This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea1c3432b3bd
deactivated-5ea1c3432b3bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5ea1c3432b3bd
Member since 2007 • 143 Posts
So lately ive been on The Sims 2 Forums Lately, and ive seen members makign massive rants and boycotts all because EA included SecuRom in The Sims 2 Bon Voyage Expansion. Does SecuRom Harm computers in any way?? And does anyone have a complete list of games that inclide SecuRom??
Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Colonel_Cool
Member since 2006 • 1335 Posts
I dont think that SecuRom harms computers, but it just forces you to put in the discs when you want to play the game even though all of the files are installed on your hard drive. Many many games use securom.
fizzlefist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 fizzlefist
Member since 2003 • 38 Posts

SecuROM, specifically, installs itself in your computer's registries (unmentioned in the Sims 2: Bon Voyage EULA) and makes itself hidden and then remains in your machine even after you uninstall the software it came with. Very much like a rootkit.

I have no problem with yer average copy protection software so long as it isn't intrusive, but this one has known issues with disabling disc emulation/burning software such as Alcohol 120% or Nero. It is also known to disable disc drives, printers, USB flash memory and can cause system sluggishness or crashes. These are known issues with SecuROM since before it's inclusion in Bon Voyage.

Some other games that include SecuROM: Bioshock, Armed Assault, Neverwinter Nights 2, Overlord, World in Conflict, Supreme Commander, Command & Conquer 3 and Stalker

The mere fact that it doesn't remove itself upon uninstallation of it's "host" software is illegal and improper. There is no "official" way to remove SecuROM from your system once installed, but computer savvy folkshave come up with a few solutions that involve messing with your registry.

Doest this answer your question?:)

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
Worst thing about it is that pirated versions don't of course have it, so it only annoys the people who actually bought the game.
Nitrous2O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Nitrous2O
Member since 2004 • 1813 Posts

Some other games that include SecuROM: Bioshock, Armed Assault, Neverwinter Nights 2, Overlord, World in Conflict, Supreme Commander, Command & Conquer 3 and Stalkerfizzlefist

STALKER, at least the US version, allows me to play the game without a cd once it has been installed. Another reason I like this game! Good job GSC Gameworld/THQ.

However, I've never had an issue with SecuRom, or copy protection in general.

Except for BioShock, which is a bit overboard requiring an internet connection (checks a master server for "permission" to install) and it's limited allowance on the number of installs.

weirjf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#7 weirjf
Member since 2002 • 2392 Posts
SecuROM forces you to use the disk... but only if you are lazy and not willing to spend the 10 minutes researching how to bypass it.
madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#8 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts
Well, Supreme Commander also had SecuROM disc check patched out since the second patch. And SecuROM has been around for a while without much controversy - certainly not at the levels of StarForce anyway. Also should be noted is the fact that what kicked up the controversy in the case of Bioshock was NOT SecuROM itself - but its online validation feature. 2K has already at one time said this is separate and removable. Personally, copy protection will continue to annoy consumers until they: 1) Make it transparent, so consumers know exactly what they're getting themselves into. 2) Make it universal. It is in people's nature to adapt to the familiar, but currently there is nothing familiar about copy protection in PC games: you have one that requires internet validation, and others that don't. You have one that you have to update or it might mess up your system, and others that don't. It's a mess, and there is zero continuity between title to title. Just as people are starting to get used to one copy protection scheme, another completely different one comes up. 3) Make it easy. Five install limits? Revoke tool? Uninstallation utility for something that should have been uninstalled with the game? Please, just cut the fat.
fizzlefist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 fizzlefist
Member since 2003 • 38 Posts

Have a look as some of the comments from the Slashdot article on the scandal.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
It is a way for game developers to make the lives of legal owners of their software worse. It does nothing to prevent piracy, only complicate the installation process for legal owners.
Alkpaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 95

#11 Alkpaz
Member since 2005 • 2073 Posts

Well, Supreme Commander also had SecuROM disc check patched out since the second patch. And SecuROM has been around for a while without much controversy - certainly not at the levels of StarForce anyway. Also should be noted is the fact that what kicked up the controversy in the case of Bioshock was NOT SecuROM itself - but its online validation feature. 2K has already at one time said this is separate and removable. Personally, copy protection will continue to annoy consumers until they: 1) Make it transparent, so consumers know exactly what they're getting themselves into. 2) Make it universal. It is in people's nature to adapt to the familiar, but currently there is nothing familiar about copy protection in PC games: you have one that requires internet validation, and others that don't. You have one that you have to update or it might mess up your system, and others that don't. It's a mess, and there is zero continuity between title to title. Just as people are starting to get used to one copy protection scheme, another completely different one comes up. 3) Make it easy. Five install limits? Revoke tool? Uninstallation utility for something that should have been uninstalled with the game? Please, just cut the fat.madrocketeer

QFT very well said :)

jsvice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jsvice
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
i just spent 30 bucks on supreme commander ... and the game won't even play because it says i have the wrong disk in.. GPG support says its a secure rom issue...so no i'll just go download the game and use a hack to be able to play it... wow........ and they wonder why there is so much pirating out there... its because THEY treat us like criminals then release shoddy software where to GET what we pay for we HAVE to pirate.... i for one... i think i'm done buying games unless its from stardock... they've proved to me allready they can release quality software without all the paranoid BS.... so EA ... go suck one
Avatar image for themonstershack
themonstershack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 themonstershack
Member since 2004 • 49 Posts

Yeah, it sucks! It probably will kill the PC gaming world!