RPG noob here. Recommend me one!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts

I seem to be leaning away from my long-held FPS roots, and am looking for a good RPG to play. It started with Fable (flame shield), and I rather enjoyed Risen. I've never played Mass Effect, Witcher, etc that I've heard so much about. Do you have to play the first one of those to enjoy the second? Or other recommendations? I don't care what the setting is, though I do enjoy the exploring aspects of games (and do admit to being a graphics whore).

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Fable and risen are sooo diffirent. One is pretty easy and hardly much of rpg, the other is designed with no step back, its clear it wanted to appeal to a hardcore fanbase. Mass effect is mostly a game that you make dialogue choices, good or evil and your choices changed some things in the story. Me2 is the same, but there are no skills involved on weapons and you dont really get better weapons or armors (hell it doesnt even have an inventory) Its a bit of shooter, but the choices are strong. Both games dont have much of exploration. For that you should go to fallout 3 or new vegas. Witcher is not bad either, its a more linear kind of rpg that you dont make your character but you used the default one and you play his story, choices are kept to minimum and the combat is based around clicking at the right time. The levels are decent sized for exploration but the game has alot of fetching.
deathshand707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deathshand707
Member since 2007 • 955 Posts

Fable and risen are sooo diffirent. One is pretty easy and hardly much of rpg, the other is designed with no step back, its clear it wanted to appeal to a hardcore fanbase. Mass effect is mostly a game that you make dialogue choices, good or evil and your choices changed some things in the story. Me2 is the same, but there are no skills involved on weapons and you dont really get better weapons or armors (hell it doesnt even have an inventory) Its a bit of shooter, but the choices are strong. Both games dont have much of exploration. For that you should go to fallout 3 or new vegas. Witcher is not bad either, its a more linear kind of rpg that you dont make your character but you used the default one and you play his story, choices are kept to minimum and the combat is based around clicking at the right time. The levels are decent sized for exploration but the game has alot of fetching.dakan45

I agree and disagree, mostly about ME. Its a great rpg game and IMO its a must play, there is a lot of explortation per say, and there is a hell of a lot of side missions. Fallout 3 is a must play too.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts

Didnt same anything bad about ME, but i dont stee much of exploration unless you refer to the planets, which better be avoided after a while....

Me3 gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLlUbO6I8tc

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Engrish_Major

I agree and disagree, mostly about ME. Its a great rpg game and IMO its a must play, there is a lot of explortation per say, and there is a hell of a lot of side missions. Fallout 3 is a must play too.

deathshand707
Do you have to play the first before the second? I've heard that many things were improved in ME2.
MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#6 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

Nothing of importance was improved in ME2. In fact, unless you're really into the story I'd just play ME1 and be done with it. The Witcher is also a great game that you can pick up cheap now. They've made many improvements in The Witcher 2, though. I have no idea if/how the stories tie together, but the Witcher 1 is a great game in its own right.

Sounds like you're on the right track. I can't recommend much, as Risen is the last graphically decent RPG I've played and enjoyed. The only other thing I could think of is Divinity 2: DKS. I only tested the waters so far in Ego Draconis, but I've heard Dragon Knight Saga improves upon it in every way.

deathshand707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deathshand707

[QUOTE="deathshand707"]

Engrish_Major

Do you have to play the first before the second? I've heard that many things were improved in ME2.

ME1 is much more of a RPG then ME2 was, ME2 was more of an action shooter. The only thing that continued to piss me off in ME1 was the ai, just dont do the noveria mission first and you will be fine.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

I seem to be leaning away from my long-held FPS roots, and am looking for a good RPG to play.Engrish_Major

Welcome to the genre, once you start enjoying them, you'll find the immersion is even better than any FPS.:)

Witcher and Mass Effect have the strong points of important choices and good storyline.

Do you happen to have a Nvidia GPU? If you do, the Witcher 1 & 2 both have Nvidia-specific graphics commands coded into the executable.

Since you have an eye for graphics, you'll notice sharper images, such as mold growth on walls plus wear & tear on buildings in Witcher.

Skipping Witcher 1 is like skipping Mass Effect 1 and just reading the comic before starting Mass Effect 2.:lol:

It's also like buying the LoTR books and skipping the Hobbit.

If you like storyline and being immersed, you'll want to play all.

sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

You can skip ME1. I didn't like it that much. ME2 combat is much better. I also like the characters better.

ME1 can be very boring with the side quests.

AleksandarTale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AleksandarTale
Member since 2007 • 2906 Posts

You should get both ME and ME 2. Tha way you'll be more immersed into the world.

Sibberke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Sibberke
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

Another very good RPG is, from the makers of the Me series, Dragon Age: Origins. I haven't completed it myself yet, but I like it.

SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SkyWard20
Member since 2009 • 4509 Posts
[QUOTE="deathshand707"]

Engrish_Major

If you're interested, I'd recommend you to play Mass Effect 1 first. Developers always will say 'no' to these kind of questions, but you'll have a default new game option that probably won't appeal as much to paragon ( 'good') players ( though you can download a different saved game online ) forced on you from the start. Plus there's a lot of characters you'll see returning, and references you might not get. You might also enjoy Bloodlines. Vampires are one of those things everyone seems to like.
KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts
Well i guess you want new kinds of rpgs then? Divinity, Risen, Two Worlds, Dragon age origins, the witcher is a few examples.
couly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#14 couly
Member since 2004 • 6279 Posts
ME 1 is more of an RPG than ME 2, but you should play the Witcher 2, it's stunning. I also recommend Morrowind with graphics mods.
Katsumic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Katsumic
Member since 2010 • 253 Posts

Mass Effect 1 and 2 are great choices :) Mass Effect 2 is more "action oriented" than the first, but ME1 has more RPG elements. Divinity II i've enjoyed a lot, although there is a lack of direction for quests and such, so it may not be a good first choice. The dragon age games are also fun :) Although, like Mass Effect, the second dragon age is more action oriented with less RPG.

If you like Diablo style hack and slash RPG's, Diablo 2, Titan Quest, Sacred 2, etc. are good choices :)

G-Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 G-Lord
Member since 2004 • 2141 Posts

I guess noone dares to say it, but I recommend Oblivion. This was the game that got me into RPGs. I have been playing games for years before I got into RPGs, and now it's one of my most played genre.

guildclaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 guildclaws
Member since 2009 • 7921 Posts

Buy The Witcher 1 and 2 and Mass Effect 1 and 2

deathshand707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deathshand707

I guess noone dares to say it, but I recommend Oblivion. This was the game that got me into RPGs. I have been playing games for years before I got into RPGs, and now it's one of my most played genre.

G-Lord

I agree. Takes some learning but oblivion is a great game

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Engrish_Major

guildclaws
Hey guildclaws... can I borrow $100? :P
l-lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 l-lord
Member since 2009 • 853 Posts

[QUOTE="guildclaws"]

Engrish_Major

If you're a kid and the sort of player that doesn't bother about the game's story and how it unfolds buy Mass effect 1 or 2. If you're an adult and the type of a player who is completely sick of games with typical go here,there,kill/stop that guy plots, then there's no better choice than Witcher 2. And ofcourse don't forget you'll need a decent PC to be able to fully enjoy the game's visuals at a decent framerate.

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#21 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts
[QUOTE="guildclaws"]

Engrish_Major

All of those games have been on sale for $5-10, excluding The Witcher 2 which you were able to preorder for $35 or so. Just keep an eye on sales.
Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

All the following are games that I own, and I don't own every RPG in existance, so.....

These pretty much follow the same type of formula of game play paired up with dialog choices backed by an interesting arching story.
Fallout 1 & 2
Baldur's Gate I & II
Planescape Torment
Neverwinter Nights 2 + expansion: Mask of the Betrayer
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2
Jade Empire
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
Mass Effect 1 & 2
Dragon Age Ultimate Edition.
The Witcher

Then there are RPG's that focus more towards Simulation, Character stat, and Trade/Loot.
Fallout 3
Elder Scroll Arena
Daggerfall
Morrowind
Battlespire
Oblivion
Gothic 2
Mount and Blade: Warband
Arx Fatalis

FPS shooter hybrids
Deus Ex
STALKER 1 - 3
Metro 2033
Chronicles of Riddick: Assult on Dark Athena

Dark adventures with story:
Amesia: The Dark Descent
Thief seres
Penumbra series
Indigo Prophecy

Then there's these that are worth mentioning....

Assassin's Creed series
Batman Arkham Asylum
Jagged Alliance 2
Xcom UFO Defense/UFO Unknown...
Overlord I & II

Prexxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Prexxus
Member since 2003 • 1443 Posts

Morrowind, Oblivion, Dragon age origins, Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 1-2, Neverwinter Knights 1-2+expansions, Risen, The Witcher 1-2, Fallout 3 + New Vegas, The Last Remnant ( JRPG ) Baldurs Gate II, Vampire : the Masquerade Bloodlines, Gothic II III.

That should keep you busy for a while.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

in order

the witcher 2 (1 is good too but liked 2 a lot more)

neverwinter nights 2

dragon age origins

mass effect 1 and 2

last remnant

fallout 3

tutt3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 tutt3r
Member since 2005 • 2865 Posts

Fallout New Vegas is a really fun game that meshes fps and rpg aspects quite well. The graphics side is a bit lacking, but mods can make it look pretty good. There is a lot to explore and do and a real time sink. Wait for a steam sale and pick it up

barakz0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 barakz0r
Member since 2007 • 124 Posts
ME 1 and 2 are perfect wayh to start loving rpg games :]]
weisguy119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 weisguy119
Member since 2006 • 3393 Posts

The Witcher if you're obsessed with digital mammaries, Dragon Age: Origins and ME1 & 2 if you like good RPGs.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 1

#28 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
Member since 2008 • 4403 Posts

Fallout 3

VoidQuake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 VoidQuake
Member since 2011 • 39 Posts

Some RPG Shooters:
Bioshock 1 & 2
Fallout 3
Fallout New Vegas
Borderlands
Mass effect 1 & 2

Some Fantasy RPG's

The Witcher 1 & 2
Dragon Age 1 & 2
Oblivion

For pretty much all of the listed games that have sequels I kind of liked the first part better (With the exeption of Mass Effect and The Witcher 2)
But I still recommend not skipping on the first parts though.