Should I play Half Life before Half Life 2?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jvincent08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jvincent08
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Tomorrow I'm going to go out and get Crysis and Call of Duty 4 and I thought I might as well get a few more shooters too. Someone recommended Orange Box, but I've never played the first Half Life and I was wondering if I would be completely lost when playing HL2. Does the game offer at least a brief overview of what happened in the first game so I kinda know whats going on? ("Previously on Half Life..."). Or should I play the original first?
fatshodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 fatshodan
Member since 2008 • 2886 Posts
You don't need to play Half Life for story elements, but you should play HL anyway because it's one of the best games ever made.
adrake4183

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 adrake4183
Member since 2006 • 668 Posts
I don't think you would be lost but the first game is still a lot of fun. Personally I think the second game could stand by itself alright though.
36O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 36O
Member since 2006 • 823 Posts

I don't think you would be lost but the first game is still a lot of fun. Personally I think the second game could stand by itself alright though.adrake4183

Man, I have always wanted to play Half Life 1 and 2, but every time I try Steam always screws it up for me one way or another. I REALLY hate steam.

Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Forerunner-117
Member since 2006 • 8800 Posts
Well I highly recommend that you play the original Half-Life, but there's no problem with playing Half-Life 2 without having played Half-Life before it.
cmdrmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 cmdrmonkey
Member since 2004 • 994 Posts

The original is one of the greatest games of all time, but I'm not sure it has aged all that well, and you would probably just find it incredibly dated if you were playing it now for the first time.

The plot is pretty simplistic really, and you can read up on it on wikipedia if you find yourself lost playing HL2. If you do decide to go back and play it, I would also highly recommend playing the Opposing Force expansion, as it is just as good as the original HL, and fills in some of the details of the plot a bit more and lets you see things from a soldier's perspective. Don't bother with the Blue Shift expansion though. It pretty much sucked.

Jade_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#7 Jade_Monkey
Member since 2004 • 4830 Posts

[QUOTE="adrake4183"]I don't think you would be lost but the first game is still a lot of fun. Personally I think the second game could stand by itself alright though.36O

Man, I have always wanted to play Half Life 1 and 2, but every time I try Steam always screws it up for me one way or another. I REALLY hate steam.

What are some of the problems you have had with Steam ?

stephant_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 stephant_6
Member since 2005 • 1758 Posts
You don't need to play HL to get HL2,but you need to play HL just because you need to experience it. One of the best games ever made IMO.
etmaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 etmaul
Member since 2003 • 763 Posts
Quite simply, play them all, Half Life, Opposing Force and Blue Shift. They all really get you into the story and they are fantastic! Sure, they graphics may be dated, but it's the gameplay that's most important IMO.
NightShade999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 NightShade999
Member since 2005 • 180 Posts

The original is one of the greatest games of all time, but I'm not sure it has aged all that well, and you would probably just find it incredibly dated if you were playing it now for the first time.

The plot is pretty simplistic really, and you can read up on it on wikipedia if you find yourself lost playing HL2. If you do decide to go back and play it, I would also highly recommend playing the Opposing Force expansion, as it is just as good as the original HL, and fills in some of the details of the plot a bit more and lets you see things from a soldier's perspective. Don't bother with the Blue Shift expansion though. It pretty much sucked.

cmdrmonkey

I second that