Sega's Future on PC

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

....beyond the big hitters like Total War, Football Manager and COH. For those who don't know (and it's probably almost everyone given the sales) last month Sega released one of their formerly console-exclusive Sonic games on steam, with a promise of more backlog titles in the future.

This title, Sonic Lost World, hasn't seemed to have done very well. Steam spy claims to be inaccurate under 30000 copies, but SLW has been hovering around a whopping 4-6000 copies sold for weeks now. Mind you, this was with a reduced price of $30 and a free copy of the excellent Sonic All Stars Transformed as a pre-order bonus.

I'm wondering how Sega will take these pathetic sales and how that will affect their future ports. Sure, nobody asked for this game on steam, but even with mediocre to poor reviews it managed to sell over 700000 on the WiiU/3DS. Any thoughts/hypothesis/news?

undeadgoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 undeadgoon
Member since 2006 • 706 Posts

they need to release a new streets of rage or golden axe...

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Considering Sonic Lost World isn't a good game, should those sales really be a surprise?

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

well they have to ask the marketing dept a bunch of questions such as; what was the audience for the game, casual, hardcore, age, etc? if only a few pc gamers knew about it why is that? how many copies were they hoping to sell realistically on pc and how was that base figure arrived at? what has been the performance of sonic titles generally on pc? what proportion of the target audience use a particular platform eg is series better suited commercially for tablets, laptops etc.

once they have the answers to those questions then they can develop a strategy to price development within reason, target advertising and promotion as needed while selling the game at a competitive price.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5  Edited By Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

Is there any evidence that the sales figures for Sonic: Lost World are actually poor? Neither the Wii U numbers (given the size of the install base) nor the Steam numbers (given that it's a late release into a tertiary market) seem to be bad at all. Sega might have anticipated faster pickup of Wii U hardware sales leading to disappointment with sales there, but I think 30k is about what they expect for a quick Steam re-release.

To me the OPs question feels like it's based on the false premise that the game is actually under performing. And I'm not sure I buy that. So, to answer the question, I don't think it will negatively impact things at all. Sega will keep using the PC as a secondary market for off-loading older games and the world will keep spinning.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58159 Posts

1. Sonic games are terrible

2. While I am sure some people want a Sonic game on PC, it's not really a "PC type of game"; there are a lot of games worthy of porting, Sonic is not one of them. I'm guessing they just outsourced it or had some interns do it.

3. Seriously, what was Sega thinking?

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#7 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

I hope SEGA becomes more open to new IPs in the future. They said, they'll continue to support TW and COH but new IPs are "risky". I hope they'll change their strategy because Relic is very talented studio and should be given a chance to bring something new and ground breaking on the table like they did with Homeworld, Company of Heroes and Dawn of War.

gcfreak898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 gcfreak898
Member since 2003 • 2031 Posts

Sega hasn't been good since the mid 90's. I get it people have some nostalgia with them but, just let it go. I'd rather play age of empires 2 instead of total war series.