This topic is locked from further discussion.

MEOWWW123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MEOWWW123
Member since 2008 • 870 Posts

OK, ive been debating hard the past few days. I friggen LOVE star wars, and this game looks pretty decent. How ever im hearing mixed reviews from beta testers. I really want this game to be good but i just dont know

I've logged a ton of time, too much, time on WoW and all i did at max level was PvP, any MMO im just there to PvP 99% of the time. SO boys, i need your infinite gaming logic. Worth getting for a huge PvP'er who finds raids or what ever there called in TOR boring?

Thanks alot.

K4ss3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#2 K4ss3r
Member since 2004 • 8697 Posts
My first impression from trying the PvP briefly in the beta was, that it is not on par with what WoW's is. Then again, if compared to Vanilla, then it's better. Honestly, just hold off the purchase till early 2012. By that time it'll be more clearer if this is a game that'll stay around, or if it was overhyped and lacked content.
TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

id go for it, its alot like wow but the star wars story elements are kick ass.

calebcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 calebcop
Member since 2009 • 889 Posts
Hmm thats a toughfy. I don't play MMOs much, but logically, I think you should wait it out until its clear whether its a good game or not and see if you'll enjoy it. I know I'm not going to get it simply because it's monthly fee is too much for me.
JAYSC81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JAYSC81
Member since 2007 • 296 Posts

Honestly it worth the buy with the free month the question is will it be worth it a renewal

AnnaGree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AnnaGree
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
just go for it
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

I played the beta for about 3 months and while it wasn't terrible, it wasn't anything special either. I'm waiting for the box to drop to about $10 and even then, I really only see myself playing ToR for a month or two, tops. The voice acting and cut-scenes, while initially interesting, get grating after the new game euphoria fades, and what remains is a very linear, on-rails, MMORPG. Been there - done that.

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts
Its wow in space with voice acting and minor choices (that have no real impact from what i can tell), Oh there is also more cut-scenes in the game then in wow for example. Am i going to get it? Hmm... I guess i will get it and then play the only class i want to play for the story to see what will happen. By then i should have a some what good idea if Bioware can support (patch) and make content fast enough with high enough quality. I do however wish that some other company would come and push at blizzard so that we the consumers will get higher quality products from both of them. Sadly i doubt SWTOR will be the one to do it. Why? Voice acting with cut scenes, while it might sound good on paper its going to drain A LOT of time and money so i doubt they will be able to keep it up in the long run.
Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

Its wow in space with voice acting and minor choices (that have no real impact from what i can tell), Oh there is also more cut-scenes in the game then in wow for example. Am i going to get it? Hmm... I guess i will get it and then play the only class i want to play for the story to see what will happen. By then i should have a some what good idea if Bioware can support (patch) and make content fast enough with high enough quality. I do however wish that some other company would come and push at blizzard so that we the consumers will get higher quality products from both of them. Sadly i doubt SWTOR will be the one to do it. Why? Voice acting with cut scenes, while it might sound good on paper its going to drain A LOT of time and money so i doubt they will be able to keep it up in the long run. KalDurenik

Actually it's more of a multiplayer KoTOR.

Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#10 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts
I did not like it very much. It would be worth it if it used a Guild Wars or Free-to-play model.
laliberte11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 laliberte11
Member since 2008 • 4246 Posts

mass effect turned MMO...if that sounds good then get it

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
[QUOTE="K4ss3r"]My first impression from trying the PvP briefly in the beta was, that it is not on par with what WoW's is. Then again, if compared to Vanilla, then it's better. Honestly, just hold off the purchase till early 2012. By that time it'll be more clearer if this is a game that'll stay around, or if it was overhyped and lacked content.

In most cases, you can tell if an MMO will last after 3-6 months. It's within that time length where people decide to either stay or drop the sub. If you do not get it now, I don't think you'll be missing out anyhow. I didn't join vanilla World of Warcraft until a year or so after it released.
Mr_Ditters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#13 Mr_Ditters
Member since 2008 • 1920 Posts

I was super excited about it, until I played the beta. It got boring quick and continued to be boring.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Elann2008

laliberte11
Pretty much, except the gameplay, combat, and controls look and feel just like any MMOG should. After playing in the beta, it's really polished and plays like World of Warcraft. Simple, polished, and fun. It also helps if you're a Star Wars fan. Not to mention the possibilities of future content.
Technomancer82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Technomancer82
Member since 2011 • 215 Posts

If you enjoyed WoW then I think you'll enjoy SWTOR. It's a very polished game from what I've played and while it won't blow your mind with completely new game mechanics it's a high quality game and the story is also really cool, if you're interested in that sort of thing.

You can also check out my full impressions of the beta here, if you're interested in a little more elaboration:

Old Republic Beta Impressions

Jabby250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jabby250
Member since 2011 • 524 Posts

I played the beta for about 3 months and while it wasn't terrible, it wasn't anything special either. I'm waiting for the box to drop to about $10 and even then, I really only see myself playing ToR for a month or two, tops.-wildflower-

No one really cares about how much money you spend on buying yourself games, no offence.

Mr_Ditters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#17 Mr_Ditters
Member since 2008 • 1920 Posts

[QUOTE="-wildflower-"]

I played the beta for about 3 months and while it wasn't terrible, it wasn't anything special either. I'm waiting for the box to drop to about $10 and even then, I really only see myself playing ToR for a month or two, tops.Jabby250

No one really cares about how much money you spend on buying yourself games, no offence.

He was giving his opinion on if it was worth buying. Relax angry forum guy.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

[QUOTE="-wildflower-"]

I played the beta for about 3 months and while it wasn't terrible, it wasn't anything special either. I'm waiting for the box to drop to about $10 and even then, I really only see myself playing ToR for a month or two, tops.Jabby250

Funny, I was unaware you spoke for everyone. Omniscience must be nice.

In the future when I wish to express my opinion on something, no matter how mundane or trivial, like, say, a video game - I'll be certain to filter it though you first. It's also strange how you conveniently omitted the actual part of my post where I explained why I thought the game was only worth about $10 but, then again, it's not surprising.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Elann2008

I played the beta for about 3 months and while it wasn't terrible, it wasn't anything special either. I'm waiting for the box to drop to about $10 and even then, I really only see myself playing ToR for a month or two, tops. The voice acting and cut-scenes, while initially interesting, get grating after the new game euphoria fades, and what remains is a very linear, on-rails, MMORPG. Been there - done that.

-wildflower-
Hmmm interesting. I'll definitely consider your opinion on TOR. You actually played it longer than most people who pre-ordered the game. I hope it doesn't disappoint.
Avatar image for -tears-run-red-
-tears-run-red-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 -tears-run-red-
Member since 2005 • 617 Posts

[QUOTE="Jabby250"]

[QUOTE="-wildflower-"]

I played the beta for about 3 months and while it wasn't terrible, it wasn't anything special either. I'm waiting for the box to drop to about $10 and even then, I really only see myself playing ToR for a month or two, tops.-wildflower-

In the future when I wish to express my opinion on something, no matter how mundane or trivial, like, say, a video game - I'll be certain to filter it though you first. It's also strange how you conveniently omitted the actual part of my post where I explained why I thought the game was only worth about $10 but, then again, it's not surprising.

K4ss3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#21 K4ss3r
Member since 2004 • 8697 Posts

laliberte11
That is the damn worst comparison I've ever seen, SWTOR is nothing like Mass Effect. If it was, I'd be playing it right now by all means.
MEOWWW123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MEOWWW123

gaaahhh haha this is good feedback guys but..... i still dont know haha. gaaahhh

MEOWWW123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MEOWWW123

Ok better question. How is the reward system for PvP? Is it comparable to people who do high end raids or what ever they're called in TOR

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Elann2008
[QUOTE="laliberte11"]

K4ss3r
That is the damn worst comparison I've ever seen, SWTOR is nothing like Mass Effect. If it was, I'd be playing it right now by all means.

I agree. The only thing they have in common is the dialogue system.. Other than that, they're nothing alike.
JokerJosiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JokerJosiah
Member since 2011 • 29 Posts
I don't see the harm in buying it, you get 30 days to play it for free and if you do not like it and think it is boring or w/e, you can choose not to sub and it will be money well spent. (Some 60dollar games only last around 20 hours or less depending on story) If you are a huge star wars fan I do not see how you cannot like it for the first twenty or more hours or maybe the whole game. I have played almost every sw game (huge fan like yourself) and enjoyed almost every one just because it is star wars. Since the best star wars game is kotor and the this game is similar to kotor it is a must buy.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Elann2008
I don't see the harm in buying it, you get 30 days to play it for free and if you do not like it and think it is boring or w/e, you can choose not to sub and it will be money well spent. (Some 60dollar games only last around 20 hours or less depending on story) If you are a huge star wars fan I do not see how you cannot like it for the first twenty or more hours or maybe the whole game. I have played almost every sw game (huge fan like yourself) and enjoyed almost every one just because it is star wars. Since the best star wars game is kotor and the this game is similar to kotor it is a must buy. JokerJosiah
Well said. I'm not even a big Star Wars fan, but I love sci-fi/sci-fantasy universes. Couldn't resist. I think I'll be subbing for a while. At least a year, only because Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2 will distract me.
MEOWWW123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MEOWWW123

i bought it...:x

JokerJosiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 JokerJosiah
Member since 2011 • 29 Posts
Yea! Good choice my friend!
Jabby250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jabby250
Member since 2011 • 524 Posts

[QUOTE="Jabby250"]

[QUOTE="-wildflower-"]

I hardly care about your opinion on anything to be quite honest; what irks me is that you seem to have a knack for stating how much money you're willing to spend on every game you comment on. Your self-importance might be admirable to your (ex-)grade school teacher, but really, no one cares.

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

I think this is one of the worst places to ask for an opinion on an mmo.

heatfanman101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 heatfanman101
Member since 2008 • 2877 Posts

OK, ive been debating hard the past few days. I friggen LOVE star wars, and this game looks pretty decent. How ever im hearing mixed reviews from beta testers. I really want this game to be good but i just dont know

I've logged a ton of time, too much, time on WoW and all i did at max level was PvP, any MMO im just there to PvP 99% of the time. SO boys, i need your infinite gaming logic. Worth getting for a huge PvP'er who finds raids or what ever there called in TOR boring?

Thanks alot.

MEOWWW123

I was in the beta and I really enjoyed it. From most of the beta testers i've talked to they seemed to had enjoyed it as well. If you love star wars, then you should definitely pick it up, the lore and story is really well done and any star wars fan will have a great time. I tried a bit of the PvP during the beta and it seemed pretty good, but I wouldn't buy it just for PvP. There are games coming that are going to have a much larger focus on PvP (Guild Wars 2), but if you love Star Wars you should pick up for the story.

V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts

I am debating whether to get it, I played WoW for 4 years and quit like 5 months ago. Cant decide :S

James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

Well you already bought it so it's too late, but I you should have waited until you know more about the PvP. I know there are some battlegrounds, but I haven't heard anything about an arena-style PvP or what rewards you get for doing PvP. I just don't think this game is going to be about PvP. It will PvE dungeons and raids with a little bit of PvP on the side. Someone that plans to do PvP only will probably be disappointed.

heatfanman101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 heatfanman101
Member since 2008 • 2877 Posts

Well you already bought it so it's too late, but I you should have waited until you know more about the PvP. I know there are some battlegrounds, but I haven't heard anything about an arena-style PvP or what rewards you get for doing PvP. I just don't think this game is going to be about PvP. It will PvE dungeons and raids with a little bit of PvP on the side. Someone that plans to do PvP only will probably be disappointed.

James00715
There are two arena PvP game types (warzones), one is called Hutball (you fight to score a ball on the enemy's goal) and I forgot what the other was called, but it was basically a domination-like mode where you capture areas. You get Valor for doing PvP, which can be used for buying PvP gear (you might get other stuff too, I've probably forgotten something). Even though I didn't play enough to expeirence any of it in the beta, the end-game will probably focus on PvE (they've already talked about adding new Flashpoints, Operations, and solo content) much more than it does on PvP (they've said they want to add new warzones and new features for PvP).
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
The mere fact that its a science fiction setting rather then the stereotypical fanatasy setting scores huge kudos for me. Not to mention that they have found a way to give far more player interaction with even the more mundane quests.. WoW was great in its own way, but I did not very much care for the majority of the story or the setting simply because of how poorly it was given in which the pc seemed to play a neutral role at best.. I honestly don't see why a mmo fan would not want to try it out.. Furthermore Wildflowers statement is quite a feat for the game, he is literally the most jaded person in this forum that thinks 99% of the games out there aren't worth a cent.. So saying its worth $10 to him for a modern game and not one 10 to 15 years old is a huge complement.
Bigsteve3570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Bigsteve3570
Member since 2009 • 975 Posts
I played on all of the beta weekends. Definitely buy it.
kyle_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 kyle_360
Member since 2009 • 530 Posts

yes you should

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

It's a good single player game with multiplayer aspects to it. It's worth the purchase price for the free month. After that.... who knows.