funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By funkyzoom
Member since 2005 • 1534 Posts

I never got around to playing the original Resident Evil, mainly because I reside in a third world country where PCs and consoles were not mainstream until the early 2000s. I have played all the Silent Hill games which were released for the PC, and thoroughly enjoyed them. RE4 is the only Resident Evil game I have played (last years' HD version), and really liked it.

Now this new HD Remaster of RE 1 seems to be the perfect way for me to play this game, which fans describe as the quintessential survival horror experience. But i saw a couple of gameplay videos on Youtube, and the fixed camera combined with the old school game mechanics seemed slightly off putting. Also, it seems to really too much on tough and intricate puzzle solving, and I haven't really played games of this kind.

Considering these aspects, would I really be able to enjoy the experience? I don't want to give up on this game, because it is something I wanted to play ever since i got my first PC in the year 2001. But it seems like I probably won't be able to proceed too far into the game without requiring a game guide or walkthrough (I really hate using those) guiding me at every step. The puzzles and item hunting seem to be too obtuse, and the game seems to severely limit the number of saves allowed.

I really appreciate answers from old school RE Veterans, as well as those who played (and hopefully enjoyed) this remake. The Steam listing for the game seems so tempting, and I'm itching to click on that 'buy' button once I get some feedback on this thread.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

It's a bit boring. Resident Evil 4 and Revelations are better.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 funkyzoom
@uninspiredcup said:

Hmmm...so you feel it is boring? Did you play the original, the remaster, or both?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

@funkyzoom said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Hmmm...so you feel it is boring? Did you play the original, the remaster, or both?

Both. The original has aged terribly. The remastered is largely the same game but with better voice acting; graphics and a few key differences, it's a decent update.

Still would recommend Revelations on "infernal" mode over it any-day though.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 funkyzoom

@uninspiredcup said:

@funkyzoom said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Both. The original has aged terribly. The remastered is largely the same game but with better voice acting; graphics and a few key differences, it's a decent update.

Still would recommend Revelations on "infernal" mode over it any-day though.

Thanks for the feedback!

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#6 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Yes, and play it in 4:3 as well, it really feels like survival horror compared to the later games after all.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 funkyzoom
@mitu123 said:

Yes, and play it in 4:3 as well, it really feels like survival horror compared to the later games after all.

Thanks for the feedback. But if II play it in 4:3 on my widescreen monitor, then I have to choose between the image being stretched out or seeing black bars at the sides, right?

xCaZx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By xCaZx
Member since 2015 • 82 Posts

Resident Evil 1 is a fantastic game, but there is really no way for me to tell you whether you will like it or not. The game play is a little different and the fixed camera system/character movement is a little weird at first.

Resident Evil 1 is a little slower paced than most games today. You basically end up exploring a mansion and solving puzzles, unlocking rooms (as you locate keys and items necessary), and discovering what the heck has happened.

Resident Evil 4 is probably my favorite of the series, but RE1 is still well worth your time and money, especially now that you can play the remastered version.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I kind of feel like if they're not even going to try to make decent sequels, why should I drop money on one of their remastered titles?

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#10 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

@funkyzoom said:
@mitu123 said:

Thanks for the feedback. But if II play it in 4:3 on my widescreen monitor, then I have to choose between the image being stretched out or seeing black bars at the sides, right?

Yes, and if you didn't know, in widescreen the image is actually cropped because it stretches the view so you'll miss out on environmental details, in 4:3 all the detail is there because it's always designed to be a 4:3 game due to prerendered backgrounds.