Rumor: Windows 9 to be unvieled Sept. 30

• 46 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JDWolfie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JDWolfie
Member since 2007 • 1952 Posts

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2597567/why-microsoft-needs-to-reveal-windows-9-sooner-than-later-the-end-of-windows-7.html

Also, at the end of October, you won't be able to buy new PC's running Windows 7 anymore. What are your thoughts? Will Windows 9 be here next spring or do you think it is all BS and hype? And for people who just bought Windows 8, will you now upgrade to Windows 9 so soon (if it comes out next year)? I will probably just stick with Windows 8 until my computer craps out.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

This belongs in the PC section.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3  Edited By chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

Am hoping Windows 9 turns out well, it's looked promising from the rumors so far. Hopefully it doesn't move to a subscription model and doesn't go too heavily into the cloud. Also glad it's moving away from that awful "metro" interface - it's absolute garbage.

@airshocker said:

Isn't this also an OT thread though since it's not necessarily related to gaming?

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

I've only just gotten windows 8 too, and starting to like it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@chessmaster1989 said:

Am hoping Windows 9 turns out well, it's looked promising from the rumors so far. Hopefully it doesn't move to a subscription model and doesn't go too heavily into the cloud. Also glad it's moving away from that awful "metro" interface - it's absolute garbage.

@airshocker said:

Isn't this also an OT thread though since it's not necessarily related to gaming?

Nah man. All PC stuff belongs in the PC and MAC section.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#6 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

But I just upgraded to Windows 8.....

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@korvus said:

But I just upgraded to Windows 8.....

Bad move, hondo. You'll get a coupon for a free upgrade to 9.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@airshocker: I hope so, since I've read somewhere that from now on MS is planning on discontinuing support for older OS as soon as they release a new one.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@korvus said:

@airshocker: I hope so, since I've read somewhere that from now on MS is planning on discontinuing support for older OS as soon as they release a new one.

I think they're only discontinuing support for 8. 7 is still being supported. Strongly. They know which side their butter is on.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@airshocker: I hope 9 is decent...when I hear a MS representative saying that one of the biggest selling points is that the menus will be like 7 (after all that talk about how Win 8's menus would revolutionise the world...)

I mean, I actually ended up getting used to Metro interface; it's quite handy for some things, but I don't really care if it goes back. It's the fact that they are launching a new OS and their advertisement is centered around menus...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@korvus said:

@airshocker: I hope 9 is decent...when I hear a MS representative saying that one of the biggest selling points is that the menus will be like 7 (after all that talk about how Win 8's menus would revolutionise the world...)

I mean, I actually ended up getting used to Metro interface; it's quite handy for some things, but I don't really care if it goes back. It's the fact that they are launching a new OS and their advertisement is centered around menus...

It's centered around what makes 7 better than 8. Menus are definitely part of it. A focus on PC users instead of tablet users is another one of them. 9 will most likely be decent. XP was awesome, then Vista sucked. 7 was the best, then 8 completely blew it. That SHOULD mean that 9 will be fantastic.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@airshocker: That seems to be the trend, yeah...I used XP until a few months before Win 8 came out, then I was forced to upgrade to 7 and upgraded to 8 about a month ago when I put together a new pc. I quite liked both XP and 7. Luckily I've always had access to computer with the most recent OS so I knew which ones to skip ( *cough* Millennium)

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#14 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Moved to correct forum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@BranKetra: That was nice. It's good to see mods being helpful and, when possible, moving instead of locking threads. Thank you Bran =)

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@korvus: You are welcome. I do what I can. :)

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#17  Edited By Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11783 Posts

Getting rid of support for 8 this soon, especially while keeping support for 7 is stupid.

9 better get here quick, and be done well if that is the case. Not with ridiculously long list of software that isn't compatible.

Seems as if now you are forced to choose to wait for 9 to release and mature, or go with an almost 5years old windows 7.

kweeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 kweeni
Member since 2007 • 11413 Posts

I hope MS will do something to improve battery life on laptops. Macs with the same hardware as my laptop can run for ~10 hours while I can barely get 2 and a half hours out of it. That's pretty crazy...

Curlyfrii87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Curlyfrii87
Member since 2004 • 15057 Posts

This may make or break them for the business world. Most businesses that I've worked with will not touch Windows 8. Most run 7 and some refuse to leave XP. I think if they do 9 right, they will do very well.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

Not interested, sorry. Linux is far better.

JDWolfie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JDWolfie
Member since 2007 • 1952 Posts

@Curlyfrii87:

Windows 7 support will last until 2020. I don't think most businesses are going to jump to Windows 9 because of having to train employees.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Cool. Hopefully it's worth picking up, otherwise I'll just stick to 7 and wait for 10, which is probably coming sooner than I can imagine.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts

@farrell2k said:

Pass. I am done with Windows. No need to pay for an OS.

guess you are done with pc games then too.... unless you wanna play the 5 that are worth playing on linux.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@cyloninside said:

@farrell2k said:

guess you are done with pc games then too.... unless you wanna play the 5 that are worth playing on linux.

Linux is getting more and more every day

Avatar image for goutsmasherlive
GoutSmasherLive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GoutSmasherLive
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

And to think I just installed 8.1 last month.It got worse that fast, huh.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

So they lied once again when they said windows8 is the future and best yet. Why would they go back to windows 7 style then?. Annoys me when companies Lie out right.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

@cyloninside said:

@farrell2k said:

7 is going to be the last windows os I ever use.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By cyloninside

@AlexKidd5000 said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@cyloninside said:

@farrell2k said:

7 is going to be the last windows os I ever use.

good luck with that. guess you are going to drop out of the job market completely then.

let us all know how that goes for you.

heguain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 283

User Lists: 36

#33 heguain
Member since 2007 • 1433 Posts

Windows XP is the best, it felt more stable than others. My 8.1 right now is a pain in the ass.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17813 Posts

itll be interesting to see what they do.

i wont be upgrading though unless something really grabs my attention. 8.1 is fine. metro is not great but its not enough of a reason to upgrade.

if things keep going the way they are going then 8.1 may also be the last copy of windows i buy.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 cyloninside

@farrell2k said:

@cyloninside said:

good luck with that. guess you are going to drop out of the job market completely then.

let us all know how that goes for you.

Yeah, like he can't get a job for one of the companies who uses Linux, which runs more than half the Internet servers in the world. Man, that's stupid.

if you would have taken a moment to actually think about your comment instead of just trying to be a smart ass, you would have realized it was idiotic.

servers are not something you sit and work on day in and out. they are not for daily use. there fore, sure.... he totally could get a job that runs linux on their servers.... however that doesnt mean that is the only OS he will be using. infact, almost no one runs just linux on servers anymore. windows server is VERY popular as well, and typically is part of a mixed environment. on top of that, windows is still the gold standard for workstation OS's.... so even if he is in a linux heavy server environment, i can almost guarantee that the workstations that he uses every day will be running windows or at least dual boot windows and linux.

you cannot get away from windows in the business world. think before you speak. it saves you a lot of embarrassment.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

Until games either require or take noticeable advantage of some DX version that only W9 will have, I'll stick with 7 only because on my rig, Steam is the only thing that runs on it. I use a mac pro for everything else. As an actual platform to run applications on, I find Windows to be pretty bad really. Mostly because of the registry and also how they let developers do whatever the fck they want with it which pretty much requires the use of AV software as well and the limitations of Metro apps was a start but perhaps too limited. Linux is just flat out superior in many ways, not all of course but most. I would label OSX second but has the flaw of being limited to Apple hardware but that alone has benefits much like anything programmed for specific hardware and features. Windows has it for sheer developer popularity and overall compatibilities but it still shares that legacy issue and OEM's don't help any with their inclusions of bloatware and poorly written drivers. Windows is a victim of it's own success.

Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 656

User Lists: 4

#38  Edited By Gelugon_baat
Member since 2003 • 24247 Posts
@farrell2k said:

Dumb shit. I sit on a Solaris terminal all damned day fiddling with java on a redhat server. No windows in sight. The secretaries and the art guys are on Mac's. Man, you're ignorant. Not everyone is dumb enough to pay for windows licenses.

@cyloninside said:

infact, almost no one runs just linux on servers anymore. ... i can almost guarantee that the workstations that he uses every day will be running windows or at least dual boot windows and linux.

you cannot get away from windows in the business world. think before you speak. it saves you a lot of embarrassment.

I agree - "dumb shit" indeed from cyloninside, "almost guaranteed".

He doesn't even bother doing research to see if there is any surveys on website servers, like W3Tech's survey. Heck, I don't think that he even fully acknowledges the technical reality that Linux, being open-source, would already have a strong advantage in pervasiveness.

It's not the first time that cyloninside pulled poorly-supported statements out of his ass, by the way.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By cyloninside

@farrell2k said:

@cyloninside said:

if you would have taken a moment to actually think about your comment instead of just trying to be a smart ass, you would have realized it was idiotic.

servers are not something you sit and work on day in and out. they are not for daily use. there fore, sure.... he totally could get a job that runs linux on their servers.... however that doesnt mean that is the only OS he will be using. infact, almost no one runs just linux on servers anymore. windows server is VERY popular as well, and typically is part of a mixed environment. on top of that, windows is still the gold standard for workstation OS's.... so even if he is in a linux heavy server environment, i can almost guarantee that the workstations that he uses every day will be running windows or at least dual boot windows and linux.

Dumb shit. I sit on a Solaris terminal all damned day fiddling with java on a redhat server. No windows in sight. The secretaries and the art guys are on Mac's. Man, you're ignorant. Not everyone is dumb enough to pay for windows licenses.

"The secretaries and the art guys are on Mac's"

"Not everyone is dumb enough to pay for windows licenses."

oh god... the irony... LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

i guess you guys arent "dumb" enough to pay for windows licenses.... but you ARE dumb enough to pay 3x as much for a Mac. do people really still believe that creative suite or whatever runs better on macs?

keep it up though. clearly you know something everyone else in the business world doesnt.

PS. how long did it take you to google "solaris, java and redhat" so you could make an attempt at sounding like you know what you are talking about? i mean... you must be the most accomplished "fiddler" in the whole damn world for someone to employ you to just sit and "fiddle" with java on a "redhat server" all day. props to you for finding your niche, and finding an employer dumb enough to pay you for it.

Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Gelugon_baat
@cyloninside said:

i guess you guys arent "dumb" enough to pay for windows licenses.... but you ARE dumb enough to pay 3x as much for a Mac.

Oh sure, draw on the old trope of Apple's products being more expensive.

Really, how would you know about the prices for corporate-owned PCs, cyloninside? Have you considered that the Macs at farrell2k's company may not be newly purchased but are depreciated assets taken from elsewhere? How would you know that they have made a bad choice if you don't know even know nuts about the asset acquisition over at that company?

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 cyloninside

@Gelugon_baat said:
@cyloninside said:

i guess you guys arent "dumb" enough to pay for windows licenses.... but you ARE dumb enough to pay 3x as much for a Mac.

Oh sure, draw on the old trope of Apple's products being more expensive.

Really, how would you know about the prices for corporate-owned PCs, cyloninside? Have you considered that the Macs at farrell2k's company may not be newly purchased but are depreciated assets taken from elsewhere? How would you know that they have made a bad choice if you don't know even know nuts about the asset acquisition over at that company?

im sorry, gelugon, i forgot that you know everything about his business.

oooooooooh ok, so you are making conjectures as well. ok, that clears a lot up. so now that we have established that your comments are no more valid than mine because they are both based on conjecture, i guess i can feel free to ignore you.

thanks for stopping by and contributing nothing to the conversation though!

FYI, i have loads of exprience ordering Macs in an education environment. i ordered thousands over the course of several years working for a university. the education discounts, and bulk discounts for Macs are negligible. unless they are buying -ancient- Macs, their costs are astronomical compared to the cost of a well specced PC.

Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Gelugon_baat

@cyloninside said:

oooooooooh ok, so you are making conjectures as well. ok, that clears a lot up. so now that we have established that your comments are no more valid than mine because they are both based on conjecture, i guess i can feel free to ignore you.

What conjectures have I made really? Do point them out then, or are you just talking out of your ass again?

@cyloninside said:

Oh, you are one to say that. What have you contributed then?

@cyloninside said:

FYI, i have loads of exprience ordering Macs in an education environment. i ordered thousands over the course of several years working for a university. the education discounts, and bulk discounts for Macs are negligible. unless they are buying -ancient- Macs, their costs are astronomical compared to the cost of a well specced PC.

Ah, so you are applying your experience in a university to some remark here from someone whom you don't even know work at a university, and you are thinking that what you knew from your experience in a university can somehow be extended to workplaces elsewhere.You are making a lot of assumptions there, cyloninside - as you tend to do.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By cyloninside

@Gelugon_baat said:

@cyloninside said:

What conjectures have I made really? Do point them out then, or are you just talking out of your ass again?

@cyloninside said:

Oh, you are one to say that. What have you contributed then?

@cyloninside said:

Ah, so you are applying your experience in a university to some remark here from someone whom you don't even know work at a university, and you are thinking that what you knew from your experience in a university can somehow be extended to workplaces elsewhere.You are making a lot of assumptions there, cyloninside - as you tend to do.

have you considered that the Macs at farrell2k's company may not be newly purchased but are depreciated assets taken from elsewhere?

conjecture

How would you know that they have made a bad choice if you don't know even know nuts about the asset acquisition over at that company?

conjecture

again, thanks for stopping by and being your normal self gelugon. you are contributing nothing to the conversation other than idiotic remarks that have nothing to do with anything.... as you tend to do.

Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Gelugon_baat
@cyloninside said:

have you considered that the Macs at farrell2k's company may not be newly purchased but are depreciated assets taken from elsewhere?

conjecture

How would you know that they have made a bad choice if you don't know even know nuts about the asset acquisition over at that company?

conjecture

I have not even made any statements about anything that is certain; rather, I have posed hypothetical queries about possibilities that -you- have never considered at your own conjectures.

How do you even manage to come to think that I have made conjectures there? I suppose that you once worked at a university but never really studied at one? If you had, you would know that conjectures are conclusive statements made without supporting evidence - not queries which are intended to doubt conjectures.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

Is there any reason for me upgrading from the wonderful 8.1 to 9? (BTW I'm not kidding, I really love 8.1)

Code135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Code135
Member since 2005 • 892 Posts

It was mentioned back in spring and even before that M$ is already working on Win9 which "should" hit consumers in 2015. The only new thing is a date given for a "demo look" I guess.

darkmark91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 darkmark91
Member since 2006 • 3047 Posts

There are some more rumors that suggest that Windows 9 could be FREE or dirt cheap. Sauce 1Sauce 2

I am not gonna lie, I actually enjoy Windows 8.1 very much. The Start Screen is really not that bad... You can actually organize and customize it how ever you want. Once you get the hang of it, you start to realize it is actually "better." I mean really guys... other than the Start Screen what is actually bad about it?