should I build an APU pc in 2012?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SophaerLam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SophaerLam
Member since 2004 • 554 Posts

or wait and save money for something better? can u guys inform me on whats going to come out in the APU world? and if it is good to build one this year how much will it cost me to build one to play 2011 games and the ones coming for the next 2 or 3 years? thx in advance.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

or wait and save money for something better? can u guys inform me on whats going to come out in the APU world? and if it is good to build one this year how much will it cost me to build one to play 2011 games and the ones coming for the next 2 or 3 years? thx in advance.

SophaerLam

apu's are solid but id wait a little bit

id wait till the middle of this buisness quarter or the end. by then trinity will be out and we will have a much better idea as to where they sit. if trinity meets even mild expectations then it will be a solid cpu for gaming trump intel for the media center market.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11803 Posts

Wait to see what Trinity offers first

kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

with this kind of tech u cen wait forever, but at least we know what is coming and when, which is just around the corner. We also know there are HUGE improvements in performance and power consumption. if the current stuff had JUST come out, i would say fine, go for it, but this gear ahs been around for 4-6 months already so its due for replacement.

NailedGR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NailedGR
Member since 2010 • 997 Posts

Just like everyone here says, wait for trinity, see how it performs and then make your decision.

OldSoldier123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 OldSoldier123
Member since 2009 • 257 Posts

Right now the APU's are just Athlon II's with lower clocks or cores with with a somewhat decent IGPU. Not for gaming though.

I find this trend of putting the gpu core inside the processor highly disturbing.

Just put it on the damn motherboard like you used to and anyone who wants integrated graphics can just get that motherboard.

Anyone who buys an I5 2500K and just uses the IGPU is doing it wrong.

Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Slow_Show
Member since 2011 • 2018 Posts

Yeah, definitely wait. If Piledriver works out it should be a huge boost for AMD, Ivy Bridge's HD4000 is supposed to be a pretty significant upgrade over HD3000 (although Intel's pricing usually sucks for desktop iGPUs), and worst comes to worst can you avoid that potential "not so great CPU+not so great GPU" middleground and put together a nice CPU+dedicated budget GPU rig.