Should I get Half Life? I never actually played it

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MacBrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 MacBrother
Member since 2003 • 212 Posts
The 14 bucks (includes team fortress, opposing Force, Half-Life + Blue Shift) from Steam is pretty tempting, but the has aged, is Half Life a classic in the sense of Super Mario Bros. where the gameplay is timeless or am I just setting myself up for disapointment. BTW I have an excuse, I was, well am a crazy Mac fanboy and well I never owned a PC till recently. And BTW I haven't bought Half Life 2 either cause I'm too cheap to buy it lol.
A-S_FM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 A-S_FM
Member since 2004 • 2208 Posts
the gold (and maybe silver?) versions of half life 2 come with an enhanced version of the original half life

i strongly, strongly suggest you buy it right now and play both of them

right now

personally, i don't see much point to buying the half life expansions, opposing forces wasn't so great and blue shift was awful, so i'd say skip 'em and go for the haf life 2 with half life pack - which also includes counter strike source

unless you're really, really desperate to play the other stuff, i think it's worth skipping

but there is a reason the half life games have goty awards from dozens of publications around the world, as well as being highly respected by both the gaming public and the gaming industry - they're two of the best damn games ever made

so, yeah, you should get it (right now)
Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
Yeah, get back on steam and order it now... ;) Seriously though, Half-Life is quite possibly the best First Person Shooter to date. :) So yeah, you should.
minou12234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 minou12234
Member since 2004 • 83 Posts
Yeah I agree Half Life is a great First Person shooter, so for 14 dollers you cant go wrong.
artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 artur79
Member since 2005 • 4679 Posts

Get HL2 ASAP. It's a fantastic game. As for Half Life.... This game was great back in '98. I played it for the first time last year, did not like it. Maybe because it is overhyped. People said "Best FPS-story ever!" Well, it's not. Graphics are dated, gameplay is okay, but nothing special by today's standards. And those jumping puzzles, God... I don't regret playing it though, it's part of gaming-history. (But hey, it's just my opinion, you might love it.)

Get them both, you'll love HL2, you might like HL.

Harpy170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Harpy170
Member since 2007 • 33 Posts
It seems to be a common argument with people I've talked to that its outdated, well yeah sure it is, its really old.  But for what it was it was an amazing game and to play HL2 without playing HL1 is a mistake, its deffinetly worth a play through and try not to look at graphical anomalies and just experience the game, its really a ton of fun.