Should i get dead space or gears of war ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

iki080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 iki080
Member since 2008 • 1085 Posts
witch is better people
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Dead Space.
neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

Having not played Dead Space, I couldn't comment on it. However, I can tell you about Gears of War on PC.

It's a fast paced third person shooter that'll keep you running, gunning and finding cover. If you have a halfway decent computer, you can pretty much max the game. However, there are performance issues that crop up with some people when they play, myself being one of them.

Performance issues that you might see (no matter what settings you use):

1. Stuttering - this is about the only thing. With my computer (AMD X2 5600+, 2x 8800GTS 512MB in SLI, 4GB memory and Windows XP) I can have the game running smooth as silk at 60fps when for no reason the game would stutter and almost come to a halt on my screen. Bad part about this is that the game keeps going even though I hang up for a few seconds or have bad stuttering.

Below is a list of steps you can take and they'll help eliminate your stuttering issues to almost non-existant - pulled from OoSuperMarioO's blog:

Well lately I'm hearing alot of guys having bad performance even when using 8 series card. By following these steps orderly I hope some of your issues will be solved. The Unreal Engine has had a long history of being a highly tweakable engine. These tweaks worked for me and plenty of others. So lets get to it.

-First thing first is to make sure all your drivers are up to date.

-Next simply click on Start. Now click on Documents. Browse and click on My Games. Next click on Gears of War for Windows. You should now see Binaries, Engine and WarGame. Click on WarGame and then Click Config. In that directory search for WarEngineUserSettings and open it using Notepad(Make sure your security allows you use your files as a Administrator else you will be prompt that these commands wont be executed. To do this simple right click on the Gears of War for Windows and select Properties. Click the Security tab. You should then see User names and Group names. Now click Edit to configure settings for the User/Group name. Next simply search for your computer name and select it. Under Permissions for _________ check all the tabs for Full control ect and select apply then ok.) In the notepad you open for WarEngineUserSettings search under System Settings for 'OnlyStreamInTextures'. It should say OnlyStreamInTextures=FALSE. Change FALSE to TRUE and save. This tweak should eliminate the low frames and stuttering.

Some people have reported by clicking Start then clicking Games and right click and 'Play' Gears for Windows crashing will eliminate.

For those that want to go further with tweaks follow along.

If your a Soundblaster X-fi user copy and paste these text under [ALAudio.ALAudioDevice] to your WarEngineUserSettings using Notepad.

UseEAX=True
Use3DSound=True
UseDefaultDriver=True
MaxEAXVersion=5
UsePrecache=True
MaxChannels=128
MaxEAXVersion=5
CompatibilityMode=False
UseFilter=True
UseReverb=True
TimeBetweenHWUpdates=10
UseEffectsProcessing=False
DeviceName=
LowQualitySound=False
MusicVolume=0.3
AmbientVolume=0.6
SoundVolume=0.6
VoiceVolume=1.0
DopplerFactor=1.0
Rolloff=0.5
OutputRate=48kHz

It should then look like this:

[ALAudio.ALAudioDevice]
UseEAX=True
Use3DSound=True
UseDefaultDriver=True
MaxEAXVersion=5
UsePrecache=True
MaxChannels=128
MaxEAXVersion=5
CompatibilityMode=False
UseFilter=True
UseReverb=True
TimeBetweenHWUpdates=10
UseEffectsProcessing=False
DeviceName=
LowQualitySound=False
MusicVolume=0.3
AmbientVolume=0.6
SoundVolume=0.6
VoiceVolume=1.0
DopplerFactor=1.0
Rolloff=0.5
OutputRate=48kHz

If your soundcard is a audigy ect, then these tweaks are usable however you have to know which Eaxversion your card supports and simpy change MaxEaxVersion to whichever your cards supports. Also you should know how many amounts of channels your card uses. Since I'm a X-fi user my card supports 128. If your cards supports 64, 32 and lower change MaxChannels= to whichever your card supports.

Quadcore users can add these texts to your WarEngineUserSettings to see if you get a performance increase:

[Havok]
HavokNumThreads=4

Dual core users should change to 2.

There has been some new tweaks I discovered and while I'm still observing to see if there helpful your more then welcome to try to them to see if it helps you. Add these texts to your WarEngineUserSettings.

[D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice]
UsePrecaching=True
UseMipmapping=True
UseTripleBuffering=True
UseGammaCorrection=True

If your not using Vsync then I don't recommend using the 'UseTripleBuffering=True', you can simply delete it.

aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 aliblabla2007
Member since 2007 • 16756 Posts

blablablaneatfeatguy

That's a lot of unnecessary words.

artistry_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 artistry_
Member since 2004 • 488 Posts
Dead Space
Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts
Wow, that's a tough choice. They're both massively mediocre and highly boring. But I like the survival horror aspect of Dead Space so I'll give the nod to it....
explasiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 explasiv
Member since 2007 • 1420 Posts

of course gears,the SP is Very good i give it 9.0 if the game didn't have mp it worth getting for the good sp,and the MP is Very good too i like it

joshuahaveron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 joshuahaveron
Member since 2004 • 2165 Posts
Gears of war for its replayabity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 100000
Member since 2003 • 549 Posts

Dead Space is fresher because it is a newer game.

The million dollar quesiton is have you EVER played Gears of War? If not, then I would go with that. Otherwise, Dead Space all the way.

Baselerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 Baselerd
Member since 2003 • 5104 Posts
Theyre both kinda crap. Just marching in a linear fashion killing the same enemies over and over again. I've played both for pc... they both got boring after a while. Get GoW because it's cheaper so you'll waste less money.
psychodrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 psychodrone
Member since 2008 • 128 Posts
Gears of war for its replayabityjoshuahaveron
lol......I seriously hope that was a sarcastic statement. Gears of War for it's "replayability" is a JOTY(Joke of the Year) winner.
anolecrabcf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 anolecrabcf
Member since 2005 • 658 Posts
Dead Space. Unless you're into crappy games for dumb people
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

Dead Space is fresher because it is a newer game.

The million dollar quesiton is have you EVER played Gears of War? If not, then I would go with that. Otherwise, Dead Space all the way.

This.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#14 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
Gears of war is pretty fun to play again, I've not tried dead space again though, and the horror aspects can be very wearing. Gears has MP and COOP though so it gives you more room to play with. If you really like horror games then dead space, if you prefer action shooters gears.
--Anna--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 --Anna--
Member since 2007 • 4636 Posts
Gears of War.
yasso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#16 yasso
Member since 2003 • 660 Posts

If you're gonna buy the game & finish it in one sitting or a weekend or something, then get Gears of War, because it is Action first then Adventure, and the story & characters aren't really emphasized in it. However, if you're gonna take your time, play for 2-4 hours, then give it a rest until the next day and so on, and if you like a good story and some emphasis on characters, then definitely Dead Space.

I like both games, but have to say that I prefer games with good stories, and the story is almost non-existent in Gears of War, while being very highlighted in Dead Space. I very much prefer Dead Space.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
Dead Space is awesome, and it has great replay value. I definitely recommend it.
napp123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 napp123
Member since 2007 • 865 Posts
Go with Dead Space. has a better variety of objectives, and there is more depth to the gameplay(inventory management,upgrades,more types of enemies and strategic dismemberment)
vedomedo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 vedomedo
Member since 2004 • 370 Posts

dead space all the way man... GoW is just a hyped up console **** game... i seriously hate it...

i mean yeah it's cool to use your chainsaw.. but thats not everything...

btw iv'e completeded both, dead space had a more satisfying end lol freaked me out

iki080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 iki080
Member since 2008 • 1085 Posts
Thanks for all your help guys but i still cant decide its killing me lol i like shooter games the action all that but i also like games with a in depth story line
crazymonkey092

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 crazymonkey092
Member since 2005 • 974 Posts
Pick up dead space first, its a really fun game. Gears doesnt really have an interesting story to me, while dead space does. Even has a movie, which i say anyone should watch, especially if you've played the game or will play.
Subcritical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23 Subcritical
Member since 2004 • 2286 Posts

I'd give Gears of War the nod over Dead Space.

I used to hate Gears, but after playing through it a few times, it grew on me.

Dead Space is pretty good too, but the story is very cliche, and it reminded me of Doom 3. I think Doom 3 looks and is an overall a better game than Dead Space.

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
Two average games. I've beaten Gears of War and played Dead Space at a friend's house. Dead Space seems to be a little more unique and fun than Gears of War.
dinuattila

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dinuattila
Member since 2005 • 1355 Posts
Dead Space8)