Should I overclock my new built computer?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RenegadeSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By RenegadeSteve
Member since 2013 • 262 Posts

My specs are:

i5-4690K Unlocked CPU

MSI Z97 G5 board

one stick of 8GB of RAM

Radeon Sapphire Dual-X R9 270 OC edition

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#2 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@renegadesteve said:

My specs are:

i5-4690K Unlocked CPU

MSI Z97 G5 board

one stick of 8GB of RAM

Depends on the CPU cooler, it goes turbo up to 3.9Ghz alone which is very good, if you'll see a CPU hog game in the future and your FPS don't cut it then OC it to 4.6Ghz but then again it depend on the cooler.

RenegadeSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RenegadeSteve

@PredatorRules said:

@renegadesteve said:

My specs are:

i5-4690K Unlocked CPU

MSI Z97 G5 board

one stick of 8GB of RAM

Depends on the CPU cooler, it goes turbo up to 3.9Ghz alone which is very good, if you'll see a CPU hog game in the future and your FPS don't cut it then OC it to 4.6Ghz but then again it depend on the cooler.

I forgot to add that I have 5 noctua in the case and two of those are mounted to the 140 radiator along with a 200mm fan in the front

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

@renegadesteve said:

My specs are:

i5-4690K Unlocked CPU

MSI Z97 G5 board

one stick of 8GB of RAM

4.6 for the 4690K... Being optimistic, are we?

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

I say why not. A 4.2 Ghz mark is a good conservative everyday use overclock.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

Not sure from your answer if you have a water or air cooler. Maybe by radiator you ment heatsink ;). Anyway with R9 270 you really don't need to overclock that CPU. Whenever you decide to upgrade your GPU then you can consider CPU overclock.

RenegadeSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RenegadeSteve

@PfizersaurusRex said:

Not sure from your answer if you have a water or air cooler. Maybe by radiator you ment heatsink ;). Anyway with R9 270 you really don't need to overclock that CPU. Whenever you decide to upgrade your GPU then you can consider CPU overclock.

It's a 140mm cpu radiator and alright I won't overclock the card

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@horgen said:

@PredatorRules said:

@renegadesteve said:

My specs are:

i5-4690K Unlocked CPU

MSI Z97 G5 board

one stick of 8GB of RAM

Why not? you can do that as well with 4670K so for 90K it wouldn't be much of a hassle.

As I said, it depends on the CPU cooler, if you own a 30$ cooler (EVO for example) you can OC it to 4.2, on the other hand if you own a 60$+ CPU cooler (D14 or 100i) you can OC it to 4.5-6 easy.

@renegadesteve can you be more specific on the CPU cooler that you have? brand and module?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@PredatorRules: Not many here seems to even have it stable at 4.4. Well the 3-5 users who have the 4670K at least.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

Personally, I waited until I needed the extra juice before overclocking.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GeryGo  Moderator

@horgen said:

@PredatorRules: Not many here seems to even have it stable at 4.4. Well the 3-5 users who have the 4670K at least.

If it was true, I wouldn't suggest anyone getting K version of those CPUs.

It all depends on the cooling.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#12  Edited By commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

Is there something you're trying to run that you can't?

Realmjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13  Edited By Realmjumper
Member since 2007 • 840 Posts

I wouldn't.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

@horgen said:

@PredatorRules said:

@renegadesteve said:

My specs are:

i5-4690K Unlocked CPU

MSI Z97 G5 board

one stick of 8GB of RAM

Why not? you can do that as well with 4670K so for 90K it wouldn't be much of a hassle.

As I said, it depends on the CPU cooler, if you own a 30$ cooler (EVO for example) you can OC it to 4.2, on the other hand if you own a 60$+ CPU cooler (D14 or 100i) you can OC it to 4.5-6 easy.

@renegadesteve can you be more specific on the CPU cooler that you have? brand and module?

Mine runs fine at 4.4 with my EVO. I'm lucky to pass 64c.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GeryGo  Moderator

@kitty said:

@PredatorRules said:

@horgen said:

@PredatorRules said:

@renegadesteve said:

My specs are:

i5-4690K Unlocked CPU

MSI Z97 G5 board

one stick of 8GB of RAM

I live in a hot country so whenever reviews say temps, I need to make it 5-15 degrees higher :D

Mine's running with Noctua C14 at 65c while gaming at 3.8.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

Yeah clock it to 4.5ghz if you can.

RenegadeSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RenegadeSteve

@topgunmv said:

I was thinking about that at first but then im like if its unlocked why not do it now instead of later know what i mean.

@PredatorRules im using a Corsair H90

@commonfate said:

No not really, its just me being undecided on whether to do it now since I have time

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

@kitty said:

@PredatorRules said:

@horgen said:

@PredatorRules said:

@renegadesteve said:

My specs are:

i5-4690K Unlocked CPU

MSI Z97 G5 board

one stick of 8GB of RAM

I live in a hot country so whenever reviews say temps, I need to make it 5-15 degrees higher :D

Mine's running with Noctua C14 at 65c while gaming at 3.8.

Bet you wished it was cooler there. You could probably get a better OC and keep the temps down to.
But as long as she is giving you the performance you want, I don't see any reason to up it any higher.

zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By zaku101
Member since 2005 • 4641 Posts

If you asked me this years ago I would say go for it! But it's totally worthless doing it today especially if you own an Intel CPU I5/7, they're 2 far ahead of their time. There are so few games that actually take advantage of the oc cpu. Also with DX12/Mantle we're pushing further and further from CPU bottle necking. Meaning by 2015-16 it isn't going to matter what your cpu is clocked at. It's going to be more like how low can you volt it and how quite and small can you get it..

http://www.techspot.com/review/827-watch-dogs-benchmarks/page5.html

Watchdogs is a good example, no performance difference even when downclocked to 2.50ghz on Intel, AMD is a different story..

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

Why overclock a new pc that can run everything at stock? Just like to put wear and tear on a new product?

IMO overclock when you need to...

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Well what's the point in spending the extra on an unlocked CPU if you're not going to overclock?

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

@kraken2109 said:

Well what's the point in spending the extra on an unlocked CPU if you're not going to overclock?

So you can overclock it when it's no longer running to your satisfaction?

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#23 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

@horgen said:

@PredatorRules said:

@renegadesteve said:

My specs are:

i5-4690K Unlocked CPU

MSI Z97 G5 board

one stick of 8GB of RAM

My 4670K was only able to go to 4.4GHz. I tried it w/ Z87 GD-65 & Z87 Sabertooth. Also, air and water cooling, it just wouldn't get past 4.4GHz. But it was sitting nice and stable at 4.4GHz.

I'd overclock it if you can, I'd also overclock that GPU.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

@renegadesteve said:

@topgunmv said:

I was thinking about that at first but then im like if its unlocked why not do it now instead of later know what i mean.

@PredatorRules im using a Corsair H90

@commonfate said:

No not really, its just me being undecided on whether to do it now since I have time

I think that what wrong with most people who don't no. I am same. I don't no if I have done it right on mine as I have Overclocked mine to 4ghz from 3.5Gz and keep changing back and forward. I have a 3770k ivy at 3.5 and just used gigabyte 3d bios menu and slid the slider to 4gz and don't no if I should slide anything else like voltage etc.

RenegadeSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 RenegadeSteve

@BSC14 said:

Why overclock a new pc that can run everything at stock? Just like to put wear and tear on a new product?

I don't know man, I thinks its a hassle If i have to do it later down the road

zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By zaku101
Member since 2005 • 4641 Posts

@renegadesteve said:

@BSC14 said:

More like by the time you have to actually do it you've already got a new setup....

RenegadeSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 RenegadeSteve

@zaku101 said:

@renegadesteve said:

@BSC14 said:

More like by the time you have to actually do it you've already got a new setup....

eh pretty much

DavidThi808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DavidThi808
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I worked for a CPU company for 2 years (heading up the software team). The speed of the chip is determined by the manufacturer after it is fabricated. They run the samples at each possible speed and watch for errors. The manufacturer wants it to be rated at the fastest possible speed because those sell for more. It is in their interest to give it the fastest possible ranking.

So the ranking it has, that is the fastest speed at which the manufacturer is confident that it won't have any problems. When you speed it up you're moving it to a speed where it may have problems. Not will as the manufacturers are conservative, but well may.

For the small gain in performance - that's generally not worth it.

note: My experience with this is 20 years ago so how the determine chip speed may be different now.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@DavidThi808 said:

I worked for a CPU company for 2 years (heading up the software team). The speed of the chip is determined by the manufacturer after it is fabricated. They run the samples at each possible speed and watch for errors. The manufacturer wants it to be rated at the fastest possible speed because those sell for more. It is in their interest to give it the fastest possible ranking.

So the ranking it has, that is the fastest speed at which the manufacturer is confident that it won't have any problems. When you speed it up you're moving it to a speed where it may have problems. Not will as the manufacturers are conservative, but well may.

For the small gain in performance - that's generally not worth it.

note: My experience with this is 20 years ago so how the determine chip speed may be different now.

It's done the same way today. They keep testing until it fails, then they mark and sell it as one step below whatever it failed at (or a few steps below depending on the company and what the CPU's intended use is). The same goes for RAM. Bear in mind, though, that this is at a specific voltage and thermal profile. By using aftermarket cooling and tweaking voltage, the amount of gain that you can get by basically running the CPU outside of the factor recommended specifications can be significant and deliver the equivilent performance of a much more expensive CPU. My 3770k runs at 3.4 out of the box, but with a Corsair H60 closed loop water cooler (average price $60) I've been able to overclock it to 4.5ghz.

-Byshop