This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bishop1310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Bishop1310
Member since 2007 • 1274 Posts

Thinking about getting one of them. Rust seems fun with a few people or group of people.. I have a few friends who play so could be fun.. Day Z seems like it would be exciting even going solo and a group of people is just a plus..

Anyone play both? which should I get?

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2 cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts

Rust by a mile. dayz is a mess right now, and incredibly not fun to play thanks to all of the issues. plus, there just isnt anything to do. you just wander around looking for food. there is no sense of purpose at all.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Rust's a bust but DayZ is CrayZ

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

I've played Rust with a friend and I was in love with the gameplay.

DayZ seems to have only 1 way to progress while Rust have all that gather stuff and make houses and weapons and ammo - it's a bit more complex but way fun.

Bishop1310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Bishop1310
Member since 2007 • 1274 Posts

cool thanks guys. Rust being cheaper helps a but too ;) haha

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By KHAndAnime
@cyloninside said:

@KHAndAnime said:

good thing your opinion isnt valued -at all- on these forums.

Big mouth for a guy with only 39 posts. I have more people subscribed to my posts than you have posts on the forum lol.

I honestly don't think Rust is a bad game, I just prefer the DayZ experience.

IvanElk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 IvanElk
Member since 2008 • 3798 Posts

Its really asking how realistic do you want your survival game. Dayz, in my opinon, has much more depth to it than rust. Though again it gets old spending 20 minutes traveling to a big city.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 KHAndAnime

@IvanElk said:

Its really asking how realistic do you want your survival game. Dayz, in my opinon, has much more depth to it than rust. Though again it gets old spending 20 minutes traveling to a big city.

Plus, people who were playing Rust really just wanted DayZ anyways. Quotes from Steam comments on the latest Rust patch, which removed Zombies...

"Zombie's BACK. It's awful idea to remove them. Only think animals with the backpacks with items. It's idiotism. PLZ Add Zombie's OR MONEY BACK"

"Either you add the Zombie or return my money I bought to play only with the zombie"

"why?!!! you ruined a beautiful game!"

"okay if you guys have removed Zombies i well have my money back plz fast so"

"Give us back the Zombies!!!!!"

"I buy a ZOMBIE survival game!"

It's too good to make up. There are 90+ pages of comments like these.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

They both look like sweet games, but I find them more fun to watch. I have not picked up any of them yet. Both look to incomplete right now for my taste.

Croag821

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Croag821
Member since 2009 • 2331 Posts

They are both pretty different games.

Rust has more of an arcade game feel as it is faster paced, it also has resource gathering and extensive crafting. The PvP resembles something along the lines of counter strike. The map is going to be more crowded and fights are easier to find (assuming your on a populated server). I'd suggest you play with friends or make them, solo is tough in Rust.

DayZ is more of a simulator where the PvP resembles realism. There is very little crafting, the map is large and players are spread out, but it has much deeper injury/food systems. It's a slower paced game overall with more of a realistic feel. Also you are right DayZ is more solo friendly.

Also note both games are still in alpha and will probably change a lot over the next couple of years.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

A lot of my friends play Rust... looks boring to me but I can sort of see the appeal.

Although they keep telling me to get it so we can just shoot everyone since we are all fps pro's and they already have all the gear to give me... so it's kinda tempting

Dayz is just garbo though.

Not really a big fan of killing defenseless players, that's like killing lvl 0's in an open combat mmorpg as a level 60.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

Rust is no longer a Zombie survival game so you can't really compare them anymore.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By KHAndAnime

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

A lot of my friends play Rust... looks boring to me but I can sort of see the appeal.

Although they keep telling me to get it so we can just shoot everyone since we are all fps pro's and they already have all the gear to give me... so it's kinda tempting

Not really a big fan of killing defenseless players, that's like killing lvl 0's in an open combat mmorpg as a level 60.

Why would you go after defensless players anyways? Is going after armed players too scary for you?

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JigglyWiggly_

@KHAndAnime said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

Why would you go after defensless players anyways? Is going after armed players too scary for you?

huh? it's shoot everyone you see

like playing ffa but grouping up

in chivalry ffa that was hilarious

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By KHAndAnime

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

Lol...you do know the objective of the game isn't necessarily to shoot everyone you see...

If it's not fun to go after defenseless players - why do you feel the need to be a wimp and do it anyways? Nobody's forcing you to chase unarmed players...

Why not learn how to hunt dangerous bandit snipers or something? Or is anything more than FFA is little too creative for you? :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

it does more than dayZ currently does, and is played by more people.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 KHAndAnime

@MBirdy88 said:

@KHAndAnime said:

it does more than dayZ currently does, and is played by more people.

That's arguable. You could say more people have been playing it concurrently lately. Or I could argue that DayZ has sold a shit ton more copies than Rust and obviously has more players (they just don't play all at once).

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JigglyWiggly_

@KHAndAnime said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

Lol...you do know the objective of the game isn't necessarily to shoot everyone you see...

If it's not fun to go after defenseless players - why do you feel the need to be a wimp and do it anyways? Nobody's forcing you to chase unarmed players...

Why not learn how to hunt dangerous bandit snipers or something? Or is anything more than FFA is little too creative for you? :P

Team ffa*

was just going to do w/e they do http://www.twitch.tv/immuneone/b/500360371?t=85m40s

all the tribe comp players are team stacking too hard

although it still looks pretty boring, but dayz seems even worse

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By KHAndAnime

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

Team ffa*

was just going to do w/e they do http://www.twitch.tv/immuneone/b/500360371?t=85m40s

DayZ, like a lot of sandbox games, depend a lot on the player's imagination in order for there to be fun. Trying to single-handedly take down squads of bandits in DayZ requires a lot tactics and skill than ganking newbs with team mates in Rust. If you're so good at FPS games, why not pursue challenges? It's rewarding killing other players in DayZ, unlike Rust where you just get everything from your team mates when you die anyways.

Being a lone wolf, DayZ is way more appealing to me because there's little I can't accomplish by myself. Rust is just some nerdy butt-buddy fest. Really unoriginal too - considering it began as a literal DayZ clone. And way too hardcore for me - you have to constantly be playing to make any progress (people destroy your shit if you log out). Any game that requires my constant attention, even when you're not playing = no go.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#22  Edited By Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

There are some funny and mildly entertaining Rust videos on Youtube. You should check them out just for fun; not to determine the value and the appeal of the game. I cannot comment about Rust because I have never played it. On the other hand, DayZ is pretty fantastic if you plan to play it with a group of friends. The lone-wolf gameplay style in DayZ isn't for me but that may be right up your alley. If you're into both, more power to you. Cheers.

n00bkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 n00bkid
Member since 2006 • 4163 Posts

Dayz controls are annoying. I would go with Rust for the time being.

gunmaster55555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By gunmaster55555
Member since 2009 • 712 Posts

@KHAndAnime:

@KHAndAnime said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

Team ffa*

DayZ, like a lot of sandbox games, depend a lot on the player's imagination in order for there to be fun. Trying to single-handedly take down squads of bandits in DayZ requires a lot tactics and skill than ganking newbs with team mates in Rust. If you're so good at FPS games, why not pursue challenges? It's rewarding killing other players in DayZ, unlike Rust where you just get everything from your team mates when you die anyways.

Being a lone wolf, DayZ is way more appealing to me because there's little I can't accomplish by myself. Rust is just some nerdy butt-buddy fest. Really unoriginal too - considering it began as a literal DayZ clone. And way too hardcore for me - you have to constantly be playing to make any progress (people destroy your shit if you log out). Any game that requires my constant attention, even when you're not playing = no go.

lol someone seems a little butt hurt about rust for some reason. It's a fun game, you either haven't played it or if you did you played on shitty servers. Best servers to play on (to avoid getting raided EVERY time you log off) is to play servers with no C4. C4 servers where you can craft it are dumb, I would agree with you on that. Take that out and the game is a hell of a lot more fun.

Sounds to me you just aren't very good at games that require a little skill :/.

Lombardee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Lombardee
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I've not played either yet (soon! need new comp!), but enjoy watching them a lot. Seems they have far less in common now than they first did. DayZ more complicated and Rust more savage.

Croag821

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Croag821

@cyloninside said:

@KHAndAnime said:
@cyloninside said:

@KHAndAnime said:

Big mouth for a guy with only 39 posts. I have more people subscribed to my posts than you have posts on the forum lol.

small dick for a guy with 12k+ posts...

i take it you measure your life worth based on how many facebook friends you have? LOL...

@gunmaster55555 said:

lol someone seems a little butt hurt about rust for some reason. It's a fun game, you either haven't played it or if you did you played on shitty servers. Best servers to play on (to avoid getting raided EVERY time you log off) is to play servers with no C4. C4 servers where you can craft it are dumb, I would agree with you on that. Take that out and the game is a hell of a lot more fun.

Reply to someones opinion by attacking them personally...you guys are sure know how to have a discussion and not turn things into a flame war...

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts

@Croag821 said:

@cyloninside said:

@KHAndAnime said:
@cyloninside said:

@KHAndAnime said:

i take it you measure your life worth based on how many facebook friends you have? LOL...

@gunmaster55555 said:

Reply to someones opinion by attacking them personally...you guys are sure know how to have a discussion and not turn things into a flame war...

let me point you to "Big mouth for a guy with only 39 posts."

he started it. its classic KH posting strategy. "NUH UUUUUUH! MY OPINION IS THE ONLY ONE THAT IS RIGHT"

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By KHAndAnime
@Croag821 said:

Rust fanboys are insanely insecure about people disliking their game. They're practically foaming at the mouth lol. Are they that mad that they're playing a game that lives in DayZ's shadow? (I mean, quite literally, this game was developed from the start to be a DayZ clone in case Rocket didn't make his game...)

No, I haven't played a lot of Rust. I haven't bought it - only played it at a friend's. It's not a very appealing game to me. I like games that encourage lone-wolf gameplay, I'm not much of a bro-gamer who likes to constantly be playing with other gamers. I like to play with my brother, my girlfriend, a few friends, that's about it. Rust appeared to be a much easier game than DayZ for the time I spent with it anyways - difficulty of the game has nothing to do with why I'm not a fan. Like I said - don't think it's bad - I just like games that are equally fun being played alone - and Rust is clearly NOT one of those games.

Croag821

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Croag821

@cyloninside said:

@Croag821 said:

@cyloninside said:

@KHAndAnime said:
@cyloninside said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@gunmaster55555 said:

let me point you to "Big mouth for a guy with only 39 posts."

he started it. its classic KH posting strategy. "NUH UUUUUUH! MY OPINION IS THE ONLY ONE THAT IS RIGHT"

He said that after you said "good thing your opinion isnt valued -at all- on these forums."

It doesn't really matter though my point was just that starting a personal flame war isn't necessary.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

DayZ Mod > Standalone > Rust... Arma 2 Wasteland is better than all of them

cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

I think games like Rust and Day-Z are extremely ambitious in scope. But I also think they're the sort of games that get released in an 'alpha' state (pretty much permanently alpha) and never really get enough work/man hours spent on them to vastly improve to their full potential. 2-3 years later you'd return to them and think "Yeah it's better, but no where near as good as it could be." If I was a developer I would ditch the pre-release, killing all anticipation and only release a game when it's well and truly done.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By KHAndAnime

@cyborg100000 said:

I think games like Rust and Day-Z are extremely ambitious in scope. But I also think they're the sort of games that get released in an 'alpha' state (pretty much permanently alpha) and never really get enough work/man hours spent on them to vastly improve to their full potential. 2-3 years later you'd return to them and think "Yeah it's better, but no where near as good as it could be." If I was a developer I would ditch the pre-release, killing all anticipation and only release a game when it's well and truly done.

These games have seen massive amounts of improvements since their launches. They have only been in alpha state for a few months. So to say they will never leave alpha is absolutely ridiculous - they'll be out of alpha within a year or so - which is no slower of a rate than games are normally developed at.

I don't trust developers to make games by themselves behind closed doors. They literally NEED the community to tell them what to do.