Should I get Morrowind?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for LycanthropyMoon
LycanthropyMoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 LycanthropyMoon
Member since 2009 • 220 Posts

I'm really intrested in getting Oblivion for the PS3 (my PC will never be able to run it so don't tell me to buy the PC version, also I much prefer gaming on a console), and haven't done so yet, yeah I know I'm late, but I thought maybe before that, I should get Morrowind for the PC, as the GOTY version of Morrowind is really cheap now, but many people here said Morrowind is much better than Oblivion, and if i'll play oblivion after morrowind i'll get deeply dissapointed, and really I dont wanna get dissapointed :P so should I still get it? or it will ruin Oblivion for me (and not getting oblivion is not an option!) thanks in advance ^^

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
Morrowind is a REALLY amazing game, if you can stand lack of voice overs and lower graphics. I suggest you get the game then get some resolution and graphics enhancers for Morrowind. You should enjoy it, because it is an really great game.
-Origin-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 -Origin-
Member since 2007 • 1816 Posts

definetly! Infact in my shared opinion, Morrowind was a better game than Oblivion. It has a lot more depth than oblivion, I'm not going to fully get into it cause my finger hurst from typing lol but I think you're better off playing morrowind than oblivion, although oblivion is a great game too, just morrowind is better :P

Fresherty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Fresherty
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Well, Morrowind is a bit 'old' in terms of not only graphic but also gameplay. If you don't mind a bit lame fighting mechanics its a great game. Size and complexity of the world is overwhelming :). Oblivion is also great (although IMO side quests are way better than main, so consider not doing 1st mission with handing amulet, just to skip this lame Gates of Oblivion opening part). If you've got strong PC you should also consider buying Oblivion for it, not PS3. Why? Well, you'll get huge advantage of literally thousands of mods adding and correcting features in the game. Also - you might turn off the worst and most irritating element of the game, which is level scaling environment (and trust me - you WANT to do that).
LycanthropyMoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LycanthropyMoon

definetly! Infact in my shared opinion, Morrowind was a better game than Oblivion. It has a lot more depth than oblivion, I'm not going to fully get into it cause my finger hurst from typing lol but I think you're better off playing morrowind than oblivion, although oblivion is a great game too, just morrowind is better :P

-Origin-

hehe thanks for answering, but maybe you haven't really fully read my post, my question was - will experiencing morrowind before oblivion, will ruin oblivion for me? because iv'e seen everybody being dissapointed by oblivion because morrowind was better.

LycanthropyMoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LycanthropyMoon

Well, Morrowind is a bit 'old' in terms of not only graphic but also gameplay. If you don't mind a bit lame fighting mechanics its a great game. Size and complexity of the world is overwhelming :). Oblivion is also great (although IMO side quests are way better than main, so consider not doing 1st mission with handing amulet, just to skip this lame Gates of Oblivion opening part). If you've got strong PC you should also consider buying Oblivion for it, not PS3. Why? Well, you'll get huge advantage of literally thousands of mods adding and correcting features in the game. Also - you might turn off the worst and most irritating element of the game, which is level scaling environment (and trust me - you WANT to do that).Fresherty

thanks, but as iv'e said in my first post, no chance for getting it for the PC, i'm not intrested in mods, neither my PC strong enough to run it, and I much prefer gaming for the console, each multiplatform game, I'll always get for my playstation, unless it's version is really terrible, in that case i prolly won't get the game at all, Only games i play on the PC are Pc exclusive.

Fresherty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Fresherty
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Just for the question - it didn't ruin my experience... I still put Oblivion as one of the best action RPGs I've ever played. Morrowind is complex, slowly narrated. It's just different, not better. You just shouldn't expect from Oblivion being just clone of the Morrowind. It feels different, it is different. So go ahead, if you've got patience and time to discover Morrowind... ;)
Ca_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ca_shadow
Member since 2004 • 201 Posts
For the love of god, pick it up. I was a HUGE fan of morrowind, i was obviously dissapointed with oblivion.
LycanthropyMoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LycanthropyMoon

also a small question regarding the game, can you see your character from a third person view? not neccesarily for playing, but more to see how all the armor and stuff you get looks on you :P just like you can do in oblivion

dan_savi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dan_savi
Member since 2006 • 244 Posts

also a small question regarding the game, can you see your character from a third person view? not neccesarily for playing, but more to see how all the armor and stuff you get looks on you :P just like you can do in oblivion

LycanthropyMoon

Yes you can ;)

Brendissimo35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 1

#11 Brendissimo35
Member since 2005 • 1934 Posts

morrowind is a much better game than oblivion, but it is much older. Can you handle an older game? if so, get morrowind, and get it first.

Bumzur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Bumzur
Member since 2009 • 560 Posts
Morrowind was and still is one of my favorite RPGs. Oblivion failed to live up to the hype that Morrowind created. It was a decent game, but no where near the terms of Morrowind.
Baji_Boxer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Baji_Boxer
Member since 2007 • 98 Posts

Morrowind is much bigger and more difficult (more depth though). I actually stopped playing after getting lost in the woods for hours and losing track of where I had to go for my quest. I hear there's mods you can download though to add some of Oblivian's more convenient features into the game. So, I liked some of the mechanics for Oblivian better, but Morrowind has a deeper story, more side quests, bigger world, and much more variety of scenery. Also no scaling enemy levels, so leveling up means more ;-)

SLUSHiNaToR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SLUSHiNaToR
Member since 2009 • 1366 Posts
Morrowind is a REALLY amazing game, if you can stand lack of voice overs and lower graphics. I suggest you get the game then get some resolution and graphics enhancers for Morrowind. You should enjoy it, because it is an really great game. ferrari2001
Yea exactally. Its hella better than oblivion too. the gameplay also isnt very good.. but somehow I find it amazing :p. Its not noob friendly either fyi. you can travel all you want and you might end up in a dungeon thats like 20 lvls above you :P. Very fun stuff lol And the guy above my post, listen to him.. lol ^^ i forgot about the depth :P Oh, and if you do buy Morrowind, theres a mod for oblvion called morroblivion i think thats what its called. But its a remake of morrowind in oblivion.. CHECK IT. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmNXKY-xZM4 pretty cool stuff. It only works if you have morrowind too. I think they might used the textures and such from it. or something
LycanthropyMoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LycanthropyMoon

got no prob at all with older games, actully I love older games lol, for some reason they have sometimes much more charm than newer games, I grew up playing older games of course :P right now I'm also playing MGS1 and I'm loving it, no prob at all with older games. the whole point of the thread was if my oblivion experience will be ruined if I'll play and finish Morrowind first, but I guess as I know myself it probably won't ruin my experience, so I guess I'll head through to it, its really cheap today.

chikinlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 chikinlad
Member since 2008 • 1167 Posts

I just got the morrowind goty last week for about $13 on amazon. The graphics are pretty awful and when you walk into balmora there is this lizardy guy with super long legs that walks around all funny like. I dont know why but i thought it was hilarious. Anyways it is a really fun game and you should buy it right this second especially since it is so cheap.