Re-started HL2, having played it only at release

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-622466a483e10
deactivated-622466a483e10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-622466a483e10
Member since 2003 • 659 Posts

And it's amazing what a quality game it is.

Most games I've played since then can't touch it...

Anyone agree?

warriorlax1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 warriorlax1234
Member since 2003 • 338 Posts

Depends. Metro 2033 was solid. Great story , technology, graphics etc... I agree that half life 2 was/is epic. 

AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 AdamPA1006
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

Depends. Metro 2033 was solid. Great story , technology, graphics etc... I agree that half life 2 was/is epic. 

warriorlax1234
I'm just playing through Metro 2033 know and I kept thinking how much like HL2 it was, love the atmosphere of both games
Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
Metro was good, LL was a bit disappointing imo. HL2 still is the bettergame for me, but for me HL2 is the best game ever.
Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10537 Posts

haven't touched it for years. a few years ago i decided i was going to wait until the hl3 release and play it and the episodes the week before. not the best decision in hindsight. will probably be somewhere around 2018 when i get to play it next at this rate, if at all.

but yeah, landmark game. amazingly it seems to get a fair bit of hate on this board these days

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Yeah, the HL series really is near timeless, not long ago I playied through HL11 and then Black Mesa, and funnily enough Im playing through HL2 again aswell right now ^^ At the watter boat thingie in the sewers right now.

As for games that can manage to capture me as well, must be STALKER mainly, I really enjoyied playing through that again recently. But most games does not touch it remotelt, I agree. I am sure there are some but apart from old RPGs and adventure games (Im talking about FPS here mostly, given the way to compare), there are very few games that keeps the same kind of near magic.

Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

Yes, Half-Life 2 is one of my best gaming memories.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#8 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Visually some parts have really dated with HL2. It almost looks like there are textures missing.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
Play it with the Cinematic Mod now.... looks great.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#10 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Play it with the Cinematic Mod now.... looks great.FelipeInside
What sort of stuff does that add?? I haven't used it before.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]Play it with the Cinematic Mod now.... looks great.biggest_loser

New music, graphics, sound etc. It really makes HL2 like a new game. https://www.google.com.au/search?q=cinematic+mod+comparison&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=BEkuUu_rNaiziAfN94DQCA&ved=0CC8QsAQ&biw=1920&bih=954https://www.youtube.com/results?q=cinematic%20mod%20compariosn&um=1&ie=UTF-8&gl=AU&sa=N&tab=w1
Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

Anyone agree?

Kloney

HL is real art, something that most devs/publishers don't really care about. There are very few games that come close in terms of having such coherent artistic expression, I can only think of Max Payne 1 and 2, perhaps NOLF 2, Fallout 3 and... Well I guess that's it.

edit: yes, also there's Portal 2.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#13 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

I also had a similar experience.  I played it in 2004 and then again in 2007 with The Orange Box.  But having just recently replayed it this year it holds up very well.  It's a spectacular game!

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#14 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
i'm the same way. i find that the half-life games all have tremendous replay value for me. i've been doing yearly playthroughs of hl2 and the episodes since 07. every year's been the same--captivated from start to finish.
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#15 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
Played it not long ago, loved it just as the day I played it. Can't say enough good things about it really.
gillri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gillri
Member since 2004 • 5926 Posts

[QUOTE="Kloney"]

Anyone agree?

PfizersaurusRex

HL is real art, something that most devs/publishers don't really care about. There are very few games that come close in terms of having such coherent artistic expression, I can only think of Max Payne 1 and 2, perhaps NOLF 2, Fallout 3 and... Well I guess that's it.

The Last Of Us does

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

HL2 is a timeless masterpiece. I replay it at least once a year, along with the Episodes. Even the graphics, even without mods, have held up surprisingly well. Which is at least partly because they've actually been officially upgraded by valve a couple times along the way, but still. Really can't wait to see Source 2 games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-622466a483e10

Yeah, the HL series really is near timeless, not long ago I playied through HL11 and then Black Mesa, and funnily enough Im playing through HL2 again aswell right now ^^ At the watter boat thingie in the sewers right now.

As for games that can manage to capture me as well, must be STALKER mainly, I really enjoyied playing through that again recently. But most games does not touch it remotelt, I agree. I am sure there are some but apart from old RPGs and adventure games (Im talking about FPS here mostly, given the way to compare), there are very few games that keeps the same kind of near magic.

Maddie_Larkin

I'm past Ravenholm and driving on "road 17" or whatever it's called, just past the part where you get the crossbow.

The story is epic, every character is believable and the voice acting as well as the AI animations is top notch. It's the small things, like one AI reacting to another one when you are in a group of 3 talking, smiling towards you, or shaking the head and looking in doubt, and so much more...

I'm amazed of the graphics being so good yet very playable on old computers. I'm playing on a 6 y.o. laptop and can almost max it out, and it looks great. Love it.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 the_bi99man

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"]Play it with the Cinematic Mod now.... looks great.FelipeInside

New music, graphics, sound etc. It really makes HL2 like a new game. https://www.google.com.au/search?q=cinematic+mod+comparison&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=BEkuUu_rNaiziAfN94DQCA&ved=0CC8QsAQ&biw=1920&bih=954https://www.youtube.com/results?q=cinematic%20mod%20compariosn&um=1&ie=UTF-8&gl=AU&sa=N&tab=w1

If you're gonna use the Cinematic Mod, definitely disable the HD character models. They're high quality models, on a technical level, but the actual visual design is laughably bad. Just look at them, and you'll see what I mean. Also, I would advise against using the mod's music. It's just super generic action movie orchestral score stuff (I'm actually pretty sure it's stolen from some movie, but I can't quite put my finger on which one). The original music is amazing, unique, and part of what makes the HL atmosphere. 

Then there's the gun models, which actually change the way the guns handle, besides just the looks. I really like most of them, but beware: the cinematic mod SMG is extremely accurate, unlike the original. It's nice for the player, but the Combine also have it. And they are deadly with it. Using the cinematic mod guns significantly increases the difficulty of the game, just because the weapons are so much more accurate. When I played through with cinematic mod, that part in Nova Prospekt, when you're stuck in that double hallway with all the jail cells, and you have to just survive waves of enemies for a while, was crazy hard. After hours of being stuck on it, even after dropping game difficulty as low as it could go, I just said fvck it and activated god mode to get through it and move on with the game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-622466a483e10

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="biggest_loser"] What sort of stuff does that add?? I haven't used it before. the_bi99man

If you're gonna use the Cinematic Mod, definitely disable the HD character models. They're high quality models, on a technical level, but the actual visual design is laughably bad. Just look at them, and you'll see what I mean. Also, I would advise against using the mod's music. It's just super generic action movie orchestral score stuff (I'm actually pretty sure it's stolen from some movie, but I can't quite put my finger on which one). The original music is amazing, unique, and part of what makes the HL atmosphere. 

Then there's the gun models, which actually change the way the guns handle, besides just the looks. I really like most of them, but beware: the cinematic mod SMG is extremely accurate, unlike the original. It's nice for the player, but the Combine also have it. And they are deadly with it. Using the cinematic mod guns significantly increases the difficulty of the game, just because the weapons are so much more accurate. When I played through with cinematic mod, that part in Nova Prospekt, when you're stuck in that double hallway with all the jail cells, and you have to just survive waves of enemies for a while, was crazy hard. After hours of being stuck on it, even after dropping game difficulty as low as it could go, I just said fvck it and activated god mode to get through it and move on with the game.

Will the cinematic mod be heavier on the system? I don't think my computer can handle much more than HL2 to be honest...

Oh, and I'm buying EP1+2 although having played them already, just because I want to try out this mod :P

Silicel1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 Silicel1
Member since 2005 • 2342 Posts
You guys just made me want to play the game although I am probably just going to play the last episode since that is the one that I played the least times.
longtonguecat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 longtonguecat
Member since 2008 • 2558 Posts

[QUOTE="PfizersaurusRex"]

[QUOTE="Kloney"]

Anyone agree?

gillri

The Last Of Us does

TLOU feels more a triumh of interative cinematic gameplay and storytelling than being artful.

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
You guys just made me want to play the game although I am probably just going to play the last episode since that is the one that I played the least times.Silicel1
probably a good idea. I cant play the game anymore, played through all of the episodes wayyyy too many times.
Fire_Wa11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#24 Fire_Wa11
Member since 2008 • 600 Posts

[QUOTE="gillri"]

[QUOTE="PfizersaurusRex"]

longtonguecat

The Last Of Us does

TLOU feels more a triumh of interative cinematic gameplay and storytelling than being artful.

Witcher 2?  If they fell short of some precedent set by HL2 it was purely on accident (as opposed to rushing out the game for revenue or other shortcut/profit ploy.)  Witcher 2 is not necessarily in my personal top 5 or even 6 (little too much melee, and I prefer sci-fi to fantasy) but, man, playing that game I really felt like they poured every fiber of their beings into that game.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
It is pretty good still, I played through it again fully this year - first time properly since 2004 on release. The biggest problem is how archaic the storytelling techniques and basic the writing is. There's very little depth to it; don't get me wrong it is a beautifully realised world with fantastic looking characters but gosh the script is bad, and the 'lock you in a room with characters' or 'wait for the door to open' is so inelegant today it's frustrating. That and the script is just well, extremely basic, doesn't help that Alyx's dialogue is fairly cringeworthy pandering. Another problem is how basic the general combat is, it goes without saying that the Combine soldiers are basic enemies who aren't interesting to fight. Being able to constantly bunny hop and accelerate around them doesn't help. Oh and the way source does geometry sculpting is pretty horrible in some areas and very dated, but it works with the games aesthetic most of the time. Oh and the puzzles there to service the pacing are super flat compared to some of them in the first. Half Life Otherwise the game is great, it's still a pretty remarkable game to this day in how it is this crazy pastiche of first person stuff we now take for granted, and there's some brilliant game design and situational variety, as well as environmental storytelling. It's just a shame Episode 1 was so poor and Ep 2 was such a retread.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-622466a483e10
Is it worth re-buying EP1+2 for the cinematic mod?
Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

Yes, I completely agree.  I played it in 2005, and then again a couple of years ago.  HL2 and it's episodes have aged extremely well.  Still the best shooter, aside from the original Half-life Black Mesa Source remake, IMO.  

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

hl2 aged pretty bad
the shooting mechanics are really bad

cinematic mod makes the game worse with its character models

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

Still an amazing experience, just recently started it with friends but they gave up before we finished it all.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#31 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Half Life was better than Half Life 2.. the gravity gun was just a gimmick.
JackBurton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#32 JackBurton
Member since 2002 • 3808 Posts
  1. Half-Life 
  2. HL2: Ep Two
  3. Opposing Force
  4. Half-Life 2
  5. HL2: Ep One
  6. Blue Shift
_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

Just play it without mods. The game is timeless. I have replayed hl2 countless times. no joke

AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 AdamPA1006
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts
Is it worth re-buying EP1+2 for the cinematic mod?Kloney
Haha im thinking about this too, im definitely waiting for the next sale to scoop these up officially and get the cinematic mod going
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 the_bi99man

Is it worth re-buying EP1+2 for the cinematic mod?Kloney

Why would you need to re-buy them?

Also, to answer your last question, yes, cinematic mod is MUCH heavier on the system than the vanilla game. More difficult to run than anything else ever made with Source.