought of ways of blocking Microsofts spying attempts, i'll likely capture all the IP's i see windows randomly using, and block them in a program like Peerblock to keep windows 10 from sending who knows what back to microsoft. Or maybe just disable my network card completely if im just doing single player games with no need of network.

I'm sure when its released, people will go into great detail about all the services its running and give us all an idea what we should disable to keep microsoft identity theft and general spying attempts at bay.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Until I start hearing of ways to 100% get rid of spy bitch cortana and all windows 10 invasive habit snooping bullshit. I won't be upgrading. I'll wait a bit longer till the real world has at it and starts to push this bullshit that is Cortana away from my desktop.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

force auto updates suck and no you can't disable them even on the Pro version

selecting the option "Defer Upgrades" does squat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

So JigglyWiggles Pr E-sport arguement is because specific overclocking tools havn't been udpated, because nobody gives a s*it about them in 2015 (e.g either moved on ... or that 00000.1% that care can't be bothered to update their support).

Other people are afraid of cortana spying on you (jesus christ...).

And forced updates are broken ... (in whatever build used) ...

welcome to the average upgrade paranoa experience. probably the same people that said Win 7 was crap until years into its life. "buh buh it takes more ram" ... and the whole performance increase with win 7 is a load of horse s*it.

Alucrd2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Alucrd2009

give me a week if they are spying as you say i ll give y 1 million way to block it , although i doubt that my friend @Yams1980 !

I've installed windows 10 for a while stopping playing with cause of the driver of AMD and crossfire and they release it now ... i m upgrading when it is out ... the only thing i m lazy to do is clean install . i m going to see if they fix the upgrade and we don't have the to do clean install .

but if they are spying it would appear in the technical review my friend and if they added thats big wrong step and they know it and i m pretty sure they wont . i m using the one drive and i like it more than google .

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#50 SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts

@orcsisgreen said:

-far- better resource management. -far- better task manager. -far- better indexing and searching. -faaaaaaaaaaar- better boot times. support for DX12. cortana (which is actually HELLA useful).

how you could turn down any of those for win7, i have no idea. Win8 is even a far superior OS to Win7 now. its not even up for debate; it is more efficient in every way. the only excuse people ever seem to use is "AWWW BUT WIN8 SO BUGGY/WHERE MY START MENU!?!" neither is a reasonable argument.

Just chiming in here. If you have a solid state OS drive this is completely and utterly irrelevant. I boot to desktop in 17 seconds on a Crucial M4 running Win7. People need to stop using decreased boot times as a reason to switch to Win10. As for DX12, there wont be anything that uses it for months, certainly most games wont take advantage of it for a couple years, just like DX11.