Season Pass good, bad or indifferent

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Poll Season Pass good, bad or indifferent (23 votes)

Good 13%
Bad 70%
Indifferent 17%

i think that on the whole the idea of a season pass in games is good thing, you get all the dlc at a cheaper price in most games, although the system can be explioted by developers to give the impression that they are giving a good deal.

what says the community more games with seaon pass, scrap the system, or dont care.

• 
pug987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1 pug987
Member since 2005 • 460 Posts

DLC are bad for the consumer. That said Season Pass is a double edge sword. On one hand you do get all the dlc cheaper and you can get season passes on key re-sellers so you can get them even cheaper, whereas individual dlc are rarely discounted. On the other hand, if you buy a season pass before all dlc are released you may be in for a nasty surprise if the dlc suck or devs try to pass things that are little more than mods as dlc (looking at you Bethesda). Worst of all are the companies that release dlc outside the season pass. That really makes you feel cheated if you've bought the pass.

My personal opinion is that season passes usually are for the better if you get them when all of the dlc have been released. Even better would be if all dlc were free and devs only released a couple high quality and full of content expansions, like CD Projekt Red did with Witcher 3.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58898 Posts

If they explain before hand exactly what it is, then I guess it's ok.

But these ones where you basically have to sit and "hope", it isn't useless crap, are essenailly a Russian Roulette.

I mean, I barely purchase them, but if I dropped £22, just to find, instead of high quality content is was useless multiplayer maps, skins or microtransaction boosts (i.e. nothing) I'd be pissed.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#3 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17803 Posts

Voted BAD because it allows developers to be lazy. Giving them money upfront and not knowing if the content is going to be any good is not a good practice. They should prove themselves with the DLC content and then offer a package deal at a later date. They can also give the last expansion free for those who already paid for the others.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

all I know is I miss the days of proper expansions packs. DLC can be good if it is done well, but for the most part I dislike how common and expected it has become. I mean, make the game, put all your energy and resources into it. If it sells well, then go ahead and make some DLC for it...from a quality perspective, I view planned season passes for games as holding stuff back from the original product. Not good for the consumer.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Bad. It almost like they can claim it a season pass but all it is, is a patch. Take ED with horizons that should have been part of the game not another season pass.

lucidique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 150

#6 lucidique
Member since 2003 • 791 Posts

It's on a case by case basis. As long as the vanilla product has enough content for it's original price tag. Some games got it right, Borderlands 2 comes to mind. Games like Titanfall shipped with so little to play on that the developers had to make the season pass free after a year just to keep the player base healthy.

There does seem to be a shift for season pass and dlc from vital pieces like maps and guns and vehicles to aesthetic items like skins and models. I feel this makes more sense in the long run. It does not fragment your player base and the players that likes to buy skin, tend to buy plenty.

Vote with your wallet!

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts
@BassMan said:

Voted BAD because it allows developers to be lazy. Giving them money upfront and not knowing if the content is going to be any good is not a good practice. They should prove themselves with the DLC content and then offer a package deal at a later date. They can also give the last expansion free for those who already paid for the others.

+1

And this also refers to pre ordering games.

CommandoAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8  Edited By CommandoAgent
Member since 2005 • 1703 Posts

I am in different of them but the season passes should cost less. And some of these season passes have being stupid.