Samsung AutoMotion...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

drummer131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 0

#1 drummer131
Member since 2004 • 3210 Posts

Under this setting, what's the difference between Clear, Normal, and Smooth? I tried to discern the difference myself but I couldn't see any changes whatsoever. I thought putting a fast action scene on the screen would help me out, but to no avail. So what's the deal with this?

jesseandnikki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#2 jesseandnikki
Member since 2004 • 4834 Posts
Try watching a movie with CGI...like Transformers. At our Best Buy the Automotion on the Samsung LED makes the CGI look extremely fake, as if it took out a filter or something. I'm not sure which setting it's on though. Hope that helps.
Marka1700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Marka1700
Member since 2003 • 7500 Posts
If it were me I would turn it off if it gave the option to.
drummer131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#4 drummer131
Member since 2004 • 3210 Posts
If it were me I would turn it off if it gave the option to.Marka1700
Okay...but what's the point of 120hz if you're turning off the option for it to do its thing? Or is the AutoMotion something else entirely? All I've watched on the TV so far is clips of the second Matrix movie and Advent Children Complete. Both looked just fine on Normal.
monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 monson21502
Member since 2009 • 8230 Posts
[QUOTE="Marka1700"]If it were me I would turn it off if it gave the option to.drummer131
Okay...but what's the point of 120hz if you're turning off the option for it to do its thing? Or is the AutoMotion something else entirely? All I've watched on the TV so far is clips of the second Matrix movie and Advent Children Complete. Both looked just fine on Normal.

i leave mine on for everything. even when playing games. i dont notice any lag or other things people say it causes. only thing i dont understand is why goes to 24 p hz when you watch blu rays
enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5559 Posts

i say leave it on....

consider it like this:

clear = light application with low settings

standard = normal application with settings at 5 and 5

smooth =high applicaiton with settings tweaked

i tried manually tweaking but i really didnt know if i was making things better or worse... so i just keep it at standard for all applications... and me likes.... I also set the picture to standard and bump up the brightness to 55... this looks great for the ps3

120hz give movies a surreal sense.... movies start looking like sets and cgi looks placed... some people dont like it but i cant get enuff, im watching all my old blus again.... i say keep the setting and let hollywood make the adjustments

watching the orig Day of the Dead on blu turned all my zombies into a bunch of actors with make-up... hahahaa

NiHM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NiHM
Member since 2002 • 194 Posts

[QUOTE="Marka1700"]If it were me I would turn it off if it gave the option to.drummer131

120 Hz and Automotion are 2 different things. Your display always operates at 120 Hz. Automotion is frame interpolation software that is supposed to help eliminate motion blur. I prefer to leave it turned off on my LN52A650. Some people like what it does to the image, and others such as myself, feel that it ruins the image by imparting it with a completely unnatural effect. A side effect of it is that it negates the benefit of 24p playback on blu-ray. For me that is reason enough to leave it turned off.

rastan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 rastan
Member since 2003 • 1405 Posts
If you want to see movies as Hollywood intended, leave it off. If you want your movies to look like Days of our Lives, leave it on.