Replacing my video card, or possible other upgrades, help appreciated!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RockToTheLed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RockToTheLed
Member since 2006 • 1409 Posts

Hello everyone! So not too long ago one of my two video cards died on me. As of now, my specs are an Intel Core Duo E6850 @ 3 GHz, 4 GB of ram, and an NVidia 8800 GT, and the monitor I'm using runs at 1920x1200. With all the new games coming out soon, including Mafia 2, Dragon Age 2, and Final Fantasy XIV Online, I'm looking to either replace the 8800 GT that died and go back to running SLi, or get a new video card that can out perform both of those. I'm not insanely computer literate, I had a great deal of help building this computer from a friend, but he isn't in the position to help me out at the moment, so I ask, what would be my best decision to go with? I'm certain buying the 8800 GT would be the most cost efficient, but if a much better card is available and not that much more expensive, then I'd gladly do that instead. Note I am partial to NVidia, as I've always had cards by them and like the interface, as well as the physx and such. And finally, would the video card be the best idea? Or would upgrading something else before hand be the wiser choice? Thank you very much for any and all assistance that can be offered, it is much appreciated.

megapikachu101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 megapikachu101
Member since 2007 • 1386 Posts
well i think the gtx 460 would a be a good idea, its about 200 dollars and it has DX11 too great bang for your buck at that price.
neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts
well i think the gtx 460 would a be a good idea, its about 200 dollars and it has DX11 too great bang for your buck at that price.megapikachu101
If you do get a GTX 460, make sure you grab the 1GB version since you're gaming at that resolution of 1920x1200. If you can afford it, pick up two of the cards and you'll smoke through any game out there. You may have to double check if your PSU can handle two GTX 460 cards, but it wouldn't have any issues with one card, seeing as how you were running 2x 8800GT cards.
RockToTheLed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 RockToTheLed
Member since 2006 • 1409 Posts

Awesome, thanks a lot to the both of you, really appreciate the help. Just to clarify though, will a single gtx 460 outperform 8800's in sli? I can't afford to get two at the moment, but maybe after classes start up again I can. Thanks again, appreciate the replies.