should i leave my computer on 24/7?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ncderek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 ncderek
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts

im tired of all the reformating and restarting and all the computer problems ive had over the last 2 weeks, do you think its ok to leave my computer on 24/7 from now on? i usually shut it off at night, but im worried one day ill restart it and itll happen all over again with the problems. is it ok to just leave it on? will my parts wear out faster? will my power supply not last as long, etc.?

zackattack784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 zackattack784
Member since 2003 • 4291 Posts
obviously the more you use your computer the more wear and tear there is on the components. you can leave it on 24/7 but i would recommend a reboot every once in a while. Windows just needs to restart every once in awhile or it gets really slow.
supergamer1289

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 supergamer1289
Member since 2005 • 2825 Posts
24/7 means a shorter life span. I would not do it. I am one of those crazy people who feel that computers have moods. One day my computer is in a bad mood so my game wont run. The next day the game boots up fine. To keep my computer in a good mood I have to put it to sleep. I am half joking about all of this.
nohabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 nohabs
Member since 2004 • 10797 Posts
I leave my work and home computer on 24/7 with no problems. I do shut down my monitor and reboot ( restart) everyday.
ncderek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 ncderek
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts
i want mine to last years and years, but im tired of erros,
Avatar image for DeeJayInphinity
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 DeeJayInphinity
Member since 2004 • 13415 Posts

I leave 2 of my computers on 27/6, I only shut them off for a night every week. One of them has been that way for the past 5 years or so, and the other one has been like that for about 10 months now. No problems so far.

Heat is the biggest concern. You can leave it on for long periods of time as long as it remains cool. Well-cooled servers can last for a long time without being shut down. 

Drunkentig3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 Drunkentig3r
Member since 2005 • 2318 Posts

I would agree with what the other posters have said-just reboot it or turn it off when not in use-if your not using it, why waste the electricity or push your computer more than you have to? Here's something else to consider:

Taken from Games for Windows: The Official Magazine (formerly known as Computer Gaming World) Issue #5 April 2007:

"Science fact: a sleeping PC still uses more energy than one that's off."

supergamer1289

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 supergamer1289
Member since 2005 • 2825 Posts

I would agree with what the other posters have said-just reboot it or turn it off when not in use-if your not using it, why waste the electricity or push your computer more than you have to? Here's something else to consider:

Taken from Games for Windows: The Official Magazine (formerly known as Computer Gaming World) Issue #5 April 2007:

Drunkentig3r
A monkey could figure that out!
littlehelp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 littlehelp
Member since 2004 • 1264 Posts
I leave my computer on 24/7 (large downloads overnight and such). And I restart once every week or so. I've had my computer for seven years and it's still fine; outdated, but good enough for me.
sykonfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 sykonfc
Member since 2004 • 607 Posts
What are these errors that are coming up on your system? I feel it's best to fix the problem rather then work around it. Because it could potenially get worse and worse and sooner or later your computer will not be able to boot up or even stay on.
blazethe1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#11 blazethe1
Member since 2004 • 1238 Posts

I leave 2 of my computers on 27/6, I only shut them off for a night every week. One of them has been that way for the past 5 years or so, and the other one has been like that for about 10 months now. No problems so far.

Heat is the biggest concern. You can leave it on for long periods of time as long as it remains cool. Well-cooled servers can last for a long time without being shut down. 

DeeJayInphinity
wtf is 27/6?! its called ram. restarting clears it. not restarting fills it. full ram makes it slow. one time a couple years ago i scanned my computer for viruses and got about 46,000. yes, 3 zeros. about 10,000 of them though were in number order and told what time they were copied onto the computer. they all had been transfered from another source on the internet at 2 in the morning over roughly a 2 minute period. the store i work at has computers that synchronize with other computers over-night, so they are NEVER shut down. they run like crap and no one believes me when i say turn them off sometimes.
Miguel16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Miguel16
Member since 2004 • 6065 Posts
i leave mine on for 2 days sometimes
Miguel16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Miguel16
Member since 2004 • 6065 Posts
obviously the more you use your computer the more wear and tear there is on the components. you can leave it on 24/7 but i would recommend a reboot every once in a while. Windows just needs to restart every once in awhile or it gets really slow.zackattack784
yea follow what he says..
BigD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 BigD
Member since 2002 • 2223 Posts
No, you shouldn't it kills the planet. That being said I'm a big hypocrite as I've left my computer on for over a week once.
jjjhsmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jjjhsmith
Member since 2003 • 799 Posts
My computer is never off until it needs the occasional restart for a software upgrade or something. I dont think I'll be adding anymore hardware to it for a while (once i build my next rig, i'll probably get a TV tuner and a 750 GB HD and turn it into a media rig) but until then, it seems to have run just fine for the last 4 years. Interesting fact, I've NEVER reformatted this computer. It probably needs one bad, but my all progams list goes over 4 pages lol. Would be a pain in the butt to reinstall everything.
Avatar image for DeeJayInphinity
DeeJayInphinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 DeeJayInphinity
Member since 2004 • 13415 Posts
[QUOTE="DeeJayInphinity"]

blazethe1

wtf is 27/6?! its called ram. restarting clears it. not restarting fills it. full ram makes it slow. one time a couple years ago i scanned my computer for viruses and got about 46,000. yes, 3 zeros. about 10,000 of them though were in number order and told what time they were copied onto the computer. they all had been transfered from another source on the internet at 2 in the morning over roughly a 2 minute period. the store i work at has computers that synchronize with other computers over-night, so they are NEVER shut down. they run like crap and no one believes me when i say turn them off sometimes.

That would be a typo. 24/6 is what I meant.

What the hell do viruses have to do with not turning off your computer? It's called AVG and I get a big fat zero every time I run a scan.

Since I turn the computer off once a week, that takes care of your memory problem.  

SoberWarock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 SoberWarock
Member since 2005 • 3086 Posts
I turn on my computer when I wake up and turn it off when I am sleeping, but it will become slow if you actually leave it on 24/7
quadraleap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 quadraleap
Member since 2004 • 36581 Posts

i want mine to last years and years, but im tired of erros, ncderek

I would not want a computer with problems for years and years. You should get those problems fixed! (Try System Mechanic)

Maybe leave it on all the time until you get those other problems fixed, otherwise I would turn it off when you go to bed, school, etc.

--Wolf--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#19 --Wolf--
Member since 2004 • 6786 Posts
Should you? No. Can you? Yes. I comes down to personal preference. Obviously if it remains cool the following morning and at the end of the day (after leaving it on for say a week) then it should be fine to leave on 24/7. But as soon as you get some slowdown or it starts getting warm, I would suggest a reboot. I mean, is it really that hard to turn your computer off/on every night/morning (Unless of course you download 24/7 as well) I personally turn mine off everynight. And during the day when I'm not here. But then again I rarely d/l big files that need leaving on overnight. If you treat your computer with respect, it will treat you the same.
Drunkentig3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Drunkentig3r
Member since 2005 • 2318 Posts
[QUOTE="Drunkentig3r"]

supergamer1289

A monkey could figure that out!

Thats the point...it was a joke... 

aft_lizard01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 aft_lizard01
Member since 2005 • 2132 Posts
My computer is never off until it needs the occasional restart for a software upgrade or something. I dont think I'll be adding anymore hardware to it for a while (once i build my next rig, i'll probably get a TV tuner and a 750 GB HD and turn it into a media rig) but until then, it seems to have run just fine for the last 4 years. Interesting fact, I've NEVER reformatted this computer. It probably needs one bad, but my all progams list goes over 4 pages lol. Would be a pain in the butt to reinstall everything.jjjhsmith
I am with you, I never turn mine off. In a sleep state it only uses 3.2 watts(or about there) and I never notice any performance decline.