This topic is locked from further discussion.

SgtMoreless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SgtMoreless
Member since 2009 • 311 Posts

Just beat Trine. Let me just say it is really good and I cant wait to play some co-op. The music really fit the game. The narration was spot on and set the tone. At first I thought this game was ganna be hit or miss. All I did was use the thief, but soon found out how important the other characters were. Towards the middle half of the game I was switching characters left and right constantly to get to the green orbs.

That brings me to the green orbs (for experience). Sometimes I felt the only thing that kept me going was the experience and leveling up. I would go for every green orb I could possibly find, as well as every chest. This was at first fun, but became quite annoying. I could have just skipped them but I would not be very powerful through the rest of the game. I felt as if I had to get these items. (FYI i only missed 24 out of 400 green orbs on my first playthrough (that excludes all the enenmy orbs, which I made sure to kill every single enemy)) The green orbs paid off because I found all the later battles very easy (I played on Medium difficulty).

Wizard: Used him the least because he is not very good at killing skeletons. You can drop boxes or planks on the enemies, but this is not very good because it takes to much time to draw the box or plank. (when the skeletons charge its hard to judge where to place it) It was very fun finding ways to use him to get from one area to the next. Or using boxes to stop gears from moving so you can get to places.

Knight: Used him about as much as the Wizard, but when it came to fighting he was my first choice (except against archers). He deals damage the best against multiple foes. Once he gets secondary weapon, it was game over for his foes. Infact, there was no challenge at that point when fighting 10 skeletons at a time. The area damage needs nuked. I would also use him to sink like a rock in the water sections. Once I reached the bottom I would switch to the Thief to do all the swimming. This saved me lots of breath.

Thief: I used her the most because her grappling hook was the best IMO. Yeah, I could have used the Wizard to put 2 boxes ontop of each other, but why do that when you can really test the physics engine and pretend you are spider man. Her arrows were pretty weak at first, but the later game was insane. I was shooting 4 arrows at a time slaughtering all foes in my path. When there was 6 or 8 bats flying around me, I would just shoot like crazy in the air in all direction (not charging bow) making an 'arrow shield' around me. When there were bosses near I would just sit back where the boss could not reach me and fill it with arrows. (kinda cheap, but it worked)

I rarely died or had to start over until the last level. OMG! Now that was a horrid difficulty curve.

***SPLOILERS***

Last level you have to get to the top of a tower before it fills with lava. Reminds me of Donkey Kong Country 2 (anyone?...anyone?) This made me scream at the monitor and use profanity. This topped all the other levels in difficulty. I only got 3 out of the 10 orbs. This level however can be mastered. The more you play it the better you get. If anyone can play this level without dieing on their first time you are king of Trine. The only way I found to beat this level, was trial and error. Slowly mastering the bottom of the level and getting lucky at the top. Of course once you reach the top you hit a check point.

AHH, the check point. The cheapest and most abused system in this game. When you go near it you gain half you health and half your energy. You can sit and fight buy one of these and be invicible. OR....you can fall to your death with the Thief, and respon with the Wizard at the check point and your Thief is revived.

There are 15 levels in the game. All of which have differnt challenges. Solving all these puzzles was very easy and pretty self explanitory.

This game is not difficult, but very fun.

***sorry for words spelt wrong and horrid grammar***

So, what did you guys think of the game?

HOMIE_G64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#2 HOMIE_G64
Member since 2005 • 1482 Posts
Post in the Trine forum?
SgtMoreless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SgtMoreless

Post in the Trine forum?HOMIE_G64

Did not know there was one. I havnt seen anything on these forums about Trine. Send me a link. Or do you mean the Official Trine forum?

NauthiX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 NauthiX
Member since 2009 • 130 Posts

[QUOTE="HOMIE_G64"]Post in the Trine forum?SgtMoreless

Did not know there was one. I havnt seen anything on these forums about Trine. Send me a link. Or do you mean the Official Trine forum?

Maybe he means the gamespot trine forum... idk. Anyway nice review. I loved the game.
F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
Didn't know the last level had rising lava, I never stuck around to see it. It's not really hard once your wizard gets the floating platform, as it allows your thief to swing to any point. Anyways, great little game, but it's only good for a couple of playthroughs.
Avatar image for Charles_Dickens
Charles_Dickens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Charles_Dickens
Member since 2009 • 1693 Posts

A lava level?

In a computer game.

That is very original.

SgtMoreless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SgtMoreless

Didn't know the last level had rising lava, I never stuck around to see it. It's not really hard once your wizard gets the floating platform, as it allows your thief to swing to any point. Anyways, great little game, but it's only good for a couple of playthroughs.F1_2004

Hmm...I read that you could grapple onto it, but never could do it. Do you mean the plank or the triangle. Either way I tried all of them but the grapple never stuck.

Adversary16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 Adversary16
Member since 2007 • 1705 Posts
So Trine is really that good, heh?
SgtMoreless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SgtMoreless

So Trine is really that good, heh?Adversary16

Yeah, for a next gen platformer. Nothing beats Donky Kong Country or Super Marios Brothers. Problem is, this game only has 15 levels. Where as said games I mentioned have 25-30+ levels. All of which are the same length if not longer than Trines levels. However, they dont have awesome physics like this game. This game has TONES of replay value. One could play the game twice 2 completely differet ways. There are multiple ways to solve puzzles. EX: You could grapple to the next area or you could build boxes, planks, and triangles to get to the next area.

Co-op will pose a challenge. The developers did not properly test all gampad controllers. So really, at this point, only X360 controllers function properly. Im using Logitech controllers that resemble the playstation controllers. I cant seem to get the settings working properly. They said they would fix this in the next patch, but for now im screwd. Guess I'll keep playing single-player with a keyboard and mouse.