This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Tezcatlipoca666
Member since 2006 • 7241 Posts

So apparently some researchers have found a way to drastically increase the storage capacity of mechanical hard drives. If true we can expect HDD's to stay around even longer and be used along side SSD's for years to come. Data centers may also reconsider an eventual switch to SSD.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2011/10/researchers-increase-hard-drive-density-sixfold-with-salt.ars?comments=1#comments-bar

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Still can't fill my 320gb hdd :(
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

Still can't fill my 320gb hdd :(MonsieurX

I am currently using 599GB of my 1.5TB harddrive.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
Didn't WD recently get 3TB/inch^2? That could give you about 30tb per platter.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Give me dese HDs naow. Then I can abuse "unlimited" cloud storage even moar.

Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Tezcatlipoca666

Didn't WD recently get 3TB/inch^2? That could give you about 30tb per platter.markop2003

Dunno. Do you have a link?

Either way 18TB is stupidly high :lol:

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="markop2003"]Didn't WD recently get 3TB/inch^2? That could give you about 30tb per platter.Tezcatlipoca666

Not really I use like 4tb on my serva, 10x500 hds in RAID 6. I NEED MOAR POWAAAAA Actually I want less drivers, I get a failure like every 2-3 months.
IcyToasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 IcyToasters
Member since 2007 • 12476 Posts

My HDD on my desktop is like 80GB :lol:

I do have like 70GB used though...

Good news for me because I can make a cheap HDD upgrade soon I guess? C:

Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Tezcatlipoca666

IcyToasters

Well a 500GB HDD is only about $40 now. I honestly do not know how you can get by with only 80GB :P

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#10 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="IcyToasters"]

Tezcatlipoca666

Well a 500GB HDD is only about $40 now. I honestly do not know how you can get by with only 80GB :P

Me neither. :P I just plowed through my 1TB. I think I'll be getting a 2TB next.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts
[QUOTE="Tezcatlipoca666"]

[QUOTE="IcyToasters"]

Elann2008

Me neither. :P I just plowed through my 1TB. I think I'll be getting a 2TB next.

I had a 640GB, by the end of the first year I was already starting to consider another drive. Now I have a 1TB as well i should be fine for a while.
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
I really hope we convert over to SSDs soon. HDDs are too prone to failure, easy to damage, very slow, generate lots of heat and noise, and pose enormous privacy risks. SSDs have none of these drawbacks. As soon as 500GB SSDs come out at an affordable price I'm ditching HDDs altogether.
Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Tezcatlipoca666

I really hope we convert over to SSDs soon. HDDs are too prone to failure, easy to damage, very slow, generate lots of heat and noise, and pose enormous privacy risks. SSDs have none of these drawbacks. As soon as 500GB SSDs come out at an affordable price I'm ditching HDDs altogether.gameguy6700

Well, all hardware, SSD's included, are prone to failure. I have several old hard drives that are still working fine. Desktop = 6 years and old laptop = 4 years. HDD's with data density of 18TB wouldn't be slow (although still not close to SSD performance). HDD's produce little heat in comparison to most of the other hardware in your PC so I don't really see how that is an issue. I think that most people will transition to having an SSD and an HDD. SSD for OS and applications and HDD for files, especially media like movies, music, photos.

Btw what is the privacy risk? Are you referring to the fact that data can be recovered if you do not wipe the drive?

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JigglyWiggly_

I really hope we convert over to SSDs soon. HDDs are too prone to failure, easy to damage, very slow, generate lots of heat and noise, and pose enormous privacy risks. SSDs have none of these drawbacks. As soon as 500GB SSDs come out at an affordable price I'm ditching HDDs altogether.gameguy6700
Privacy risks? If anything SSDs are more of a privacy risk since the SSD controllers don't play nice with Truecrypt. I don't think HDs are going anywhere for a long time, but I do want a SSD for a boot drive. I'd like a 1tb SSD in my laptop, but that's like a gillion dollars. I think hybrid hard drives ar are the future, the seagate momentus in my latop with only 4gb of swap cache really flies over other laptop hds.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 gameguy6700

[QUOTE="gameguy6700"]I really hope we convert over to SSDs soon. HDDs are too prone to failure, easy to damage, very slow, generate lots of heat and noise, and pose enormous privacy risks. SSDs have none of these drawbacks. As soon as 500GB SSDs come out at an affordable price I'm ditching HDDs altogether.Tezcatlipoca666

Well, all hardware, SSD's included, are prone to failure. I have several old hard drives that are still working fine. Desktop = 6 years and old laptop = 4 years. HDD's with data density of 18TB wouldn't be slow (although still not close to SSD performance). HDD's produce little heat in comparison to most of the other hardware in your PC so I don't really see how that is an issue. I think that most people will transition to having an SSD and an HDD. SSD for OS and applications and HDD for files, especially media like movies, music, photos.

Btw what is the privacy risk? Are you referring to the fact that data can be recovered if you do not wipe the drive?

While it's true that every component can fail, HDDs are probably the most failure-prone components in a computer (except for fans) thanks to the fact that they have moving parts and rely on a very fragile mechanism to read data. While it's true that HDDs don't produce anywhere near the same amount of heat as a GPU or CPU, they still do produce heat and in laptops it is actually pretty noticeable (my P7811FX gets pretty hot where I put my wrists since that's where the HDDs are). The privacy risk is that data is very hard to erase on an HDD unless you do multiple passes. SSDs are better because with TRIM enabled data is immediately wiped off the drive the instant it's deleted. Completely irrecoverable, no need to wipe. While what JigglyWiggly said is true about SSDs and Truecrypt not getting along, that's only if you're using a hidden OS/partition. A normal full disk encryption setup is still just as secure as on an HDD. Also, even if you do use the hidden partition feature on an SSD the only reason it's not as safe is because an attacker could use wear leveling to figure out if there's a hidden partition or not. Thing is, that's really hard and expensive to do, and unless you're trying to hide data from intelligence agencies it's not really worth worrying over.
IcyToasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 IcyToasters
Member since 2007 • 12476 Posts

Elann2008

Well, I don't have too many games and don't keep them all installed, I buy all my music on CDs, and don't have any movies on my computer.

But I do run close to 80GB a lot and would like to not have to worry about it. :P

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kraken2109

[QUOTE="gameguy6700"]I really hope we convert over to SSDs soon. HDDs are too prone to failure, easy to damage, very slow, generate lots of heat and noise, and pose enormous privacy risks. SSDs have none of these drawbacks. As soon as 500GB SSDs come out at an affordable price I'm ditching HDDs altogether.gameguy6700

While it's true that every component can fail, HDDs are probably the most failure-prone components in a computer (except for fans) thanks to the fact that they have moving parts and rely on a very fragile mechanism to read data. While it's true that HDDs don't produce anywhere near the same amount of heat as a GPU or CPU, they still do produce heat and in laptops it is actually pretty noticeable (my P7811FX gets pretty hot where I put my wrists since that's where the HDDs are). The privacy risk is that data is very hard to erase on an HDD unless you do multiple passes. SSDs are better because with TRIM enabled data is immediately wiped off the drive the instant it's deleted. Completely irrecoverable, no need to wipe. While what JigglyWiggly said is true about SSDs and Truecrypt not getting along, that's only if you're using a hidden OS/partition. A normal full disk encryption setup is still just as secure as on an HDD. Also, even if you do use the hidden partition feature on an SSD the only reason it's not as safe is because an attacker could use wear leveling to figure out if there's a hidden partition or not. Thing is, that's really hard and expensive to do, and unless you're trying to hide data from intelligence agencies it's not really worth worrying over.

Laptop hard drives get hot, I wouldn't say that desktops do. My drives are at 25, 22 and 21 degrees each right now in a 20 degree room.
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GummiRaccoon

IcyToasters

I think I had an 80 gig drive in 2001?

How big is windows? That's gotta be at least 25% of your space?

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Nuu, no moar HDD, no moarz! Lol, I dont need the space, I need the speed! Whats the point having all the TBs in the world if its going to take a century to move the files to another hdd/computer. I suppose theres raid, but just when about warming up to ssd.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JigglyWiggly_

Nuu, no moar HDD, no moarz! Lol, I dont need the space, I need the speed! Whats the point having all the TBs in the world if its going to take a century to move the files to another hdd/computer. I suppose theres raid, but just when about warming up to ssd.

Bikouchu35
For big stoage.
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gameguy6700

IcyToasters
How do you live with an 80GB HDD? I mean, you realize that there are thumbdrives out there bigger than your HDD, right? And that a single double layered blu-ray disc is almost as big as your HDD? HDDs are already dirt cheap too. My 1TB drive costs $60, and if you don't need that much space you can get a 500GB drive for like $45. Unfortunately you can't really go lower than that these days since the only drives smaller than that tend to be extremely expensive industrial solutions unfit for use in a PC.
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="IcyToasters"]

gameguy6700

How do you live with an 80GB HDD? I mean, you realize that there are thumbdrives out there bigger than your HDD, right? And that a single double layered blu-ray disc is almost as big as your HDD? HDDs are already dirt cheap too. My 1TB drive costs $60, and if you don't need that much space you can get a 500GB drive for like $45. Unfortunately you can't really go lower than that these days since the only drives smaller than that tend to be extremely expensive industrial solutions unfit for use in a PC.

links to an 80GB thumbdrive plz

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gameguy6700
[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"] [QUOTE="gameguy6700"][QUOTE="IcyToasters"] My HDD on my desktop is like 80GB :lol: I do have like 70GB used though... Good news for me because I can make a cheap HDD upgrade soon I guess? C:

I don't know of one in an 80GB size since they usually increase in size by powers of two. But here's some 128GB drives: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220406http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820709012http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220585http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139568
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"] [QUOTE="gameguy6700"] How do you live with an 80GB HDD? I mean, you realize that there are thumbdrives out there bigger than your HDD, right? And that a single double layered blu-ray disc is almost as big as your HDD? HDDs are already dirt cheap too. My 1TB drive costs $60, and if you don't need that much space you can get a 500GB drive for like $45. Unfortunately you can't really go lower than that these days since the only drives smaller than that tend to be extremely expensive industrial solutions unfit for use in a PC.gameguy6700

I don't know of one in an 80GB size since they usually increase in size by powers of two. But here's some 128GB drives: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220406http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820709012http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220585http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139568

lol I misread your post, I don't know why I thought you said there were 80GB thumdrives, but yeah, I have a 16GB drive(cost like 20 bucks or whatever), which is gettting pretty close to that guys harddrive size.

msfan1289

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 msfan1289
Member since 2011 • 1044 Posts

[QUOTE="markop2003"]Didn't WD recently get 3TB/inch^2? That could give you about 30tb per platter.JigglyWiggly_

Not really I use like 4tb on my serva, 10x500 hds in RAID 6. I NEED MOAR POWAAAAA Actually I want less drivers, I get a failure like every 2-3 months.

wait wait wait what drives are those HDD? i just got one WD Black 1TB less than a month and i got a smart error, and befre that i got 3 WD Black 650GB drives in April. im scared now becuase 2 of the drive are stripped together. :?

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JigglyWiggly_
A combo of WD blacks and blues.
msfan1289

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 msfan1289
Member since 2011 • 1044 Posts

A combo of WD blacks and blues.JigglyWiggly_
im scared now

fishing666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 fishing666
Member since 2004 • 2113 Posts
i use both ssd and hdd.i got 4.5terabytes from 3hdds and a 80gig ssd. i might need a bigger ssd soon as i install more programs and games to it. the future is definitely 250-500gb ssds with 3-5terabyte drives being extra storage space for movies/games/installation files/
istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#29 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts
I think by 2020 HDDs will be about as common as tape drives... What good is all the storage in the world if it's slow and unreliable? I've went through over 10TB of HDDs and these days I don't feel comfortable unless I have a backup of the backup.
Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Tezcatlipoca666

I think by 2020 HDDs will be about as common as tape drives... What good is all the storage in the world if it's slow and unreliable? I've went through over 10TB of HDDs and these days I don't feel comfortable unless I have a backup of the backup.istuffedsunny

Tapes are still used quite extensively for backups...

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JigglyWiggly_
I think by 2020 HDDs will be about as common as tape drives... What good is all the storage in the world if it's slow and unreliable? I've went through over 10TB of HDDs and these days I don't feel comfortable unless I have a backup of the backup.istuffedsunny
That's what abusing unlimited cloud storage is for.
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="istuffedsunny"]I think by 2020 HDDs will be about as common as tape drives... What good is all the storage in the world if it's slow and unreliable? I've went through over 10TB of HDDs and these days I don't feel comfortable unless I have a backup of the backup.Tezcatlipoca666

Tapes are still used quite extensively for backups...

^ This

Tapes are as common as they used to be.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kraken2109
[QUOTE="istuffedsunny"]I think by 2020 HDDs will be about as common as tape drives... What good is all the storage in the world if it's slow and unreliable? I've went through over 10TB of HDDs and these days I don't feel comfortable unless I have a backup of the backup.JigglyWiggly_

Some of us don't want to leave our PCs on and ruin our internet connections for like 3 months straight.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="gameguy6700"][QUOTE="Tezcatlipoca666"]

kraken2109

Laptop hard drives get hot, I wouldn't say that desktops do. My drives are at 25, 22 and 21 degrees each right now in a 20 degree room.

That's actually too low, go read the google case study. optimal is 38-45c.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"][QUOTE="istuffedsunny"]I think by 2020 HDDs will be about as common as tape drives... What good is all the storage in the world if it's slow and unreliable? I've went through over 10TB of HDDs and these days I don't feel comfortable unless I have a backup of the backup.kraken2109

Some of us don't want to leave our PCs on and ruin our internet connections for like 3 months straight.

Oh yeah, it will slow your Internet. Luckily I have 2 modems hooked up on my router at home. So I just make the upload go on one of em. Alternatively you can put an upload cap, eliminating most of the slowdown.

Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#36 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

128GB FLASHDRIVES??!

DO WANT.

Wow, I only have a 16 right now. I mean that's great and all but imagine telling people when they ask, "Hey how much space do you have on your flashdrive?"

"Well like 110Gb free at the moment." "Ohooho. I don't know it just seems awesome but an utter waste of $200+ as well. At least for me :P

Alienware_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Alienware_fan
Member since 2010 • 1514 Posts

That didnt work for me wth?? Whats the right way of doing it?

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 kraken2109

[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"] That's what abusing unlimited cloud storage is for.JigglyWiggly_

Oh yeah, it will slow your Internet. Luckily I have 2 modems hooked up on my router at home. So I just make the upload go on one of em. Alternatively you can put an upload cap, eliminating most of the slowdown.

Would limiting the upload stop it ruining your ping?
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 kraken2109

[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="gameguy6700"] While it's true that every component can fail, HDDs are probably the most failure-prone components in a computer (except for fans) thanks to the fact that they have moving parts and rely on a very fragile mechanism to read data. While it's true that HDDs don't produce anywhere near the same amount of heat as a GPU or CPU, they still do produce heat and in laptops it is actually pretty noticeable (my P7811FX gets pretty hot where I put my wrists since that's where the HDDs are). The privacy risk is that data is very hard to erase on an HDD unless you do multiple passes. SSDs are better because with TRIM enabled data is immediately wiped off the drive the instant it's deleted. Completely irrecoverable, no need to wipe. While what JigglyWiggly said is true about SSDs and Truecrypt not getting along, that's only if you're using a hidden OS/partition. A normal full disk encryption setup is still just as secure as on an HDD. Also, even if you do use the hidden partition feature on an SSD the only reason it's not as safe is because an attacker could use wear leveling to figure out if there's a hidden partition or not. Thing is, that's really hard and expensive to do, and unless you're trying to hide data from intelligence agencies it's not really worth worrying over.JigglyWiggly_

That's actually too low, go read the google case study. optimal is 38-45c.

Well how do you suggest i warm them up? Put them in a cosy sock? :P

I guess it's the intake fan blowing right on them.

Baselerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#40 Baselerd
Member since 2003 • 5104 Posts

I still think the average user would benefit more from the increased speed of SSD's, not so much higher capacity. Once SSD's become more affordable, that is...

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 kraken2109

I still think the average user would benefit more from the increased speed of SSD's, not so much higher capacity. Once SSD's become more affordable, that is...

Baselerd

Well i'd rather have a fast HDD like a spinpoint F3 at 4p per GB than a fast SSD at like £1.50 per GB.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 JigglyWiggly_
[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]

[QUOTE="kraken2109"] Some of us don't want to leave our PCs on and ruin our internet connections for like 3 months straight.kraken2109

Would limiting the upload stop it ruining your ping?

Yeah it would.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts
so they taste better too?