Reprecussions of PC gaming and it's effects on one's perception of reality

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for TacticalElefant
TacticalElefant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 TacticalElefant
Member since 2007 • 900 Posts
Ever since I've been PC gaming, tinkering with details, making optimal graphical settings, noticing such minute details in shadows or textures or etc, I must say, in my real life, I've become quite more perceptive of everything in terms of how it looks.  My friends will jokingly say "hey Mike, look at the dynamic shadow I'm creating with my hand!" and I'll laugh about it.  It's weird, the attention to detail in my PC gaming endeavors has led to increasing my attentiveness of my real life now.  I notice how light hits leaves, scatters, and excentuates the shape and how beautiful wood grains and the patterns look.  Of course, my life and my virtual worlds are not the same, one being real, the other polygons and textures, yet both based on arithmetic. 

Anyone become like this as well?  I don't find it anything really profound, but it's definetly interesting and a welcome change to how I view my world and percieve it's beauty.
anandram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 anandram
Member since 2007 • 1537 Posts
I follow your logic but i was the other way around.......not being funny but i sorta noticed the real life stuff first, and then with games, was like "hey this game looks real". If you know what i mean.
monco59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#3 monco59
Member since 2007 • 2473 Posts
Bah, who needs the real world when you can live in a made up one?
thanatose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 thanatose
Member since 2003 • 2465 Posts

I follow your logic but i was the other way around.......not being funny but i sorta noticed the real life stuff first, and then with games, was like "hey this game looks real". If you know what i mean.anandram

I'm in pretty much the same boat on this one. I did after all start gaming with games like Pong, Zork, Ultima I, and the original Castle Wolfenstine.

Uchiha_Sasuke1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Uchiha_Sasuke1
Member since 2002 • 1636 Posts
i think its just a sign that you've become a genius.
anandram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 anandram

i think its just a sign that you've become a genius.Uchiha_Sasuke1

Either that or your in the frikkn matrix.

linkthewindow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 linkthewindow
Member since 2005 • 5654 Posts
Bah, who needs the real world when you can live in a made up one?monco59
Waiting for someone to post that :P.
anandram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 anandram

well unless you can survive on the pretend jucie that the sims drink, id suggest alternating between the real world and fiction :P

DezmoTk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 DezmoTk
Member since 2004 • 786 Posts

my answer to you is yes.

I now notice more things in reallife like ambient lighting and soft shadows then I did before hand.

Subcritical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 Subcritical
Member since 2004 • 2286 Posts

Ever since I've been PC gaming, tinkering with details, making optimal graphical settings, noticing such minute details in shadows or textures or etc, I must say, in my real life, I've become quite more perceptive of everything in terms of how it looks.  My friends will jokingly say "hey Mike, look at the dynamic shadow I'm creating with my hand!" and I'll laugh about it.  It's weird, the attention to detail in my PC gaming endeavors has led to increasing my attentiveness of my real life now.  I notice how light hits leaves, scatters, and excentuates the shape and how beautiful wood grains and the patterns look.  Of course, my life and my virtual worlds are not the same, one being real, the other polygons and textures, yet both based on arithmetic. 

Anyone become like this as well?  I don't find it anything really profound, but it's definetly interesting and a welcome change to how I view my world and percieve it's beauty.
TacticalElefant

Mathematics are the fabric, the language, of the universe.  We are in our infancy in learning this language.  Hopefully we don't use mathematics to destroy ourselves.

monco59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#11 monco59
Member since 2007 • 2473 Posts

[QUOTE="monco59"]Bah, who needs the real world when you can live in a made up one?anandram

well unless you can survive on the pretend jucie that the sims drink, id suggest alternating between the real world and fiction :P

I may think about it, but I won't promise anything... 

GoblinOnFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GoblinOnFire
Member since 2003 • 912 Posts

The border is crossed when you whack an old lady with a baseball bat and you are surprised that she doesn't drop stacks of dollarbills...

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
QFT.
anandram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 anandram

The border is crossed when you whack an old lady with a baseball bat and you are surprised that she doesn't drop stacks of dollarbills...

GoblinOnFire

:lol: GTA FTW on "who needs the real world when you can live in a made up one"?

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#15 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts
Dude....you are not gaining perception...you are losing your mind and losing grip on reality.  You need really need a break from gaming.  Seriously...
anandram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 anandram

Dude....you are not gaining perception...you are losing your mind and losing grip on reality.  You need really need a break from gaming.  Seriously...dnuggs40

yea that was going to be what i was going to refer to, but would only write such a thing in the 360 forum ;)

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts

[QUOTE="dnuggs40"]Dude....you are not gaining perception...you are losing your mind and losing grip on reality.  You need really need a break from gaming.  Seriously...anandram

yea that was going to be what i was going to refer to, but would only write such a thing in the 360 forum ;)

It doesn't matter what forum we are on...I am dead serious.  I am not trying to insult the TC...I am actually kind of concerned...

lol_waffles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lol_waffles
Member since 2006 • 1826 Posts
My friends will jokingly say "hey Mike, look at the dynamic shadow I'm creating with my hand!" and I'll laugh about it. TacticalElefant
:|
Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#19 Cerza
Member since 2005 • 1946 Posts
Now you have started thinking like an artist.
TacticalElefant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TacticalElefant
[QUOTE="TacticalElefant"] My friends will jokingly say "hey Mike, look at the dynamic shadow I'm creating with my hand!" and I'll laugh about it. lol_waffles
:|

LOL That's my friends making fun of my interest in graphics processors and their capabilities. I still quite easily know whats real and whats not, it's not a question of me losing my mind and blending the two. It's an observation of what PC gaming has done to affect my views on experiencing the real world and how I notice so much more. I remember about a year ago I was walking around my university campus, and I thought immediately as I looked up and around the buildings "holy damn this place would make a great model for a BF2 map." I'm not insane yet (others would disagree), but I can easily tell whats a real picture or just CGI.

Basically PC gaming became a kind of "conditioning" (think Pavlov's dog) that made me more perceptive of my real world.
ElvisNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 ElvisNixon
Member since 2003 • 551 Posts

it's called "learning to see."

I went through the same process in undergraduate, in life drawing class-- where you sit around and draw charcol drawings of nude models for three hours a day (real life chicks, some hot, and then some very nasty old men).

After that class, i tended to see more, visuall speaking, rather than letting my brain organize things into neat catagories. 

ikwal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ikwal
Member since 2004 • 1600 Posts
I've not become like that when it comes to graphics in games, but when I started to learn programming I began to think about how every program/game I saw was built. Same thing when I studied science in school I think about how and why things are as the are. It's really quite fun to start seeing ordinary things in a different way.
Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#23 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

I guess I'll have to go against the so called "realism" that OP is referring to.

It is true that future will bring us more advanced gaming - visually coming closer and closer to real world, however. There is a fine line between what is real and what is virtual. When you work for living, have a family to raise you don't think of virtual gaming reality taking over your mind.

I guess I can't call myself a "hardcore" PC gamer, I do enjoy few hours a week of quality RTS, RPG and FPS games. My perception and point is to relax, have a good and most importantly fun time when I play specific genre.

Games are entrainment, not more not less. It's the person behind the computer that is struggling with truth, not other way around ;)

Jc2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Jc2007
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

Video games and their effects on kids...

Joking. :P

Anyway, it has been shown that playing video games makes your eye/hand coordination better.

So, it wouldn't surprise me if it would help your perception of little details in real life, like shadows and how things look.

From playing video games nearly my whole life, my eye/hand coordination is better, but not sure about the shadow stuff...

But yeah, interesting stuff.

anandram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 anandram
[QUOTE="anandram"]

[QUOTE="dnuggs40"]Dude....you are not gaining perception...you are losing your mind and losing grip on reality.  You need really need a break from gaming.  Seriously...dnuggs40

It doesn't matter what forum we are on...I am dead serious.  I am not trying to insult the TC...I am actually kind of concerned...

Yea it is a tad odd to say the least. IMO, it really shouldnt take a game for a person to figure out that there are some beautiful landscapes in this world....be it with shadows or colour or whatever. But hey, if thats what it took to make you realise that, then thats fine. But also remember where the true beauty lies in this world, and its not in a computer game....its outdoors :)

Havok357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Havok357
Member since 2005 • 297 Posts

[QUOTE="TacticalElefant"]Ever since I've been PC gaming, tinkering with details, making optimal graphical settings, noticing such minute details in shadows or textures or etc, I must say, in my real life, I've become quite more perceptive of everything in terms of how it looks. My friends will jokingly say "hey Mike, look at the dynamic shadow I'm creating with my hand!" and I'll laugh about it. It's weird, the attention to detail in my PC gaming endeavors has led to increasing my attentiveness of my real life now. I notice how light hits leaves, scatters, and excentuates the shape and how beautiful wood grains and the patterns look. Of course, my life and my virtual worlds are not the same, one being real, the other polygons and textures, yet both based on arithmetic.

Anyone become like this as well? I don't find it anything really profound, but it's definetly interesting and a welcome change to how I view my world and percieve it's beauty.
Subcritical

Mathematics are the fabric, the language, of the universe. We are in our infancy in learning this language. Hopefully we don't use mathematics to destroy ourselves.

You are living 70 years ago. Think about atom bomb, H bomb and the upcoming antimatter bomb. In fact, we are already using mathematics to destroy ourselves. It is just a matter of time until life on Earth is no longer possible due to radiation and destruction of natural resources caused by the constant human obsession, that is to destroy. 

TacticalElefant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TacticalElefant
[QUOTE="Subcritical"]

[QUOTE="TacticalElefant"]Ever since I've been PC gaming, tinkering with details, making optimal graphical settings, noticing such minute details in shadows or textures or etc, I must say, in my real life, I've become quite more perceptive of everything in terms of how it looks. My friends will jokingly say "hey Mike, look at the dynamic shadow I'm creating with my hand!" and I'll laugh about it. It's weird, the attention to detail in my PC gaming endeavors has led to increasing my attentiveness of my real life now. I notice how light hits leaves, scatters, and excentuates the shape and how beautiful wood grains and the patterns look. Of course, my life and my virtual worlds are not the same, one being real, the other polygons and textures, yet both based on arithmetic.

Anyone become like this as well? I don't find it anything really profound, but it's definetly interesting and a welcome change to how I view my world and percieve it's beauty.
Havok357

Mathematics are the fabric, the language, of the universe. We are in our infancy in learning this language. Hopefully we don't use mathematics to destroy ourselves.

You are living 70 years ago. Think about atom bomb, H bomb and the upcoming antimatter bomb. In fact, we are already using mathematics to destroy ourselves. It is just a matter of time until life on Earth is no longer possible due to radiation and destruction of natural resources caused by the constant human obsession, that is to destroy.

It's about the super strings baby.  SUPER STRING THEORY!