Should I buy FarCry3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

To those of you that own this game I am trying to figure out the decision of whether to buy FC3 or not. i HATED FC2 and i really love FPS and RPGs. please. give me your input! :)

The_Stand_In

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 The_Stand_In
Member since 2010 • 1179 Posts

Yes.

edit: To elaborate; FarCry 3 is a great open world FPS with RPG elements. Good (though not great) story, interesting characters, and satisfying gameplay. It's better than FarCry 2 in every way possible.

It's definitely a must-play game if you are into FPS/RPG hybrids.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#3 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

~ i have yet to play farcry 3~

EVERYONE hated farcry 2. and personaly i think they should give away farcry 3 to make it up lol. Anyways from what i seen from others is that everyone has been enjoying it.

I will be picking it up when  i see a good deal on it

Zillaschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Zillaschool
Member since 2004 • 1610 Posts
All you need to hear is "YES"
BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

I was in the same boat as you i didn't like Far Cry 2 but i still went ahead and bought Far Cry 3 and let me tell you right now i've never looked back. This is one of those games where it deserves the full price tag and then some.

DMND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 DMND
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

Pretty much Elder Scrolls with guns at this point. How does that sound to you? Good? Buy it.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

~ i have yet to play farcry 3~

EVERYONE hated farcry 2. and personaly i think they should give away farcry 3 to make it up lol. Anyways from what i seen from others is that everyone has been enjoying it.

I will be picking it up when i see a good deal on it

k2theswiss

Not everyone hated Far Cry 2, some enjoyed it but hated the direction it took with some of the gameplay mechanics. Either way they really made up for it in Far Cry 3.

Spellingiscool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Spellingiscool
Member since 2010 • 1450 Posts
Absolutely yes.
KABCOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 KABCOOL
Member since 2009 • 1147 Posts

Yess I got it for $15 a couple weeks ago. Its so awesome!

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#10 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

It was a ton of fun, after being dissappointed with FC2, it was nice to get a surprise with FC3.

Not perfect but a ton of fun can be had in this game.

Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts

Pretty much Elder Scrolls with guns at this point. How does that sound to you? Good? Buy it.

DMND

It's more Assassin's Creed than TES. It has nowhere near the ammount of stuff and depth that TES games have.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Far Cry 3 is worth $40 max. I like that it's open-world and how you can approach each fight in a different methodical way. Its weakest point is definitely the story. Some of the characters are straight up cheesy, with forgettable voice acting, while some of them namely the villain is really good. The graphics are pretty nice, but there's a dosage of art style that may not be pleasing to some. Outposts and radio towers and skinning an animal gets really tedious after a while; you just want to finish the main story and finish the game. Overall, a good to very good game.
PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts
I hated Far Cry 2 aswell. Bought FC3 for full price, no regrets, amazing game.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#14 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Yes, it's worth it.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#15 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Yes, it poops all over Far Cry 2 in terms of quality and variety. 

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10490 Posts

DMND

sounds good. pity its not true.

for the record far cry 3 is nothing like the elder scrolls games, as darth says its more assassins creed than anything else.

still its a huge improvement over the 2nd and is worth a buy, particularly if you can find it discounted

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#17 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="DMND"]

Macutchi

for the record far cry 3 is nothing like the elder scrolls games, as darth says its more assassins creed than anything else.

still its a huge improvement over the 2nd and is worth a buy, particularly if you can find it discounted

Actually, DMND does have a point. When someone compared it to Skyrim, I thought he was smoking. Some of the "dungeons" in Far Cry 3 felt very Elder Scrolls-ish. Other than that, it's Far Cry 3.

I put in over 20 hours into Fary Cry 3 and not once did it remind me of AC3.  

ZimpanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#18 ZimpanX
Member since 2005 • 12636 Posts

I absolutely despised Far Cry 2 but I loved Far Cry 3. I only wish the game was harder but I hear there is a patch coming that will add another harder difficulty to the game.

Gallowhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 9

#19 Gallowhand
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

Far Cry 3 is a great game.  It is more like the first Far Cry in that you have a lot more freedom in how to approach objectives (but of course there are no mutants or anything).  According to Steam I played the single player campaign for over 60 hours, and I never got bored.  My main gripes would be that the game was made slightly too easy by unlocking free weapons by liberating radio towers, and the sheer abundance of loot, which meant you never ran out of cash.  I felt the story was well told, and most of the characters believable, or at least interesting.

I think it's certainly one of the best FPS games I've played over the last few years.

NoAssKicker47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#20 NoAssKicker47
Member since 2004 • 2855 Posts

Yes.

edit: To elaborate; FarCry 3 is a great open world FPS with RPG elements. Good (though not great) story, interesting characters, and satisfying gameplay. It's better than FarCry 2 in every way possible.

It's definitely a must-play game if you are into FPS/RPG hybrids.

The_Stand_In

I wouldn't say the characters are interesting - on the contrary. The game doesn't do a very good job of making you care about the "good people", and when it actually does throw a great character your way, it tends to under-emphasize them, which found me disappointed on a couple of occasions. Vaas is an awesome, awesome character. Anyways, other than that, I completely agree with this comment, it's absolutely a must-play and worth buying for the asking price.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10490 Posts

[QUOTE="Macutchi"]

[QUOTE="DMND"]

Elann2008

Actually, DMND does have a point. When someone compared it to Skyrim, I thought he was smoking. Some of the "dungeons" in Far Cry 3 felt very Elder Scrolls-ish. Other than that, it's Far Cry 3.

I put in over 20 hours into Fary Cry 3 and not once did it remind me of AC3.  

i dont think he does. he said it was elder scrolls with guns which it absolutely is not.

and when you have to climb towers to reveal new parts of the map and, with all the little mini-game side quests, i think the parallels with assassins creed, not specifically ac3, are fairly obvious 

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

Some have commented on the story being cheesy, but with the villian being as good as he was, the story had me hooked. I was addicted to it and played through the whole thing in about a week. UPlay doesn't track your hours so I can't say how long it took me. It is an amazing game; however, it doesn't have the replay value that I thought it would. I expected even after I beat it to just mess around in the pseudo-sandbox, but since completing the story, I've only booted it up for the Co-Op, which wasn't nearly as addicting as the single player and now I haven't touched the game in months.

In short, if you're looking for a great single player campaign, then look no further. If you were hoping for a game with endless replayability, look elsewhere.

NoAssKicker47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 NoAssKicker47

Some have commented on the story being cheesy, but with the villian being as good as he was, the story had me hooked. I was addicted to it and played through the whole thing in about a week. UPlay doesn't track your hours so I can't say how long it took me. It is an amazing game; however, it doesn't have the replay value that I thought it would. I expected even after I beat it to just mess around in the pseudo-sandbox, but since completing the story, I've only booted it up for the Co-Op, which wasn't nearly as addicting as the single player and now I haven't touched the game in months.

In short, if you're looking for a great single player campaign, then look no further. If you were hoping for a game with endless replayability, look elsewhere.

Cwagmire21
That could be rectified if Ubi finally decides to add New Game+. As for the hours - the game tracks them. You can boot it up and look at your save just before you load your game, and it will tell you how much time you've logged into it.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I love Far Cry 3. But, one nasty quirk it has is a tendency to crash (at least on my PC) when there is a patch or update due. I'm not sure if it's because of uPlay or it's Far Cry 3 itself.

yellonet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 yellonet
Member since 2004 • 7768 Posts

NO! I was stupid enough to pay money for this game (got it cheap luckily) I've played it about an hour and I'm already fed up with how incredibly bad the game is.
The environment is pretty boring and it doesn't make sense that you're safe in a small village while just a 100 m away there are bandits roaming around.
The enemies are the worst I've seen in a long long time, they seem to be blind and won't spot you in full daylight when you're 5 meters away!

Overall it's a completely arcadish game without any realism at all, it's just a very bad game with polish. But you know what they say about polishing a turd, right?

flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
Yes you should. I had a blast. I'm usually not one to finish a game, but I actually completed it most of the side missions. I didn't actually buy the game, but if I did, I wouldn't have regretted it.
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#27 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Yes, Farcry 3 is a great game.
NoAssKicker47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 NoAssKicker47

NO! I was stupid enough to pay money for this game (got it cheap luckily) I've played it about an hour and I'm already fed up with how incredibly bad the game is.
The environment is pretty boring and it doesn't make sense that you're safe in a small village while just a 100 m away there are bandits roaming around.
The enemies are the worst I've seen in a long long time, they seem to be blind and won't spot you in full daylight when you're 5 meters away!

Overall it's a completely arcadish game without any realism at all, it's just a very bad game with polish. But you know what they say about polishing a turd, right?

yellonet

That comment has zero truth to it.

The first hour of the game has you learning the different mechanics of the game, mainly climbing towers and learning to hunt and craft, and I believe one for taking an outpost and doing a basic takedown, so it's logical that a tutorial chunk of the game won't be as intense as later levels.

The enemies do a fine job of flanking you and reacting to environmental changes like noise, arrows barely missing them, wildfires, animals, dead bodies etc... And yes, they WILL see you if you're in plain sight, but logically won't when you're hiding inside high foliage and bushes. They're aware of the direction from which they or their friends had been shot and will actively seek you out, sometimes using vehicles in large groups. They're also good shots and use cover very well.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

[QUOTE="Cwagmire21"]

NoAssKicker47

That could be rectified if Ubi finally decides to add New Game+. As for the hours - the game tracks them. You can boot it up and look at your save just before you load your game, and it will tell you how much time you've logged into it.

Yeah, the game would have greatly benefited from a New Game+. It's a shame they overlooked that when developing it. I doubt that's something you can just patch in. Hopes for FC4 I guess. :)

Oh that's good to know. Thank you!

NoAssKicker47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 NoAssKicker47

[QUOTE="NoAssKicker47"][QUOTE="Cwagmire21"]

Cwagmire21

Yeah, the game would have greatly benefited from a New Game+. It's a shame they overlooked that when developing it. I doubt that's something you can just patch in. Hopes for FC4 I guess. :)

Oh that's good to know. Thank you!

Why would it be so hard to patch in? Some modders have more or less managed to do it, but with rather imperfect results.